Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

where to put the mirrors on my streetfighter

2K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  Andy James 
#1 ·
I was thinking on the back of my hands, you know if someone was to make a glove that had a small mirror on the back of the hand part with a wind break in front of it at a angle. Don't know if you would be able to see around your forearm though. and where to put the instrument cluster (2001 GSXR)

#3 ·
That's a tough question, are you keping the stock-style fairing? Are you keeping the stock handlebars or going with a high-mount of some sort? If you do some searching you can find a few different styles of bar-ends, some are just a round mirror at the end of the bar and some of them kind of flip up over/or under the side of the grip. You'll have almost unlimited possibilities of different styles and mounts if you go with higher(like MX stle) bars.

#6 ·
I have a set of very small bar ends taht I got from Lockhart Phillips. They fit on a slide in mount and are only 2.5in in dia. They make one that is a little larger as well.
Bones

#8 ·
my bike is temporarily decked out streetfighter style, I will try to get pics up... not a very clean look for the moment, but I'm just too lazy to switch everything out, I'm putting race plastic on it in two weeks for the track, and I was just too lazy to do it more than once. I've got HP racing lights up front with no upper, or lowers, no instruments, and a bar end mirror for now. I also had my front race fender painted titanium silver, si the look is quite different. I couldn't figure outhow to get lights on it, I will try to get pics of what I did to get lights on and turn signals as well.

#10 ·
Originally posted by speed-racer:
I was thinking on the back of my hands, you know if someone was to make a glove that had a small mirror on the back of the hand part with a wind break in front of it at a angle. Don't know if you would be able to see around your forearm though. and where to put the instrument cluster (2001 GSXR)
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Nice color, wherever you put the mirrors!!!

#11 ·
Since I hate these things on my handlebars, I put my mirror on the frame, just above my leg.

Take a look at the picture to see what I mean:

#14 ·
that is one nasty bike! ( i mean that in a good way!) i don't read dutch so.....a few questions, please! any probs with the battery in it's new place? (how long did it take to hide it there?)
does the subframe have any mods, or did you just peel the plastic off? what are those headlights? stock 750's in a new hanger? why a 750 head? (i run a 1052, any benifits to a 750 on mine?)
i've wanted to do a minimal bike, but never thought of hanging the rear end out like that! nice work! post more as the project continues!

#15 ·
Thanks, nasty is the look I went for

I still want to put the site up in english in stead of dutch, with more info .... if I've got the time.

It was mostly build with the help of friends who have done these things before, like the battery-tray, which wasn't a lot of work. It took about 2 hours to put it there.
You need to take care of the overflow-tube from the battery. I forgot so my frame got dirty with battery-acid. Thank god it's alloy, not steel.
I've got a maintenance-free battery now.

The headlights are still the original '86 items, in the original housing but with a simple bracket which hangs from the top yoke.

The subframe is not modified (yet) so what you see is what you get when you take of all the plastic. I fitted an '87 1100 one-piece seat though (had an ugly red two-piece) and am planning to fit some sort of race seat-unit, if I can find the right one for a reasonable price. But on the other hand it's fine like this and sort of exclusive

About the 750 head: first of all, I didn't do the engine work myself. If you want specific info about that you can check out the forum on RNS and look for a guy called Frankenstein. He build the engine (and did a very good job).
It seems the 750 head has a better flow than the 1100 head and the inlet ports are straight.
One minor problem with that; the carbs are more 'up-wards' which means there is no room for K&N filters so I had to use foam filters.
I don't know if it works with an 1052 engine, but I can't see why not. I believe it's a common mod among dragracers 'cause it gives a lot more top end power without any expensive goodies. You loose a little low down grunt but I'm determined to get that back as well

With the 36mm Mikuni CV's I've still got some 140+ hp at the rear wheel.

That's about it as far as your questions go. I've got a digital camera so if you want some detailed shots of some parts, let me know.

#17 ·
It's gonna be even more of a Hot Rod when the tank is painted: matt black with flames

At first I had some old flatslides from an '86 750, bored out to 33/34 mm. The bike ran okay with them, but I didn't like the feel of 'm. So I changed to CV's when I found the filters.

It's got 134 pk, which is the same as HP. Don't know about the ft/lbs figures but I will try to find out.
Btw, this was on a Jaros bench, not a Dynojet. It's said that Dynojet readings are 10% higher than on a Jaros bench, but keeping estimates on the safe side I stay with 140 hp at the wheel.

Next week we have GIXXERDAY here in Holland and I'm gonna put it on a Dynojet then. Gonna put my money where my mouth is ...

Am I mixxing up then and than????

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.