Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to post to say hey & ask a few questions. I plan on getting my first bike this coming summer. My question is I'm 6'6" & 190Ibs, will I be comfortable on these machines?

I love Gixxers & afew other 600s as well. The SV650s looks pretty sharp & I hear thats the one I should start out on since I've never ridden a motorcycle before. But when the time comes its probably going to be to hard to turn down that GSXr600.

Thanks WIll
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,134 Posts
Go with the SV650....It is a good learning bike for beginners. That GSX-R 600 is not a learning bike, it is a bike that can and will kick you in the ass. If you want to learn to ride and be in control of a bike, go with something smaller on the HP end of things, and when you do move up to a bike that has more HP, you will respect it and not killing yourself or someone else in your first outing......just my .02
 

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
Joined
·
131,130 Posts
SV650S!!!
It's really much easier to ride and it ain't a "girl's bike". I've outridden both ZX7Rs and Fireblades on mine. And you'll appreciate the broad powerband it has compared to the Gixx6. Get one and if you at some point feel that you've out-grown it, go get a SV1000S
(hmm - maybe I'm a little biased, but anyway...)

As for your size: Some tall guys feel it's too small and some don't. If you feel your legs are too bent, you could get the footpegs off a SV650. They are somewhat lower and further to the front. Regarding weight: no problem - I weigh about 220 lbs (without gear) and I haven't had any problems.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks fellows, at 23 years old with a wife & spoiled little girl I have to much to live for.

I didnt even know there was a SV1000 is that to much for a beginner?

Thanks WIll
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
the sv1000 isn't part of the American linup. it is availible in canada and you can check it out at www.suzuki.ca

i'm 6'5" myself and i found the gixxer the most comfortable of all the japanese supersports i sat on, but i have since been convinced not to go with a "r-type" bike. i started looking at ducati's and although the monster isn't that comfortable, the tank feels like it was molded for someone 5'8", the 620 and 750 supersports felt pretty good, i think i'm actually going to get a 620 sport within a couple weeks.
good luck with making a decision

[ 02-03-2003, 05:18 PM: Message edited by: sixstang ]
 

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
Joined
·
131,130 Posts
Not quite: American Suzuki importer

Click on SV1000 or SV1000S

I don't think it's a good beginners bike. It's not out here yet, but it's precedessor, the TL1000S, was NOT a beginners bike. It might not have as much HP as even a GSX-R 750, but it has vast amounts of torque. As Motorcyclenews put it: "This will probably be the wheelie machine of the year!"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
212 Posts
Here's my .02 Since I'm fairly new to bikes, and will be getting my first bike next month. I have already made up my mind that I will be getting a gix600. Despite what everyone else says to go with the sv to start out with. But for me the gix is the most comfortable bike that I've been on. Not to mention since I have a some what of bad back to begin with and the gix600 doesn't even aggravate it at all.

I'm 6' tall and weigh in at around 170 lbs. So I'm a light weight person. And the 600 is a perfect fit for me. Besides it also seems to be the best well balanced machine that I've been on so far.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
648 Posts
Originally posted by SkyWalkeR600:
Just wanted to post to say hey & ask a few questions. I plan on getting my first bike this coming summer. My question is I'm 6'6" & 190Ibs, will I be comfortable on these machines?

I love Gixxers & afew other 600s as well. The SV650s looks pretty sharp & I hear thats the one I should start out on since I've never ridden a motorcycle before. But when the time comes its probably going to be to hard to turn down that GSXr600.

Thanks WIll
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">you should try those pocketbikes...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
648 Posts
Originally posted by morrisr:
...Since I'm fairly new to bikes, and will be getting my first bike next month... I will be getting a gix600... But for me the gix is the most comfortable bike that I've been on. Not to mention since I have a some what of bad back to begin with and the gix600 doesn't even aggravate it at all...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">you have a bad back, you said??? wait till you start riding it for hours on end... you gonna wish you didnt get a gixx... the gixx got the most racy ergos of all the japanese sportbikes... good luck on your back! you need a lot of bengays for that
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
212 Posts
Yeah, I know what you mean about riding hours on end. I'll deal with that when I get to that. That's why they make Aleve. hehe - lol

[ 02-06-2003, 05:01 PM: Message edited by: morrisr ]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
648 Posts
Originally posted by morrisr:
Yeah, I know what you mean about riding hours on end. I'll deal with that when I get to that. That's why they make Aleve. hehe - lol
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">you're truly a squid in every sens of the word
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,448 Posts
Originally posted by tanggoman:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by morrisr:
Yeah, I know what you mean about riding hours on end. I'll deal with that when I get to that. That's why they make Aleve. hehe - lol
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">you're truly a squid in every sens of the word</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">You're a grammar teacher in every "sens" of the word.


Just bustin' your balls.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
212 Posts
Originally posted by tanggoman:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by morrisr:
Yeah, I know what you mean about riding hours on end. I'll deal with that when I get to that. That's why they make Aleve. hehe - lol
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">you're truly a squid in every sens of the word</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Squid????? You have to start somewhere right? Thanks for you concern though.

[ 02-09-2003, 09:43 AM: Message edited by: morrisr ]
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top