Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was looking at the Yoshi and Arata rearsets. I dont understand how they can be much better than the stock ones...

·
Registered
217 Posts
they move your feet up and back so your toes dont it the ground. they also help your body position by pushing you foward. If you reach full lean and have never scraped your toes, then you dont really need them. I drag my toes every once in a while but its my fault because i didnt set my foot in the right position.

·
Banned
15,031 Posts
how do you drag your toe? if your dragging your toe your foot needs to be up more. your peg should drag b4 your toe. rear sets keep the bike from bottoming on the peg. that i have done. I don't drag toe - when i'm in what ever corner, get your feet where the balls of them are on the peg and your foot is way on the inside against the frame, and maybe put your heel on the heal guard.

but unless your quick in the corners - you won't notice anything from rear sets, maybe looks.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Rearsets are mainly for added ground clearance... A problem that gixxers really dont have (unless your pushing it on the track, or you push the bike under you, motocross style). Some people buy them for the looks, poser value. But unless your up on your pegs alot cornering, they might be uncomfortable with your legs folded up even more than stock. Some are adjustable, so you can find the most comfortable position.

I can drag toe on the street.. if I ride like a duck.
I always ride with the balls of my feet on the pegs, i find it more comfortable than resting my feet on the brake and/or gearshift lever. Plus, if the brake lever is adjusted too high and you ride with you foot on it, you might drag your brake all over the place.
Same thing for the gearshift, in 2nd gear, you could accidently shift into neutral. Thats no fun mid-corner.

Be carefull, if you adjust your foot controls too low (for comfort) they could be the first thing to drag on the ground. And backshifting the gearbox inadvertanly because you grounded it, or draggin the rear brake on the ground could cause you to loose it if your cranked over that far.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Improved shifting too (bearings), along with (often) better knurls (sp) on the peg for more solid footing/less chance of foot slipping off as you weight the pegs during cornering.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Improved shifting too (bearings), along with (often) better knurls (sp) on the peg for more solid footing/less chance of foot slipping off as you weight the pegs during cornering.
Main reason I got mine is because I lost about 25% of the feeling in my right foot a few years ago after a surgery, and the knurls and the more solid feel of the Vortex rearsets help me keep my foot in place. Crazy, I know, but it's true. Made a HUGE difference.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the replies.... I'll just keep mine stock

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
thanks for the replies.... I'll just keep mine stock
If your after looks, get them powdercoated black....look real nice with the frame.

Spectre I got mine powdercoated for looks....so that makes me a squid?

·
Registered
217 Posts
yea i hardly drag my toe only when im gooffing off and not puttin my feet where they should be. I have never draggged pegs on my new bike, but that was a diffferent stuory for the SRAD bike.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I had a 96 Srad 750, and without aftermarket reat sets, I could drag the piss out of them on the track.
I have yet to have that problem with my 05, but still breaking it in. The sets are moticeably higher though, so I don't see how it would be a problem. The Arata sets are "sweet titties" though. $$$ but sweet. They are super silky smooth.

·
Banned
15,031 Posts
oh u can get them down on the track. All i know is (since it was my first time at this track) i was pushing it and wanted to tighten her up when i felt a different feeling rather than my knee on the ground. plus it was vibrating in my foot. I look down for a second and realized CRAP. You avoid some of that by getting of more and holding a better line. But still this track is 50 yds wide, so your first time out your all over the place. still spooks ya though

1 - 12 of 12 Posts