Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was wondering if anyone knows of good place to order overbore piston kits fer my 86 gsxr 750 here in the states
web sites would be big help too
thanks

[ 06-13-2002, 11:35 AM: Message edited by: pan ]

·
Registered
178 Posts
i always use ape. they are incredible people who do great work! give them a call!

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
Originally posted by pan:
i was wondering if anyone knows of good place to order overbore piston kits fer my 86 gsxr 750 here in the states
beb sites wold big help too
thanks
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Having just completed my big-bore I gotta ask you a couple of questions and give you the benefit of my experience...

How big do you want to go?
With APE you have 771, 907 & 955cc options. I went 907 and the the bill was just shy of $1300 without the cams. APE has an engine kit (do it this way if you go 907/955) for $1124 where you get pistons, sleeves, WX1100 cams, valve springs, cam sprockets and cylinder studs.

I got pistons, sleeves, Titanium valve retainers, cam chain tensioner and gaskets for my money. I used the stock '92 cam & springs.

What other options do you have other than a big-bore kit? How about an 86-88 gixxer 1052cc motor? or an 88-92 gixxer 1127cc motor? or an 1100 Katuna motor? or a Bandit 1200 motor?

Unless your 750 motor is binned you could get lucky and find a >1000cc A/O motor for slightly more than the cost of a big-bore.

If you do the big-bore you're also going to need (unless you only go 771cc) bigger carbs and probably some head/intake work so the motor does't starve. So if you buy 36mm/38mm/40mm carbs you're ready for a big-bore OR a Bandit/1100/Katuna motor.

Explore the option of dealing with a local shop or with Cycle Concepts (BBWATERCOOL). I checked with the local places and they were going to be getting the work done by APE and doing the install for me. This may be the case with CC or they may be getting parts elsewhere. I did as much of the labor as I was able, which was about half. Piston ring tools and a Dyno are not in my tool box so I had to have others help/do that for me.

Here's a brief list of other parts you might end up purchasing...It's what I ended up spending.

38mm carbs from a 92 750 from ebay(used)...$205
Jet kit for carbs (new)... $135
Intakes for carbs & K&N filters (used)...$100 (from gixxer.com member mark mcgillicuty)
92 valve head & cams from ebay...$120
86 block from ebay...$35
Valve job & decking of head at local shop (parts & labor)...$290
Labor done by others (Piston install, cali head problem & dyno work)...$700

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
WOW! Great help here love it!
Im was thinking on the 907 kit the biger one id need newer block was also going to get set of new keihin flat slides. I cant aford the fcr but can the crs ther are bout 600 dolors. I know guy that did head work for erion raceing honda so he sould be able to do good job fer me. He also has a dyno i may use him or may be i can talk him into a free one after head is done

I did find a bandit 1200 came with
motor
carbs
coils
all wireing and ignition for 2800 dolors was a `99
sounds good price but i have a hard time saving money im beter comming up with little at time.

Or maybe getting loan fer 4000 and just buying a used 98 or 99 bandit 12 and putting motor and forks and swingarm on my gsxr. And just setting my motor aside and selling it and the other bandit parts and getting lot of my loan paid off or new goodys fer the 1200 this rout seams easyer and quicker power
A one weekend project

Then also would be more motor to build later. Wonder what a bandit can be bored to? hehe
Thanks fer all your help
I was getting board with my old 750 ive had fer 7 yeard about... this forum and site has got me going again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks again

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
1403/1404 is the biggest you can go without stroking it witha big block... we do offer all types of engine packages for all sportbikes...not only do we do big bore kits, engine installation after the engine is put back together, but we extend our customer service to the track for chasis setup...there is so much more than just selling someone an engine package and letting them figure out the rest on their own...we are there for all our customers to the very end...give us a call if you are looking for the very best in customer service...

thanks,
dwayne

·
Registered
178 Posts
Wonder what a bandit can be bored to? 1371cc from ape (that is with there big block) i have had a 1216 cc before and it was ungodly fast! i couldn't imagine a 1371!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts