Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What\'s up with my swingarm???

I just bought a '91 750 swingarm for my '92 1100. I got the '91 because it's supposed to bolt right in.

What's up with the mount for the dog bones on the arm? It's an inch narrower than my stocker.

Did I buy a '91 swingarm or not? Do I need to post a photo?

Mike

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Re: What\'s up with my swingarm???

that's the right one, i did this swap and the swingarm is made different. just use the spacer out of the 1100 and bolt it together, it works fine.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts

Sounds like you have an 89 750 swing arm what kind of adjusters does it have?
-Karl

·
Banned
11,514 Posts

yes the 750 used aluminum dogbones (instead of flat steel) that are wider where they mount to the linkage and the swinger

you can just use some washers or make up some spacers to even it out

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

So can I just rig it, or do I need the correct bones?

Why couldn't I just use the collar from my 1100 swinger as 1216 suggested?

It looks like it would use the same adjusters as the 1100.

Yosh. Maybe.

The fact that it was sold to me as a 91 swingarm kinda burns me.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I get a jpg, it loads, and then doesn't show up! What gives?

·
Registered
1,275 Posts

didn't see the picture, but if its got the same type chain adjusters its a 91 -92 arm. if they are different then its older. i have one on my bike so i know what i'm talking about.

it works perfectly with the 1100 spacer placed inside the stock type steel dog bones.

it will slightly lower your ride height because of the arm being shorter, i made some bones about 3mm shorter to bring it back to stock ride height.

·
YAAFM Mod
3,016 Posts

Yea just push the bearing insert out of yours. It is the same dia for the dog bone mount in the swing arm, and the dog bone, shock mount and fwd pivot mount in the link. They work well as spacers.
Bones

[ 02-07-2003, 03:18 PM: Message edited by: Bones_GSXR ]

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Excellent! Thanks guys.

Now I only have to shorten that brake arm. Also, the new swingarm is polished, I'll have to do something about that. Scotchbrite, beadblast???

I never thought of the fact that a shorter swingarm will lower ride height. That's not good.

Mike

·
Banned
11,514 Posts

Originally posted by Minnesota51:
Excellent! Thanks guys.

Now I only have to shorten that brake arm. Also, the new swingarm is polished, I'll have to do something about that. Scotchbrite, beadblast???

I never thought of the fact that a shorter swingarm will lower ride height. That's not good.

Mike
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">if you don't polish it, eventually it will turn dull on its own

·
Registered
3,895 Posts

Originally posted by Mr Gixxer:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by Minnesota51:
Excellent! Thanks guys.

Mike
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">if you don't polish it, eventually it will turn dull on its own</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">CERMACHROME!

·
Registered
25 Posts

Hey, you guys seem to know a lot about swing arms.... I'm tring to build a sleeper 93" Katana 600/GSXR 750 motor, what swing arm could bolt right in to my bike that would give me a bigger rear wheel, pref a 180, 190, or something other than the 160 I have now..... Any 411 would be of great help..... THANX for the info Karl!!!!!!!

·
YAAFM Mod
3,016 Posts

You could probably fit a 5.5 wheel from a 90-92 750 or 89-92 1100. That would match your front and takes a 180 no problem. A 190 on the rear is only for looks your bike will steer slower with that than the 180. The 5.5 is a common conversion to the 88-89 750 taht also came with a 4.5 rear like yours. it fits on ours no problem but you may have other problems due to differences in design. I have seen GSXR swingarms on Katanas and Bandits but do not know what it took to put it there.
Bones

·
Registered
622 Posts

You should be able to fit a 5.5 in your swing arm, I measured my 93' 600, 89' 750, 91' katana 600 arms and came up with a 5mm difference between all of them. Your probably going to have to make new spacers to get it centered. As for the pivot points, the kat 600 is 235mm and the 93' 600 is 227mm. You can probalby get away with making spacers to fit between the frame and the dust caps also you'll bave to bore out the pivot shaft hole in the frame to fit the GSXR's 20mm pivot shaft.
Remember......Nothing is cast in stone!!!!!!!
Hope this helps.

Cheers

·
Registered
25 Posts

fightin-ry said:

You should be able to fit a 5.5 in your swing arm, I measured my 93' 600, 89' 750, 91' katana 600 arms and came up with a 5mm difference between all of them. Your probably going to have to make new spacers to get it centered. As for the pivot points, the kat 600 is 235mm and the 93' 600 is 227mm. You can probalby get away with making spacers to fit between the frame and the dust caps also you'll bave to bore out the pivot shaft hole in the frame to fit the GSXR's 20mm pivot shaft.
Remember......Nothing is cast in stone!!!!!!!
Hope this helps.

Cheers
You to bro thanks for the 411, Now you think I could just fit the whole swingarm in that bitch, I would like the Aluminum one because I can polish it and it weighs less.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts