Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's project-time... I got a 5.5" wheel from eBay and it arrived today... the paint is drying now, and from everything I can measure, it looks like the thing will fit perfectly with the cush-drive that came with it... only thing is, I'm not sure that my hugger-fender (it's OEM from the `89 model with the 4.5" wheel) is gonna have enough space to fit the 180 tire in there... anyone know? Did they go to a different hugger-fender in `91 on the 1100's? If so, anyone got one they wanna swap/sell?

·
YAAFM Mod
3,016 Posts
The 88-89 hugger fits with the 180 just fine. At least it did when I did that swap back in 90 to my 88 750.
Bones

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
scrap the hugger....
-Karl

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
My hugger does look tight for a 180 tyre but if it does fit with the 5.5 please let me know and I will then probably throw one on mine too.

I don't fancy putting a 5.5 on if the hugger goes as everything then gets covered in crap.

I have looked at huggers from 'L' + models and they have different fittings

Andy

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Bones... it sure does *look* tight, but I'll know more when I'm actually ready to wrestle it in there (later today or tomorrow).

Karl: I'd *love* to be able to just 86 the thing and have nice, clean, rain-free rides... that ain't gonna happen, and much as I like the look of the thing without the hugger, I like the look of road-grime all over my rear shock and battery less.

Andy: I've got the wheel oustside, putting the last clear coat on... I wanted to powdercoat it white (it was purple when I bought it) but that's just a little too much for my checking account to handle right now, and I'm impatient ...so it's rattle-can city.
I even thought about polishing the lips of the wheel, but I thought that'd look kinda silly on white wheels.

Thanks for the help, all ya'all. I'll let ya know how it works (and have pics) when I get the thing in place tonight or tomorrow.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Speaking of Huggers... If anyone has a Hugger lying around for a 91 1100 I would be interested in purchasing it. I cant locate one in the local junk yards and someone ripped mine off.

Thanks

CT

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All I can say, Bones, is your 1100 musta had a different style hugger on it than mine... there was *no way* that was gonna work with the D207 180-55-17 on that 5.5" wheel.
...luckily, I figured out a solution:

...the brake-arm was really close as well... I ended up putting a slight bend in it... how far can ya bend one of these things before it snaps or crumples?

ANYway, time it was all said and done, it ended up fitting in there... I really like the way the bike handles with the wider tire; I had a 170 squeezed onto the OEM 4.5" wheel and it was *really* twitchy and tended to fall-in on corners... it feels rock-solid now... and it *looks* good too!

I got a line on a carbon-fiber hugger that will fit, but it's gonna take some creativity to mount it because it's from a `91 ...and the guy wants too much money for it too, but whatchya gonna do? CF looks *cool*

·
Registered
108 Posts
I like Sylvester lookin back at whoever you pass

1 - 8 of 8 Posts