Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of sanding the outer lip of the wheels and then polishing them. I already have the front ready for polish after I go over it again with the 5k wetsanded. I noticed that the rear wheels have a type of white coating under the paint...Does anyone know what it is?

·
Registered
431 Posts
um, primer maybe?

·
Registered
431 Posts
definitly post pics, and maybe post up a bit more about your experience with the process, im kinda interested in doing it on my black/silver.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will tell you about what I have learned. Here is what I bought;
1: 100 grit
2: 200 grit
3: 600 grit
4: 850 grit
5: 1000
6: 1200
7: 1500
8: 2500

just start with the lowest until you get all the paint off and then sand and sand until she's smooth. I started to wet sand at about 1000 or 1200 I forgot and now have to put the finishing touches on the front and then polish with mothers, and then polish some more.
The front wheel took me about 2-3 hours sanding and then another 1.5 hours wet sanding. (with a 3 mos old boy to look after) The rear however, it took me 3 hours on just the left side!!!! That is going to be the bitch I gaurauntee it. If you have and questions PM me.

·
Registered
113 Posts
has anybody ever polish the entire rim...my rim the lip is polished bike used to be blue and i painted my bike baby blue and white so the electric blue doesnt look right lol im going to repaint them but if i can polish then and make them look chrome would look better...any opinions

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Last night I finished the rear wheel and got it ready to polish....it sucked but grin and bear it. I will be done with the bike by this weekend and I will post some pics to see if any of you are interested in doing it. So far it looks bad ass.

·
Registered
431 Posts
could you use a dremel or something faster then hand sanding or would it damage, warp, mark, the rim somehow?

·
Registered
225 Posts
use aircraft remover, to get the paint off

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.