Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im in The thought of swaping engine.
My bike is a GR7DA type and the swap engine is from a GR7DB type.
Does any one know the differens of the two. Will the GR7DB fit without any bigger issues?

·
Premium Member
3,842 Posts
is one FI and one carbed maybe?

they swap over easy enough, however you need everything off the FI if its not, sensors, tank n pump, ECU, harness, and cluster..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My bike has fi system so I don't have to deal with all of that. But the engine I was looking at was from a 1999 bike so it probably would been equiped with that also. Which leaves me little unsure of if that is the right answer. Not saying your'e wrong though because I don't know fore sure. Thanks 4 your input though.

·
Premium Member
3,842 Posts
98-99 are both FI? SRAD wise... yup, not sure about the number prolly just different years but could be an international thing? is one Canadian perhaps?

either way you are good to go on the swap if both are FI Srads, same same, plug n play

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My bike is bought in Sweden and the swap engine is from Germany I think.
U
I recond it could be a quite safe to buy then. Very greatful for your input, thanks a lot!!
Best regards - Mac -

·
Premium Member
3,842 Posts
yea be sure the donor motor has no HP restrictions altho that can be cured rather easily.. SRAD 750 FI is SRAD 750 FI, only thing is what is it Cambodia and few other countries have a HP restriction? could that be the number thing? dunno but engines are the same same...

·
Registered
322 Posts
Wouldn't power restrictions be in the ECU or carburetors? IIRC in France every bike is capped at 100hp or so, all done through the ECU.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My bike from 1998 is registerd at 34 kWh. About 45 bhp. Otherwise it would be impossible to get an insurance with a normal price tag.
When I bought it couple years ago it had about 130 + power commander adding almost 25-30. Airfilter and Akra titanium system. I think I should have at least 150 bhp. But when I'm writing this my cam tensioner has failed. That's the reason for my question in the first place. If I could swap engine instead of repairing and perhaps repair later.

·
Premium Member
3,842 Posts
well if you have a restricted motor already then you know exactly how it works you'll have no problems swapping over, just use your stuff, ECU, Throttle bodies so forth.. you'll be good to go, yup

cam tensioner is so easy to fix, did the timing jump or just stopped? making noise?

I dunno if these are non interference engines I believe so but not sure, if so then you wont get any internal damage even if the chain goes totally loose or breaks for that matter, might chew up some other stuff like a case but no piston valve damage so cam chain tensioner should be able to be replaced and go?

maybe you can enlighten us you prolly have it all scoped out.. could it be the new engine is cuz it did mess some stuff up?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ratteling noise is an understatement.
Engine swap was mainly to avoid breaking down an engine the first thing to do when season starts.
I've changed my mind though. Orderd a New tensioner instead. A manual I think it was. Many has told me it isn't a death sentence engine wise to have my problems. So I'm taking your advice and sorting it out. Save some money. Been riding the same bike and model since 96 when they released it in 600 srad. This one will be my no 6. Guess they become a little bit a favourite.
Thanks a bunch 4 all inputs and advice. First time ever I have turned to a forum 4 advice. Worked Great and I'll be back.
Best regards - Mac -

·
Premium Member
3,842 Posts
there ya go, yea if its just chain rattle tighten her back up and roll, these things are bullet proof unless you brain fart and fail to maintain liquids.. there are the crashes that do stuff and the occasional guy that stays on the rear wheel all day and never changes oil.. you seen em..

I like to use good oil the best and change it frequently, same for coolant, every 2 years I change coolant, its what lubes the water pump and keeps the internal water passageways clean so its worth it to me, specially if I ride in serious heat, that tends to break down everything, coolant, motor oil, fork oil, brake fluid, man its rough on liquids, but shockingly these SRAD's will tough 105-22 degree heat all day long, I know, I do it.. :)

it can get warm in death valley... oh boy..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts