Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a Suzuki Oil filter wrench. Suzuki part number 09915-40610. My local dealer looked at me like I was from Mars when I said i wanted to get one of these. They said just to use a regular oil filter wrench.

I couldnt find anyone online who sold these. Anyone got an idea?

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
they really only need to be hand tight anyway
:eek:hmy :banghead :scratch :wtf

:nono :nono :nono :nono :nono :nono :nono :nono :nono

I always use K&N for replacement oil filters, they come with a nut attachment :lmao for easy tightening and undoing... not to mention the fact that they're more effective than OEM filters, and just as cheap!

·
Banned
2,865 Posts
filters on bikes only need to be hand tight..obviously a good hand tighten though..give it the extra power on ur last turn

unless your a weak, u dont need a wrench
bikes arent like cars, cant hand tighten the oil filter on a car

·
He Who Touches Himself
6,620 Posts
you cannot tighten the oil filter on yur car with yur hand????

I have a Navigator and a Camry and have no problems using my hand to tighten 'em....

·
Biased Multi Level Marketing Dealer - take into co
382 Posts
I wouldn't feel safe at all knowing my oil filter was only on there hand-tight.

They've GOT to have oil filter wrenches/sockets whatever they wanna call them... for Suzukis they're all pretty much the same

Hand tight plus 1/4 to 1/2 a turn or it can come off. And a pair of filterpliers works better.:cheers
Aftermarket filters are Hand Tight which is 1/2 to 1/2 Past Contact, not past hand tight.

OEM Filters are often 2-2.5 turns past contact. This is due to the different O-Ring style.

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

Bob

·
Registered
128 Posts
Sorry to dig this up, but just to clarify in case anyone was relying on this for tightening up the filter, here's some info from the 08 gsxr600 service manual.

"Install the new oil filter. Turn it by hand until you feel that the oil filter o-ring contacts the oil filter mounting surface. Then, tighten the oil filter two full turns (or to the specified torque) using the special tool" Bolding added by me for emphasis.

followed by

"Never tighten the oil filter by hand only" & that was bolded by Suzuki not me.

The specified torque is 20nm or 14.5 lb-ft btw. Maybe the oil filter is able to be torqued up by hand to 20nm, but I don't want to guess - there's a specified torque for a reason. & I lockwire that sucker on as well :chucks

·
Registered
38 Posts
This is the most ridiculous thread I have ever seen!!!!!! Oil filters car/truck/bike etc. do not come loose randomly! 14.5 ft-lbs can be achieved by anyone's grandma. It is seriously not that tight. Use a rag to grab it if your hand is slipping. Once the engine runs it kind of sucks the filter to it. Im an auto tech not a bike tech but an oil filter is an oil filter. No need to put so much thought into it lol

1,931 Posts
Oh sure...Tighten your filter with that thing then watch the trail of oil from your rear view mirror!
Care to elaborate on that a bit? Ive used those before and had no problem.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I drive a Honda s2000. These car are notorious for filters coming off, working at Honda myself we had a filter come in and the tech said he tightened it all the way. Mind a big guy at that so I went and got the filter torque stick, yes we have one, and check it. At 16.5 ft lbs I was still able to turn the filter even though we could not with our hands. Personally if I was tracking the bike I would torque it but for street I would think hand tight will work.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts