Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I own a 91 gsxr1100. Recently I've installed a superbike handlebar on it. My original clutch en brake master cilinder does not fit on it properly anymore. Well, they fit, but are not orientated niceley.
I want to change/upgrade to those clutches/brake that have a seperate oil reservoir. But there are a lot of different sizes. What does it mean when a brake is size 16mm? What do I need?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I think that getting a smaller diameter, will get me a higher pressure on the capiler, but it will move less fluid. Getting a bigger diameter, lower pressure, but more displacement.
What I am looking for is, what is the stock diameter of the 1991 gsxr1100 front brake master cilinder and clutch master cilinder?
This way, braking will still work.
What model suzukis have the same value but have a separate reservoir?

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,776 Posts
The 1991 gsxr1100 has a hydraulic clutch?

The service manual may list the diameter of the brake MC piston (it does in some detail on the later GSX-R1000's). If not disassemble and measure. Assuming that the seals move with the piston, you're ideally after the ID of the bore (though the piston ID won't be much smaller).

You can start varying things from there but you really need to also know the caliper piston diameter(s) to do it right.

P.S. To my surprise, it has a hydraulic clutch. The same applies there. You need to know the MC and slave cylinder diameters. Their ratio is the key determiner.

·
Registered
17 Posts
So the the 1991 have the reservoirs integrated with the MC assembly? ...and they orient weird when you use different bars? My 1989 has a separate reservoir for brake MC, might that be an option? 4-piston calipers on the K, does M have that as well? If so seems reasonable it would work. Cable clutch on the K though.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I've used a few different master cylinders as I've evolved my 1100, the TL1000R clutch m/c is neat and works fine - another good upgrade was using a radial brake m/c from a GSXR1000 K5-K8, marked 3/4 (inch), I've used a 5/8 m/c from a late GSXR too, worked well, with a little more lever movement.
The whole front-end is different now, but I've found a photo from when I had the std forks, with different m/c fitted.
controlsresize (2).jpg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
this link suggests that front brake piston is 14 mm:
brakecrafters.com/collections/1991-suzuki-gsxr-1100/products/1986-1998-suzuki-gsx-r1100-clutch-master-cylinder-repair-rebuild-kit

1 - 8 of 8 Posts