Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 GSXR-600. This is my first post to this board.

Just wanted to say what's up to everyone, seems like a lot of good info here. I'm from the north side of houston if anyone ever wants to get together and ride.

I also wanted to tell yall about something that happened to me last sunday. My friends and I have been working on our own video since summer, and were nearly done. My best friend (randy stevens) lost control when he set his 2000 CBR929 down from a wheelie about 110mph. He got severe headshake and lost it. His body ended up hitting the concrete divider (on I-45) and he died in surgery 4 hours later. I was right beside him and saw the whole thing. His funeral is tommorrow.

I thought about selling my GSXR (i just got it feb 14), but I know randy wouldnt want me to do that. I'm just going to be a lot more cautious and when I pull it up make sure it's somewhere away from traffic, dividers etc.

Everyone knows the 929's have problems with headshake. He didn't have a steering dampener, and didn't set down totally straight. Headshake is something to worry about on any long wheelie on any bike though, so be carefull.

Look forward to sharing info with yall and even riding with some of you...

Shane

p.s.
This is the best 600 i have ever ridden... Power wheelies even in second gear sitting down.. I clutch it up though simply because it's smoother, more consistent, and you can come up sooner. I can clutch it up through third gear sitting down.

------------------
Live on the northside of houston. Ride a 2001 GSXR-600. Instant messenger id is :shanebuss

Skills: Wheelies. ;-)
Any questions about shifting pulling it up etc, lemme know. BE CAREFULL

·
Registered
177 Posts
sorry to hear that i prolly have ridden with yall before if you are peeps that hang at JCI and westhiemer ;(

im here in houston right on Westheimer in the middle of the cruise strip ever wanna hook up ICQ me

------------------

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You probably have....

You probably remember Jake... He rides a yellow/black 2000 triumph tt 600...

He's probably the best rider i've ever seen in my life... Randy was always with him on a 2000 red/white 929RR.. He had kind of long hair.

Shane

------------------
Live on the northside of houston. Ride a 2001 GSXR-600. Instant messenger id is :shanebuss

Skills: Wheelies. ;-)
Any questions about shifting pulling it up etc, lemme know. BE CAREFULL

·
Sexy Irish Man God
20,879 Posts
Shane that is awful man! My condolenses to you and your friends family. I am happy to hear that you are keeping your bike. I can't imagine how that feels.

So you have the 2001/600? I am looking to get this bike in Dec or January and would really appreciate some more detailed input from you. I assume this is not your first bike so what were you riding previous to the 600?
What is your overall feeling of the bike? I am not a wheelie person really but am very very interested in some insight on the bike. How does it handle in the twisties? What is the mid range like? Have you added any mods at all?
Oh please inlighten me I sit at home all day and drool at the though of my new bike

Thanks alot!
jontflesh

------------------
http://www.thelambsdenver.com
http://jontflesh.gixxer.com
http://pimp.yermommashouse.net

·
Registered
890 Posts
it's a sad day when any rider goes down. my deepest sympathies.

------------------
Love Peace Happiness Ride

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
Flesh,
Just get the damn bike, it freakin rules!!! Twisties, what twisties, it simply eats them up. I'm just a 600 kind of guy and this one is the king!!!

Previously owned
1997 Suzuki Katana 600
2000 Honda CBR F4

------------------
- Jasen Hicks
Yellow and Black 2001 GSXR-600

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry to hear about your friend. If you would like to meet up with a group for weekend rides, look into www.houstonsportbikeriders.com
You guys didn't happen to be on the way back from Galveston on I-45 heading to houston, did you? On Sunday afternoon, after a long ride through the backroads of highway 6/crabb river road/ and fm 521, I came back out on I-45 by the dog track. It was aruond 4-5 pm. A group of three bikes passed me up in heavy traffic. I was on a gix 750, full leathers taking it easy. Hope to see you out on the road and sorry about your friends death.
John

------------------

1 - 8 of 8 Posts