While sound in concept I think there are some things that need to be pointed out about nerf balls..
The official company line -
One of Parker Brothers' most successful ventures in the seventies began with a four-inch polyurethane foam ball. In 1969, a games inventor came to the company with a volleyball game that was safe for indoor play. After studying the game carefully, Parker Brothers executives decided to eliminate everything but the foam ball. In 1970 the NERF® Ball was introduced as the "world's first official indoor ball." It didn't harm furniture, windows or people.
The truth -
Nerf balls, 1971
The Official Nerf Ball is tested for flammability against the standard set by the 1969 Child Protection and Toy Safety Act. The Nerf Ball failed, bursting into flames about two seconds after contact with a lit match.
Running into the school I found paramedics working on my son. There aren't many greater horrors for a parent. Corey was conscious, but in so much pain he could barely acknowledge my presence. His coach was telling me that his upper right arm had been broken after he was hit in the arm by a Nerf ball. It was obvious his coach was nearly in shock too, and I felt myself sliding that direction, so I didn't question how a Nerf ball could do so much damage.
At the hospital my son's arm was x-rayed and we then learned how a Nerf ball could shatter a strong 13-year old boy's arm. Corey had what the doctor initially referred to as a "simple bone tumor", later he told me the correct full name, "unicameral bone cyst". The Nerf ball hit Corey dead center on the tumor.
except taken from http://www.siliconsalley.com/archive/nancygetsi14.html
sure your bike may not have a unicameral bone cyst, but are you willing to risk it?
And then this VERY disturbing piece.. (copy and paste into brower, a dl should start)
This for me was the clincher, I mean wtf
who would have imagined?
[ 10-23-2002, 03:35 AM: Message edited by: gsxrboy ]