Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I laid my bike down a couple of weeks ago, was going slow when I went down, the bike slid into the curb (no frame sliders) and cracked open the stator cover, releasing all the oil in the engine.

I have all my replacement parts (stator cover, rad hose, fairings and FRAME SLIDERS), but before I start putting this all back together I want to make sure I've done everything I can to insure that no metal debris got into the engine.

I know the best thing I should have done at the crash was to scan the ground for small fragments and not turn on the engine. Unfortunatley, I had to turn it on for about two mins to power walk it back up the small hill to my garage again.

So my question is, where do I look for metal fragments besides the obvious hole where my stator cover cracked open?

TIA!

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Well, once the cover is removed the area in question will show any metal that entered the covered area. The oil would have trapped metal and debris. Other than that all you can really do is drain the oil. Refill and drain again and change the filter. The Stator drains directly into the pan so any fragments will end up in the pan or filter. If you notice debris pull the pan and inpsect and clean.

Good luck

·
Premium Member
2,426 Posts
doesnt the 06 gixxers have a magnet in the oil drain screw? i have an 04 and it does.....

·
Premium Member
2,426 Posts
the whole engine isnt aluminum.... a lot of the moving parts inside aren't aluminum.

·
Premium Member
18,689 Posts
most all parts inside aren't alum. if you have a magenet on the oil filter i would go with that. When i change my scotts filter i just check the magnet. Also remember that a little bit of metal is okay. clutch plate stuff and other parts. you'll know if you have a major issue

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.