Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What\'s the truth about polishing wheels???

I have a 91 750 I'm ready to go to town on. I want to polish the stock wheels instead of putting PMs on it. I have polished everything but wheels before. I've been told not to take the rib off the spokes - it's "structural". I've been told take the rib off, it's just a casting. I want to make them as clean looking as possible so I would rather not look at letters and numbers or ribs! What's the truth?

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Re: What\'s the truth about polishing wheels???

leave well alone unless you want a big accident !

If you want a different look get different wheels.

p.s.
I had mine polished for 4 years and got sick of polishing them, it's a pain. I've just got the edges done now and life is better.

Andy

·
YAAFM Mod
3,016 Posts

It is okay to take off raised letter/numbers and casting flash, But the reinforcing rib must stay. If your 91 wheels are stock the reinforcing rib runs from rib to rib in the center of the outer section. A good rule of thumb is casting flash is usualy just a line you can catch your fingernail on and will not have a finished look to it, a rib is usualy 1/8 to 1/4 in thick and looks finished. This goes for welds on the frame as well, don't girnd them smooth! As I do polishing as a side line I can tell you that it is much easier on you to only do the outers. Keeping the spokes looking good is alot of work. I recomend using a high quality carnuba wax after polishing and if it gets wet dry right away, the water will react to the polished surface and dull it very rapidly.
Bones

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Thanks guys - the outers are done now - I just figured it's cheaper to polish the stock ones than it is to buy PMs!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts