Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What\'s with these crazy prices????

OK, been in the street bike game since before I even bought my first car in the early 80s. Slobbed all over the first '86-750 that hit the showrooms and have wanted an '86-LTD since I sat on one back then too. Anyway, I have a long time love for oil pumper gixxers, especially the 86-89 models. But what is going on with the used prices on these bikes? Rape definitely comes to mind!

I could have bought the '86 brand spankin' new for $3499 in '86 and the msrp on my '88 was $5299 and sold for much less. So here we are 15+ years later and people want high 2s for non original 750s??? I don't get it. Must be this whole retro thing because when I sold my '88 about 10 years ago, you were LUCKY to get $3g for one then.

Oh, and I love the guys that post about their ~rare~ '91/92s, they made about equal numbers of both color schemes and you see tons of adds about the black ones being rare or the hot pink ones being the rare ones. Please. To my knowledge there are only (3) truly rare models, the '86-LTD, '89-750rr, and '92-750sp [which I have only seen in pictures and never in person].

I'm a die hard oil pumper guy at heart, but if I wanted to drop $4g on a used bike, it surely wouldn't be on a bike that can be outrun by any 600cc bike made in the last 10 years....

I guess you those selling off an old bike, stupid high prices are nice, heck you've gotten to ride the bike for free for all these years!

·
3,476 Posts
Re: What\'s with these crazy prices????

It did take awhile for the rest of the world to realize they are worth it.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts

Y'know, it's funny. I was thinking along the same lines when I bought my `89 1100... except my reasoning went like: "why would someone spend $7999 on a brand-new peaky little 600cc bike when there are *awesome* machines around like this one for so much less money?" Oh, and another thing... my old 1100 is a "touring bike" as far as my insurance company is concerned... I'm sure not gonna tromp down there and explain that the thing makes 130hp, 84 ft-lbs of torque and will still *stomp* many of the newer (race-style) bikes. ...and the last thing... my bike? it's an `89 and needed tires and chain and sprockets when I got it, but I paid less than 3K for it. I may not be winning the local club races, but I figure I still made out pretty good in the smiles-per-dollar dept.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts

For all the fugging money and time I have in mine I could have a new bike. But then again it would be nearly as original.

-Karl

·
Registered
143 Posts

This is not so much an oiler related issue, but I just wanted to elaborate on the previous post regarding the way larger bikes are insured. I think it is great riding a (somewhat) older bike, for the insurance break. Up until this spring, I had a 1995 750 which was decent and all, but not really much of a thrasher. It was powerful, but not ridiculous, and it handled OK, but nowhere even close to the way a newer bike, even a 1K would handle. This spring I picked up a '96 1100 just because I basically got a bigger bike in better shape for even money on the 750 I was selling. So, after getting a slightly newer, and much gruntier machine, get this. I was blown away to see that my insurance actually went down about $100 a year. Woo-hoo. So I asked, and here is the deal. Statistically, bigger bikes get in less accidents because they tend to be owned by more experienced riders (although I tend to doubt that assertion based on the number of total punks I've been seeing out on 1K's, 929's and TLR's to name a few). So even though you get penalized for having a larger powerplant, that is far outweighed by the statistics being in your favor on reported claims.

So, from now on, it's literbikes for me! Can't wait to get some real money and get a new one. For now, I am more than happy with the 1100's lazy throttle and the extra weight actually makes riding the shit roads in my part of the country a little nicer.

Ride on...

(pics to come soon)

·
Registered
17,099 Posts

it depends on the insurance company....many charge higher premiums for larger displacement sportbikes. some don't care about the displacement at all.

i'm not sure i believe the 'larger displacement bikes tend to be purchased by older more experienced riders' bit.....that may be true for cruisers, standards, or touring rigs, but i'm not so convinced that holds true for sportbikes. anybody with a permit and enough money can buy a big bore sportbike, and inexperienced riders do it all the time.....there's really not that huge of a price differential between a 600 and a 1000, at least not when compared to the substantial jump in power.

even a 125 can get you seriously hurt or killed, but there's no denying that in many scenarios, a modern liter class sportbike can get an inexperienced rider into trouble much quicker....

as with anything, it pays to shop around for insurance.

[ 04-03-2002, 11:29 AM: Message edited by: jeff ]

·
Premium Member
137 Posts

Be thankful you're not in the market for a HD. At least if you spend the money you're getting good value for it. A 14 year old 1100 will still kick @## AND look good. Probably still hold all it's fluids too. It's about time the market realize value for quality and performance and not just looks and image. Lets just hope it doesn't get out of hand. Perhaps this will also help keep some of these machine just out of reach of new riders who only think they know how to ride. If it makes you happy...buy it.

·
Registered
257 Posts

A lot of it is driven by new bike prices. As they go up the older ones look like better deals even if they're not much below the original price. But also I think a lot of people just like the older bikes, I know I chose my bike (92 750) because that's the bike I wanted, not just what I could afford.

But you're sure right about the idiots out there talking about their "rare" bikes, just look at ebay some time it's bizarre what people pay about them.

Matt

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I just always be the unlucky one to be selling his stuff during the low times.

When I sold the '88, the liquids had just come out and no one seemed to want the oil pumpers.

When I sold my '97 SRAD, the '00 models had just come out and I took a beating on the '97.

Now I look at what '88s sell for and what '97s have climbed back up to and it just irks me! And don't even bring up the whole HD thing, talk about stupidity that I'll never understand...

You know, I can understand an all original '87-750 selling for low 2s, but when I look at these repainted [usually some gawd aweful color] ex-trackbike oil pumper that they want $2900 for, I just cringe.

·
Registered
978 Posts

I LOVE MY 87 1100 !!!i only paid 2200 and it was super clean and had 6200 miles but all the money i put in to it i.e.big bore and every thing else in the motor i could have got a busa,& gsxr 750 but i wouldn't ever think of selling it

new bikes

·
Banned
3,509 Posts

The "grins per mile vs $$$" for an older gixxer just can't be beat. Even if you spend another $4000 on suspension, motorwork, custom seat work, 17" wheels...

too bad I can't buy nice weather for riding

·
Registered
43 Posts

I just changed my insurance carier about a mounth ago and almost shit. My premium went from 628$ a year to 144$ a year on a 92 750 . As far as pricing goes i pated 4200 $ 3 years ago and thoyght i was getting a great deal . although I may have payed to much for my bike I wouldent traid it fo any thimg I love that over weight pig.

·
Registered
219 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#6A7FB8" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#2f2f4f">Originally posted by jeff:
it depends on the insurance company....many charge higher premiums for larger displacement sportbikes. some don't care about the displacement at all.

i'm not sure i believe the 'larger displacement bikes tend to be purchased by older more experienced riders' bit.....that may be true for cruisers, standards, or touring rigs, but i'm not so convinced that holds true for sportbikes. anybody with a permit and enough money can buy a big bore sportbike, and inexperienced riders do it all the time.....there's really not that huge of a price differential between a 600 and a 1000, at least not when compared to the substantial jump in power.

even a 125 can get you seriously hurt or killed, but there's no denying that in many scenarios, a modern liter class sportbike can get an inexperienced rider into trouble much quicker....

as with anything, it pays to shop around for insurance.
</td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>I lowsided a puch moped once and it hurt like hell.

·
YAAFM Mod
3,016 Posts

Pricing on our A/O GSXR's hovers at 2500-4500 and will stay around there due to the Drag Race guys. I picked up a 90 1100 from a friend (and hes the orginal owner) with a Ohlins shock, 39mm Kehins, and Stainless race only Yosh exaust that only has 7500 miles on the clock for 3000.00.
the deals are out there if you look. As for a 600 outrunning me alot of it has to do with the riders ability and not the bike. A couple of guys were suprized on thier new 1000's at not being able to just loose me in the twisties. Yes they had more top end and a better chassis but on the street my bikes are plenty fast enough.
Bones

H2O

·
Banned
11,514 Posts

check out the local ads http://www.buysell.com/results.asp?id=48 10&id=4815&id=4820&id=4840&qu=gsx&more=-1&less=-1&search=class&SUBMIT1=Display+Results&slide=n

and some guy is trying to sell an 87 1100 for $9500.00 !

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#6A7FB8" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#2f2f4f"> 87 SUZUKI GSXR 1100 LTD, completely blt for company promo, M/C was blt by one of the best dealership & mechanics avail, was sponsored by Suzuki, must see, 5000 kms, too much to list $9500 firm; may trade for hotrod. [email protected] Burnaby Tel: 604-299-1230 </td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
1,103 Posts

Mine cost me £3,000 4 years ago and I don't regret it one bit.
I got the old dog valued last year and it was £3,500 !!! gulp

I reckon over here it's still worth £2,500 4 years on and my insurance is only £260 fully covered.

Something to do with me being over 35, (just) and the bike being a classic !! if only they knew the truth of what it's really like !!

·
Registered
124 Posts

speaking of insurance on older bikes, I prefer the insurance beater 750 chassis with an 1100 motor in it. Had my bike that way since 92, had minor probs with doing the motor swap (oil lines, exhaust, clutch, etc) but at the time, not many people were doing that for street iron. Last time I dynoed it on a eddy current it put a couple of ponies under my bro's 99 R-1, and I was having jetting issues....

·
Registered
2,491 Posts

yeah, well my bikes got an unobtainium full exhaust and its very shiney

-Karl

·
Registered
294 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#6A7FB8" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#2f2f4f">Originally posted by Mr Gixxer:
check out the local ads http://www.buysell.com/results.asp?id=48 10&id=4815&id=4820&id=4840&qu=gsx&more=-1&less=-1&search=class&SUBMIT1=Display+Results&slide=n

and some guy is trying to sell an 87 1100 for $9500.00 !

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#6A7FB8" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#2f2f4f"> 87 SUZUKI GSXR 1100 LTD, completely blt for company promo, M/C was blt by one of the best dealership & mechanics avail, was sponsored by Suzuki, must see, 5000 kms, too much to list $9500 firm; may trade for hotrod. [email protected] Burnaby Tel: 604-299-1230 </td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>
</td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>Holy shit!!! Do they really get those prices for those bikes on that site??? Damn, when and if the time comes to sell my baby, I am posting there

1 - 20 of 49 Posts