Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How wide of a wheel will fit the front and rear of a '87 750 with factory forks and swingarm. and what size tires.I'm looking at putting the bike on the track and need good 17" rubber(slicks).

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
I belive cbr f2 wheels would work, or I would put gsxr wheels on from the year that they went to 17, 88 I think, which is a 3in front and a 5in rear
120/170 series tires-should be able to get good race rubber in that size
-Karl

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
I've got a 5.5 from a 94 750 and a 3.5 from a 92 600 on my 86. I had to tweak the brake arm to give clearance for the 180 but there's no chain alignment problem. BIG improvement over the 18 wheels/tires.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies.bcklrcr, thanks for the E-mail, I have a 3" front off a Katana that should work fine but we have several salvage yards in my area that deal mostly sportbike stuff. And a local shop, Marietta motorsports is really helpful also.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I believe its 5.5 rear and 3.5 front. Be careful on the rear wheel if you go with too wide a profile it will rub on the chain.

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
sport rider had an article years ago about wheel swapping on the first generation gsxr's......i wish i hadn't thrown out my old magazines....

·
Registered
418 Posts
Hey man, do you want a copy of that Sport Rider article on wheel swaps, I think I still have it somewhere, could copy and fax to you...sorry no scanner...let me know, a good reason to dig thru the old mags!!

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
There's a guy with a site dedicated to wheel conversions...I'm at work, about to go home...I'll post the link from there for you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts