Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WHAT\'S WRONG WITH MY BIKE?

Hopefully somebody can help me. I have a 99' 600 and every time I put it in 1st or 2nd and begin to take off I hear a clunking sound somewhere in the lower part of the bike in the motor area. Once I get the bike to about 20 mph it goes away. Again, it only happens when I take off in 1st or 2nd gear. It's not realy loud but you can hear it while on the bike. The gears shift good. It doesn't feel like the clutch is slipping or anything

·
Registered
735 Posts
Re: WHAT\'S WRONG WITH MY BIKE?

Alright, first, have you ever changed the chain yet? If so, how long ago? It sounds to me like what my chain did when it was worn out. After I would reach 15-20 mph, it would go away, and it would only happen in 1st or 2nd gear. So right off I'd suggest to check the chain to see if it is worn out. How many miles on the chain?

·
Banned
6,048 Posts

a chainge of chains on a bike of that age (if yours is stock) is a good idea regardless. Dont forget to look into the sprockets as well.....

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts

I agree it is most likely from the chain.. a way you can tell is if you put a bunch of lube on it and see if the noise starts to go away

John

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I would just like to say thank you to everyone who replied to my post.

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts

Did it fix the problem?

John

1 - 6 of 6 Posts