Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My GSXR 750 is done for and I'm replacing it with a Daytona 675 R; if I was wary of wrecking the GSXR in the track I'm even more about the Daytona. Honestly i wanted a bike with ABS for the street and I don't want to buy a 1000cc; took me a while to find a non-gray market bike with ABS and it's a Daytona. Tons of CF parts, questionable parts availability and not a whole lot of options for aftermarket street fairings...

Having a gray market bike here is a PITA as you might not be able to insure it. Most people couldn't care less, but I like my ducks in a row. This has made my options a bit, uhm, questionable... These are the non-gray market bikes that I might be able to get:

- Ninja 650 - they are rare.
- Ninja 300 - also rare.
- KTM 390 - tons of them out there.
- Yamaha R3 - a dime a dozen.
- Suzuki Gladius - not so common, but they come up for sale

So I'm a fast B group rider, never felt comfortable in the A group and that is what I want to achieve here. End goal would be to be able to build up my skills and confidence to the level I can take the Daytona to the track and actually enjoy it. It's not like it would be my first track day or like if I were a noob, but I feel like I'm at that point where mistakes start to get you in trouble, so I want to have some coaching.

The advantage I think the Gladius has is the lack of fairing, much cheaper to setup for the track; but no one seems to track them.

The KTM looks like the best option "out of the box", but considering I'd have to spend money on suspension on either one, does the stock advantage remains on the modified bike?

I loathe the ninjette and most krap-a-sakis based on my experience with them; I've owned 4 kawasakis. From my own research it seems that whatever is available to build the Ninjette into a trackbike is also available for the R3...

Which gets me to the R3; looks like the most balanced one.

So which one would you pick?

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
I’d go with the ninja 300. As a matter of fact I did just that. I picked up a wrecked 300 for pretty cheap. 1800 miles :banana:

·
Captain Obvious ... because obviously it’s obvious
3,860 Posts
Depends on the price difference between the R3 and the 390

·
That’s Mister Chalet To You ....
7,745 Posts
I've seen a video of the little ninja making an ass out of all the big bikes on laguna seca.

I've seen the same thing in person at a local track.

·
Registered
369 Posts
No one seems to track the Gladius?

Man there is a whole race class for these types of bikes like SV650, Kawasaki ERN / F / Ninja 650, basically 650 twins. Look up Minitwins.

The Gladius is Suzuki's idea to feminise the SV650 to get the girl riders into bikes...Not realising that women are like men... i.e human and they like a bike for what it is and can do, and not necessarily one with frilly looks and name (in the UK we called the bike Gladys).

Anyway aside from looks...Its a updated naked SV650, and there are many people who use them for racing with the minimal mods the series allows. Many are also used as track bikes.

There are also plenty of parts and I believe they'd be even cheaper to repair than the newer 300s you mentioned. I think they may be more fun too as SVs are great bikes and great way to get into racing / trackdays without the same level of cost and commitment of a Supersport or Superbike.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is very little support for the Gladius. I think that's because it is heavier than previous SVs and the engine updates don't really make up for it. A friend had a Gladius, actually killed himself riding it, girls would come up and compliment the bike at gas stations; it was actually weird, the bike did draw them in. I think the design was right on the money to attract females, but it alienated the existing SV 650 fandom and females are not known for buying motorcycles...

I haven't done anything about this; I can't get myself to pull the trigger as I'm not made of money... Setting up a 300 is a money pit; I'll spend more than I would on a 600 to set it up and there is no way I'll ever recover a fraction of that money when I'm done with it. With a 600 I can get away with just fairings, rearsets and clip ons.

·
Super Moderator
14,992 Posts
Well fuck man, buy a Gixxer 600 and be done with hit. I damn sure wouldn't go with the Trumpet. How's the parts supply on those these days?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I got myself a 750. Cheap enough, don't care if I crash it (although I'd prefer not to!) and I leave my abs, tc, wc, Aprilia 1100 for road (mostly)

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
As I said I'm planning to attend training with a racer I asked him what bike I should get.

Wait for it...

m_bajaj-pulsar-200-ns_15.jpg

Bajaj Pulsar 200NS. He said "start with a 200NS and once you've fully mastered that bike you can move to one of the 300s" This is not from his training sessions but I've seen they do a lot of these exercises and riding on go-kart tracks:

Parts for those bikies are dirt cheap; can get all new plastics for the same price it would cost to paint a set of race fairings for a 600.

Edit: This is one of his training sessions:

https://www.facebook.com/MayaMotos/videos/1699919990032704/

·
Registered
21 Posts
I got myself a 750. Cheap enough, don't care if I crash it (although I'd prefer not to!) and I leave my abs, tc, wc, Aprilia 1100 for road (mostly)

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
sweet. I did the same thing but Mine looks way cheaper than yours. Gotta love that paint scheme :yumyum

·
Registered
43 Posts
Ever considered a Honda RS125 or Yamaha TZ125 or 250? They're huge fun to ride, and you'll learn a lot on one. Might be easier to find in Mexico (intuitive hunch, I honestly have no idea) than some of the other bikes you mentioned.

The 1st gen Ninja 250 is down on power from the 2nd gen and the 300, but they are incredibly cheap, and I've seen people ride them at the track. The hard part about answering this question is I have no idea what's available where you are or what the scene is like.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts