Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I need your expertise. I have a 1989 gsxr 1100 that I need the upper fairing replaced on. Who do you recommend for this at a descent price? I've tried MAW and JC Whitney and they have both discontinued this year. I would REALLY hate to pay the dealer price through suzuki! Any ideas??? Thanks in advance.

Aaron

·
Registered
62 Posts
gsxr1100....check on Ebay, I saw one go last week for less than $250. I got an endurance upper for my 89 sling for $100.

E

------------------
88 Slingshot!

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Try Sharkskins I just got a solo tail from them for my 91 750. Good quality, and fit great.

[This message has been edited by TSAVO5150 (edited 04-13-2001).]

·
Registered
257 Posts
EBay is a good bet, I just picked up an 89 1100 Maier ABS upper for $40. I've got a 92 750 but I'm converting to the old style upper.

If you want to paint up the bike to look like new or similar you probably want to use OEM plastic. The aftermarket stuff (especially the fiberglass) is just no where near the quality of the original especially when it come to mounting the lights etc (though this is more critical on the 91-92s with the faired-in headlights). Even if you need to repair an original piece a decent person with a plastic welder can do amazing stuff and it will fit way better than aftermarket. I bought a Targa fiberglass street upper thinking it would be easier to fit than repairing a beat up stock piece and I was totally wrong. The fit is crap especially around the headlight, the fittings to mount the lights are totally mickey mouse and the finish would require many hours of work to paint up right (didn't stop me from using it, my bike is rattlecan black). That being said I'm impressed by the Maier piece I just bought, I haven't tried to mount it but the finish looks much better than the Targa fiberglass and the fact that it's ABS means it probably won't look too much different from and OEM piece when painted up. It's got a few rough edges and I need to drill the mounting holes myself but overall it looks pretty good.

Lastly, if you're trying to return to a total stock look remember that painting can easily push the price of aftermarket stuff right up there with OEM. Some of the suzuki paints are pretty subtle metalflakes or pearls and trying to duplicate those (and then doing decals etc) is a lot of work.

Matt

------------------

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
maybe they've gotten better recently, but years ago when i bought some maier abs bodywork for an 86 750, that stuff was garbage. at first glance the quality looked decent, but when it came around to fitting it, it was a bitch and a half.

i bought the rear tail section panels, and you know how the stock panels have these nipples that press fit into those rubber donut cushion things? well, the maier panels didn't have those nipples! instead they came with these threaded anchors that you kinda had to shove in the donuts, and then you had to drill the panels and screw them into the anchors. which is nice if you like the frankenbike look, with bolt heads and shit sticking out all over the place.

oem bodywork may be pretty expensive, but when it comes down to quality and ease of fitment, the aftermarket can't compare (unless you're racing, or are trying to fit custom fairings, etc.)

------------------

1 - 5 of 5 Posts