Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI PEEPS

Got a problem, wanna buye a beginnerbike but I dont know which lol

UM what you think about a Ex250? Or mabye another one?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Dis is gonna generate Lots of replies! IMHO, bigger is not better here. I would start with a smaller - USED - bike like a SV650. Something that's easy to manuever and handle, without too much power at the throttle - so it's slightly easier to avoid huge mistakes. The Honda Hawk is also a good starter. If you want sportier, than a Honda 600 - F2/3/4. Small, light, not much power (stock). Take a class - MSF beginner course - no bike needed. Have fun! Be Safe!

Laers...
Michael J.

[ 09-07-2001: Message edited by: GSX_R750 ]

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
take the MSF course. can't go wrong. as for buying, try a small displacement used bike. a 250-500cc is a good start. you won't look as cool but boy will you learn. sport bikes tend to have a lot of "snap" when you throttle it so be careful if you do get one. don't forget your safety equipment either.

get a good quality DOT/Snell certified lid, boots,gloves, and at least a jacket (preferably leather). you'll hear plenty of horror stories about people not wearing proper gear and getting seriously hurt when they crash.

i wouldn't recommend buying a new bike. if/when you crash, you'll wish you bought used. I bought a 01' 600 as my 1st bike and boy was a sorry when i lowsided...
had to replace mucho expensive plastics.

·
Registered
109 Posts
This is like my 3rd week or so riding, and I got a 96FZR600... This is my beginner bike til I eventually get my gixxer. It's light as hell and easy to handle even for my puny ass... The MSF course is definitely the way to go, they teach you a lot of lil things you wouldnt neccessarily pick up on your own or learning from a friend. Good Luck and BE SAFE!

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
You are on the right track asking about the EX-250. Very forgiving bike and great for learning on. It also looks much better than most begginer bikes. Try to find a good mechanically sound one and don't worry about teh paint/plastic so much, there is a chance it might look a lil different after a ride
. Be safe and try to take one of the courses, they should help out tremendously.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to everyone for the reply
It really helps if you have no idea..

THANKS THANKS

RIDE SAFE

·
Farm OG
2,801 Posts
i dunno, i kinda like that 440hp turbobusa that just set the british motorcycle land speed record at 222ehm pee aitch.

if you could get your little rookie knobs on that thing, i'm sure it would be a VERY forgiving practice bike.

good luck and godspeed

·
Registered
5,519 Posts
i started with a 2000 600 katana it was a great starter and i think a under rated bike. its a great cruiser but it doesnt look to great and its real heavy. if i had it to do all over again i would buy like a 99 gxsr 600 because the resale sucked on the katana. you have to think about that. just take a saftey class i did it was great and worth the cash.dont be to scared to get a six hundred all my friends started on 600s good luck and be safe and allways wear the right gear. just my two cents

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I started with a Gix 600 2k1 and I'm still alive I want a 2K2 750 now But I'm insane so you might not want to got this route.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I don't know what learner restriction apply in your area, but i have only heard good things about Suzuki's baby bandit. Small, light weight and it revs to infinity..
I agree with the others on rider training though, it's well worth the dollars. Also make sure you budget in enough cash for some good gear, it will add up quick with helmet, jacket, boots, gloves, wet gear...it is endless..

Hope this helps..

·
Registered
79 Posts
What is the used bike market like in your area? I live in New Zealand and we get a lot of Jap import bikes over here. I was lucky to get a GSX-R250, it looks just like the bigger 600 and 750 but it is Much more forgiving and heaps cheaper to buy/run/maintain. It is still pretty quick ( 14.8sec 1/4 mile and a top speed of about 115MPH) and I am only just looking to upgrade to a 600 now that I have my full licence ( In N.Z you are not allowed anything bigger than 250cc till you have been riding for 2 years)

My advice would be to buy a small 250-500cc and thrash it hard till you can ride realy well and know you won't make any silly mistakes before you splash out on a newer,faster bike with lots of expensive plastic bits! I know other people here will say buy a 600 but I have managed to get into enough trouble on a 250cc......you don't need much power at all to do stupid things or go too fast and kill yourself before you know how to ride properly.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Da Chick 2001,

I had a '95 EX-250 till this summer when I bought a 2k1 GSXR-600. Yes, the 250 is a good beginners bike in some respects. But, if money is a consideration, why bother buying the 250 for riding for a couple of weeks then buying a supersport? I only bought the 250 because of lack of funds. I had to relearn riding when I got the Gixxer, for one, because I was not used to being able to take turns/twisties at more comfortable and higher speeds. The feel of the two bikes is different. Borrow a friends 600 >. Like others, I suggest taking the MSF course and getting the bike that you really want. By the way, I was going to wait till next summer to get a new bike, but I starting seeing a couple of chics on EX-250's, so I had to be macho and get a new one this year.

·
Registered
14,162 Posts
My reply might ba a bit late but Ill toss my 2 cents anyhow.
I think your best bet will be to get a used Kawasaki EX500, or a Honda CBR 600 F2 or F3.
While the 250 might be a forgiving bike, you will out grow it rather quickly.
I would buy one that is cheap to insure and that you might not mind too much if you drop it.
I started out with a 94 EX500 before I got my 2K1 Gixxer 750 and I managed to drop the EX500 in the parkinlot twice
and lowsided once

·
Registered
79 Posts
Im not so sure about growing out of the 250 that quickly! I have had it for about 1 1/2 years now and although extra power would be nice it is still a good bike for me. I use it daily getting to work (25miles) and general cruzing around and I don't have any complaints. It is much lighter and easier to turn than the bigger bikesat low speed,and I don't know about the others here but last time I went out with a few other 600 and 750's I was keeping up if not beating them in the twisties beacause you can throw it around faster in the turns. Don't get me wrong here....if someone offered me a 600 I would take it, but the 250 is always going to be a good bike and goes harder than you think, and it sounds oh so sweet at 18,000rpm with a custom pipe
)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks again, really sweet that you are helping

Yes, I will be safe thank you!

later
drive safe

·
Registered
16 Posts
I started with a 600 Katana. Great beginner bike. And I have to say that the rider and safety classes are a must, plus they'll help with the Insurance...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts