Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My MOT is up soon so I'll be sorting a few things out (rather than patching them up) and I want to get rid of my wheels and forks. Mainly 'cause the choice of tyres for 18" wheels is a bit sad. SPORTS TOURER?!?!?! Oh, and their ugly as fuck too!
I've been told that almost all the Gixer front ends are interchangable and almost all rear wheels will fit.
So. What would be the best front end and rear wheel to fit my ('86 750G) Gix?
The only factor that may come into it is that I want to keep my Ohlins rear shock (now that I've found out from Richard at Harris Performance that a rebuild will cost around £60 )......
Anyone changed 'em? What's the effect on the handling?

------------------

·
Registered
62 Posts
Gixer750,
Your 86 would be a mean machine if you went with a set of 90 750 tele forks (less weight) and a set of 96 1100 wheels (lightest yet) Or better yet I know a guy in Canada who got stuck with a set of Marvic Penta wheels. I could only give you his number though?

Keep your Ohlins, I have one on my 88 and it is like God himself is pushing your bike down the road.

E

------------------
88 slingshot modded to the gills!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Hello,

I have a modded 86 750 and I am running 93 1100 wheels with michelin pilot race "soft" tires, they are the sweetest. I have an 88 1100 front end on the bike planning to install racetech .85 springs and gold valve emulators that I have just bought. The rear suspension is a fox shock. You will have to get some spacers made up for both the front and back as the 17" wheels will not be a direct bolt on, but that is pretty simple. Then slap some Nissan 4 piston calipers.Require a custom bracket to be made to fit the calipers to the 86-88 750 or 1100 front ends.

PS : Get rid of the ugly anti dive units using some aluminum caps (thats whats I plan to do).

Best of luck mine rides awesome on the 17's need help email me, ciao

theghoul

------------------

·
Registered
74 Posts
For the rear I used the same spacers, but I had to use a 91 rear caliper bracket as the disc is a different diameter. If you use swap the disc with your old one you won't need any thing else. I'm saving for a complete USD front end to bolt on my front. I've noticed that I'm going to need to shorten the kick stand as the smaller diameter wheel in the back already has my bike at a steeper angle when on the stand.

------------------
Wes
1987 GSXR 1100

·
Registered
434 Posts
I have a 97 750 front end on my 86 requires a fair bit of machining to install a 95 or earlier is basicly a bolt on as for the back end I have a 5.5" 17 rear wheel it just clears with a 180 tire have to watch the brands though and the back of the brake caliper has to be ground for clearance to the rimdont now what you weigh but I weigh 210 lbs you need to sort out spring rates front and back to get the bike to handle properly currently have a prossive 500-600 lbs rear spring which works grate going to 1.0kg/mm fronts the stock fork springs are pretty soft

------------------
86 moded one end to the other

·
Registered
95 Posts
Yeah I', a little heavier than you... about 220lbs.. I know that my bike still has the stock shock in the back. Just did the front forks, springs are stock but have way more than the minimum 377mm length. Also used 15weight fork oil.
I'm thinking I just want to swap the rear and leave the front for now.. but then that would mean 2 different tire types on the bike.. I think the front has BT017's right now.. nice touring tire. hah.

How much you think Al would part with a rear rim/front end for?

------------------

·
Registered
434 Posts
I have a polished 17" front rim for sale $175.00 that will work on your bike

------------------

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have a D205 on the back and it is as slippery as hell. The front I have a Metzeler MEZ1. I really don't like running the different sizes set up and want to convert the front as soon as possible. When I put the rear 17 on the back end lowered quite substantially. I really need to shorten the kickstand or swap it out. Any one have any suggestions for the kickstand.

------------------
Wes
1987 GSXR 1100

·
Banned
982 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by theghoul:

PS : Get rid of the ugly anti dive units using some aluminum caps (thats whats I plan to do).

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Yeah,thats what I did!!I cut out a plate and welded it shut,then had the chrome plated!!
But,after You do that..send them out to someone that can rebuild them so they work without the anti-dive!!I sent them to Lindemann Engineering!!!They work great!!
I get a discount,if anyones interested!?

I went with the Performance Machine Calipers and rotors,well I had no choice,I got the set up for $350!

------------------
"Joey-Red"
TWIN CYCLES
3 Bruckner blvd
Bronx,N.Y.10454
(718)292-TWIN

"PIMPIN AINT EASY"

[This message has been edited by Joey-GSXR1100 (edited 05-29-2001).]

·
Registered
434 Posts
I modified the stock kick stand by cutting the foot off shortening the arm about an Inch if memory still works and then rewelded the foot back on with a good arc rod for cast iron works just fine. Been about a year so I would say it wont break.

------------------

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Why so many Canucks here. I dig it. So I've got a 95 1100 rear arm coming for my bike. I've toyed with the idea of new wheels (maybe just rear) for some fat rubber. Is there anyone in Vancouver with some bits to flog? I'm tired of Performance and eBay...and with Daytona outta whack. Go there, I got gixxer full leathers for $100!

------------------
keep it rubber side down....

·
Registered
0 Posts
I have 88 forks on my 86 but I wanna get some 95 inverted. I heard they were the lightest. These will work for now. I also have PM wheels(Performance Machine)17x3.5in front and 17x5.5 in back shod with Metzeler MEZ2's 180 rear. It clears the braced swingarm no prob but comes within a 1/4 inch of the chain. Had to mod the rear caliper stay but I'm runnin a PM piece anyway. Looks bad as hell with the curved 92 cooler and Yosh tank ,it has a touch of old and new .

------------------

[This message has been edited by OldSchoolGixxer (edited 06-03-2001).]

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
The complete front ends are all interchangeable on anything '95 or older.

The wheels are sorted out easily if you head over to the "unofficial oil cooled gixxer" web site.

It's easily done too.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts