Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
I Duplicate EVERY Thread!!
6,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shoulder popping question.

Edit: the other one was too long.

I basically started to lift really heavy and I maxxed out about a month ago. Ever since then my left arm would sort of pop during certain exercises like the hammer press. So I avoided it and just did other chest exercises. Well, now the other arm is popping.

I also decided since I was doing good with a lot heavier weight doing high reps and was going to hit the 225 for as many times as I could. I did quite a few and surprised myself but on the last rep I could feel soreness immediately. Like something was pulled or ripped. I ignored is, lifted the rest of the way out and left. Everything was fine.

It still hurt but virtually disappeared. But then 2 days ago, chest day came, I warmed up, then was doing the second phase of my warm-up and when I put on 225, I hit 5 and felt the pain coming back so I quit right there. The next day, feeling bad I missed a chest day I decided pushups would be ideal. I did them and I could feel the pain coming back but after a good amount, the pain dissipated. But once cold again, things as simple as getting out of a chair, I could feel it again.

Are there any tendon remedies or supplements that can help it out? And every dealt with the popping in the shoulders?

·
Registered
114 Posts
I can help..

What exercise were you doing when you hurt this area? Flat Bench? It sounds like you have what is known as a "acromioclavicular joint separation" or ac separation. This happened to me when I was bulking last time, and it took a decent while to heal. I never experienced the "popping" your complaining of, but you very well may have injured yours worse than I did.

Your first move needs to be to your doctor for an x-ray. Shoulder separations are rated on a scale from Type I to Type VI, six being the rarest and worst separation. They show up easy on a x-ray, especially when the doc has you hold a little barbell in your hand. Do you have a bump over the top part of your shoulder, or is there pain to that area when you massage or touch it?

Until you get to the doc, ice and rest are gonna be your best friends. As well as any pain meds you might have access to. Also, leave those weights alone until you see the doctor, they'll be there when you get back to full speed. I once managed to make a simple lower back pull takes months longer than necessary to heal simply because I was too concerned about pushing through the pain and putting on weight. Hope this helps bro.

·
6,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can help..

What exercise were you doing when you hurt this area? Flat Bench? It sounds like you have what is known as a "acromioclavicular joint separation" or ac separation. This happened to me when I was bulking last time, and it took a decent while to heal. I never experienced the "popping" your complaining of, but you very well may have injured yours worse than I did.

Your first move needs to be to your doctor for an x-ray. Shoulder separations are rated on a scale from Type I to Type VI, six being the rarest and worst separation. They show up easy on a x-ray, especially when the doc has you hold a little barbell in your hand. Do you have a bump over the top part of your shoulder, or is there pain to that area when you massage or touch it?

Until you get to the doc, ice and rest are gonna be your best friends. As well as any pain meds you might have access to. Also, leave those weights alone until you see the doctor, they'll be there when you get back to full speed. I once managed to make a simple lower back pull takes months longer than necessary to heal simply because I was too concerned about pushing through the pain and putting on weight. Hope this helps bro.

holy shit. YES, there is a bump. I noticed the bump on the left side but I noticed that from before.

Now that I feel, its on both sides.

The right side, ( the new poppin shoulder, is very small.

As for the pain, no pain dude at all. The only pain is in my crease of the shoulder and pec in the front. Not pressing or anything. Only flexing like in getting out of a chair and grabbin the handles and pushing up like dips but out of a chair.

If I punch my arm you can hear it pop on each arm. But if I hold my shoulders tight with my shoulder blades tight, no popping.

Its only if I punch with everything loose it'll pop.

At the time I felt eh arm pit tendon pain was when I was doing my 225 max out. After a ton of them on the last one with help of a spotter I felt it. I did incline, butterflys, then left. I come back 1.5 wks later and did 135 20x, then did 225 thinking of moving up and this is like normal warmup shit. I did 5 or so and I felt the pain come back sharp as ever...

I did the pushups last night. I did 350 or so... In the beginning, I felt it and went slow. After 200, my arm was nice and toasty and the pain disappeared man.

But after the shower, I sit and when I get up my muscles are cold bro. I get up and feel that shit.

Man, I need to be in good shape due to timing and plans. I cant give up.

If I weigh 269 now, down from 287, and keep doing pushups, how much will I maintain? I can do whatever. I can hit 400 pushups a night to keep it without putting pressure that is too great for the tendon.

What are your thoughts man?

Thanks bro...

·
Registered
114 Posts
So you were in pain but you are better now? Or is the pain starting to bother you now? It seems your irritating something in that shoulder area, whether it be tendon, ligament, muscle, or otherwise almost doesn't matter, just how your irritating it does.

With that said, trash your incline press for the moment. I'm not a huge fan of incline, and it was how I hurt my shoulder also. You can get the same chest workout by ditching bench all together for a while and substituting Barbell Presses for it. People with shoulder problems tend to find more comfort in DB Bench because they can change the rotation of their hands to open or close the joint. I'm pretty sure this will eliminate or drastically reduce the "popping" your getting with flat bench, as your joints are locked in place when your doing flat, incline, decline, etc. And if you insist on doing flat bench, make sure your doing a shoulder-width grip, as a wide grip is just begging for shoulder issues to manifest themselves. Barbell Presses will also give you the chest and tri workout you want and also help build your stabilization muscles, give it a try. If the pain persists, we can go from there.

As far as your injury goes, I think the way your training is causing something to become irritated also. You mentioned you've been doing very high reps on Bench for at least one set. If your just warming up, your better off sticking to something like 20 reps max. Or if you your really wanting to warm up those muscles, just use whatever weight you can lift with absolute perfect form and do so for about 15-20 reps. I see a lot of guys banging weight at the gym just to say they lifted something heavy, while only lowering the bar like halfway to their chests. Your main worry on every lift should be form over weight, you'll find yourself stronger and much more injury-free in the long run. It took me a long time to figure that one out the hard way :)

Now, on to your gains and weight. You said you weight is 269 at the moment, how tall are you? If you could estimate a body fat % that always helps too. Now what exactly are you trying to maintain? I know it isn't weight, because you said you were down in weight overall. Are you trying to stay slimmer? Or if your concerned about muscle while losing weight, I say don't be. When we have too much weight (fat, water,) on our bodies it tends to hide the muscle we do have. If you want your muscles to pop, cut your weight, I can help you with that too. Don't worry about losing too much muscle, you can always put it back on. Losing and gaining should ideally be done in cycles, the goal being either to pack on the mass or trim it up.

With that said, the ultimate factor in any workout program is the diet. If your diet isn't spot on you won't see the results your looking for. If you post up your eating regiment, I will help you turn it into a lean, muscle building eating plan. One that doesn't leave you eating celery, carrots, and eggs all day either.

And on our last side note, if you are trying at the moment to cut weight there are a million options for doing so, with some being dramatically more effective than others. PM me for more info on this one.

Hope this helps bro, let me know if you have more questions.

·
6,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, in bullets.

-The irritating I noticed may be due to a full backpack on the way to class. The way the pack sits on my shoulders and being engulfed in appx 40lbs of books on my back.

-Actually I was already fairly wide gripped. The prob. was going for what most NFL combine, NCAA, and NFL coaches go by for core strength. It’s the 225 and for how ever many times you can get it.

-I never was a total novice to the world of lifting. My normal warm-up is normally a lot lower than what other recommend. I actually warm up lower than I prob should but it’s a habit that I stick to it. I do a little over a dozen of 135, move to 225, and keep creeping up the ladder. The only thing I can think of is that even though I warmed up and eventually got up to appx 315, I figured I was warm enough. The thing I did want to do was warm up to the point of being so tired I would not be able to accurately gauge my true rep amount.

-Yes, I am appx 269 at 6’3. Body fat is not on point but can shed it off. I have been shedding it actually but need to work the cardio and explosive drills and I should be fine.

-As far as diet, it’s not too bad. I am on the move so much that it’s a little hard to bring things with me as I have no refrigeration on the road or on campus. If you have some diet examples/schedules that you could copy and paste I’d appreciate it.

Later man.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Right back at ya with the bullets..

-Definately try to ditch that pack for a couple of weeks. That shoulder needs rest, ice, heat, and whatever else you wanna use to dull the pain.

-How wide a grip are we talking? Never mind the football tactics, you will be better off using a grip that is a little less than shoulder width. With your height, you can go shoulder width exactly and be fine. Anything more is just putting too much stress on your joints and your shoulder.

-For a warm up you can go as low as you are, the trick is just to make sure your
muscles are starting to feel it by the 12th or so rep. You really don't want to push over 15 reps if you can help it. Your warm up set shouldn't be done until failure, just until you get the muscles going.

-Shedding BF is all about diet and cardio, and diet. Did I mention diet? I wrestled for 4 years in high school and trained in MMA for 3 1/2, stopping only due to a engagement and choosing to return to school. Anyways, I learned that people use a lot of "tricks and tips" to cut weight. Well, everyone is different and what little tricks may have worked for me, your body may not respond as well to. With that said, what everyone's body responds to is diet and cardio. It's all calories in vs. calories out, and if you find your balance you will see you can add or drop as you please.

-Diet is a little hard to lay out here, the easiest thing to do would be to tweak what you already consume. Anyhow, I'll start with the basics:

-Protein: Intake of this should consist of 1-1.5 grams per pound of body weight per day. I know it's a lot, but diets high in protein do more than just build muscle. You will be leaner, have more energy, burn more calories while resting, and stay full longer. Your sources should include: Tuna (White or Albacore, I like both just for a switch-up), Eggs (Whites Only!) or Egg Beaters, Cottage Cheese, Lean Meats (good cuts of Steak, low-fat ground beef, Lean Turkey Burgers, and Chicken Breasts), Nuts (Any will do, don't go overboard, Almonds are best, as is unsalted). These are your basic staples, and you being a large guy will require a larger amount of food.

-Fats: Get these from Nuts (same as above), Peanut Butter (natural is best, but use whatever your taste buds like!) and the occasional "cheater meal" never hurt anyone either

-Vitamins: Pop a multi-v once a day. Fruits and Veggies are good also, but that's an obvious. Green Veggies and whatever fruit you enjoy.

-Amino Acids: These are the building block of muscle, and are what protein consists of. A good Protein shake powder will have all of them you need. You want 2 protein powders, a Whey Protein, and a Cassein Protein powder. Whey is used immediately (post-workout, in the morning, etc.) when your body needs it. Cassein Protein stays active longer but also takes longer to absorb, best time to use it is before bed, or when you have to go awhile without eating. Protein shakes should be used 3x a day. One in morning, one after workout, and one before bed. With the after workout one throw some fruit or peanut butter, or whatever tastes good to you in there, as your body (muscles) likes a rapid influx of sugars after a workout, it'll help you grow.

-Meals: Try to split your meals up to 5-6 small meals per day. Start you breakfast big, if you have a hard time eating breakfast just eat something, doesn't even matter what is, as long as your eating it. If you don't eat breakfast your body will try to store all your calories and instead feed on muscle. For breakfast you could do, 6-7 egg whites, a piece of wheat toast with peanut butter, and a banana. Oatmeal is good too. Put honey and raisins on it if you need to spice it up.

-Carbs: Here's where a lot of people argue. You need carbs, plain and simple. If you want to slim down you just cut them back, but you will still need a decent amount if your working out regularly. Morning is best to indulge in them, and you should cut them off after 6-7pm. Eat a snack after that time, but no carbs. Sources should be complex, good carbs. Wheat breads(whole grain 100%), pasta (small amounts), and rice (brown is best) are a few good sources.

Well, there is a start to everything...I'm sure I left some things out, so please shoot some questions. Post your diet too, then I can tweak it to suit you. I'll take into account your busy schedule and lack of refrigeration too. BTW, just so you don't think I'm some internet health warrior. I'm 26, 5'8", weight 175 with 9% BF. I've been lifting since middle school and always enjoyed staying fit. Hope this helps bro.

·
6,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sweet.

let me get situated and i'll post up tomorrow with new questions. I have some ready for you.

For starters.

in your opinion, maxxing out, doing 225 rep max.

Your opinion on warming up fully and what stretches do you do prior, inbetween, and after your chest exercises....

That'll do for now....

·
Registered
114 Posts
For a warm-up for my chest I never(almost never) start out on bench, it's just too stressful on everything. Even if you find you can't do those last couple of reps because you've put bench as your second or even third exercise, I still say no big deal. I personally warm up with dips, 3 sets to failure. Then I may or may not go and do some tricep pushdowns, or even one or two nice easy sets of seated bench on the smith machine. This I find gets everything warmed up nice and gets me ready to start going hard.

As far as stretching goes, there is a fellow that goes by the name "In-Human" who created a series of stretches known as "DC stretches". If you search you'll find a lot guys swear by these. Here is a link:
http://img396.imageshack.us/slideshow/player.php?id=img396/4756/1163465404m2r.smil

After my workout I'm usually pretty spent, so I stretch later that evening or even the next day when I'm recovering. Most of it consists of the same DC stretches as I mentioned above, but if you don't have access to any dumbbells, I can give you other streches that are almost as good. Let me know.

·
6,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For a warm-up for my chest I never(almost never) start out on bench, it's just too stressful on everything. Even if you find you can't do those last couple of reps because you've put bench as your second or even third exercise, I still say no big deal. I personally warm up with dips, 3 sets to failure. Then I may or may not go and do some tricep pushdowns, or even one or two nice easy sets of seated bench on the smith machine. This I find gets everything warmed up nice and gets me ready to start going hard.

As far as stretching goes, there is a fellow that goes by the name "In-Human" who created a series of stretches known as "DC stretches". If you search you'll find a lot guys swear by these. Here is a link:
http://img396.imageshack.us/slideshow/player.php?id=img396/4756/1163465404m2r.smil

After my workout I'm usually pretty spent, so I stretch later that evening or even the next day when I'm recovering. Most of it consists of the same DC stretches as I mentioned above, but if you don't have access to any dumbbells, I can give you other streches that are almost as good. Let me know.

intersting slideshow. I have never used wieghts to stretch like the tricep. That's a good idea. I try to pull it with my hand on my elbow but doesn't do very well not to mention my hands not being able to touch eachother behind my back.

I have to try those.

well, let me tell you man. The shoulders still pop. I stopped putting so much weight in my backpack.

I also went to the gym and lifted like a bird dude.

I prety much dismised evryone around me and how much the kid on the side of me is showing he can do over me.

Well, I warmed up really good and did 135, 185, 195, then a few sets of 225. As of now I have no pain. Not sure if that helped the tenton corect itself or maybe due to the injury and not lifting made it worse bc everything weas shrinking.

2wks of nothing. Good beak though. Still want o take the break but have been a little sick from some food or something man for the past week or so.

I'll be back and going again. Hey, do you have any information on combine dude?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Sorry I didn't notice your reply for a few days...I've been gearing up for my wedding in August and work is kicking my butt.

Anyhow, it's good your giving those shoulders a little break. Screw the guy next to you in the gym, there's always someone who lifts more around there somewhere. You probably didn't shrink either...But I know how it can feel like you have when your not in there for awhile! I had pneumonia once and I was out of the gym for a month. I lost weight but went back in there with 95% of my strength still intact. Muscle's usually pretty good about remembering.

I noticed you said you couldn't touch your hands behind your back? Those stretches are exactly what you need. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say your injury or irritation in the shoulders maybe linked to the fact your not staying flexible enough. Especially since it seems like your pain tends to go away after you warm up slow and increase the blood flow to those areas. I would really start the stretching before, and immediately after your workouts. Also do them twice on non-workout days, it will help you recover faster and keep your gains better.

Good to hear the pain is subsiding. Some guys shoulders always "pop", if it stays pain-free and doesn't bother you, you know your doing something right. If it starts to bother you again, let me know when and what you were doing(weight, lift, rep, etc.). If it does happen, I'm gonna say it's either warm-up related or flat bench related. Did you ever give those DB presses a try?

You didn't mention your diet either. How goes it with that? If you want I can post up some of my old eating regiments for you to try. I have ones for both cutting and bulking.

And the last part in your last message I'm sorry but I didn't understand it? You asked if I had any "info on combine?" If you'd elaborate, I'll gladly type.

·
6,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry I didn't notice your reply for a few days...I've been gearing up for my wedding in August and work is kicking my butt.

Anyhow, it's good your giving those shoulders a little break. Screw the guy next to you in the gym, there's always someone who lifts more around there somewhere. You probably didn't shrink either...But I know how it can feel like you have when your not in there for awhile! I had pneumonia once and I was out of the gym for a month. I lost weight but went back in there with 95% of my strength still intact. Muscle's usually pretty good about remembering.

I noticed you said you couldn't touch your hands behind your back? Those stretches are exactly what you need. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say your injury or irritation in the shoulders maybe linked to the fact your not staying flexible enough. Especially since it seems like your pain tends to go away after you warm up slow and increase the blood flow to those areas. I would really start the stretching before, and immediately after your workouts. Also do them twice on non-workout days, it will help you recover faster and keep your gains better.

Good to hear the pain is subsiding. Some guys shoulders always "pop", if it stays pain-free and doesn't bother you, you know your doing something right. If it starts to bother you again, let me know when and what you were doing(weight, lift, rep, etc.). If it does happen, I'm gonna say it's either warm-up related or flat bench related. Did you ever give those DB presses a try?

You didn't mention your diet either. How goes it with that? If you want I can post up some of my old eating regiments for you to try. I have ones for both cutting and bulking.

And the last part in your last message I'm sorry but I didn't understand it? You asked if I had any "info on combine?" If you'd elaborate, I'll gladly type.

haha, do your thing man. Dont worry about my ass. By this time your prob married. Congrats if you are.

My arm is better. No pain, I also see strength going up slowly and warmup heavily before and its cool. I am back and repped 315 8x. Not good but one my way back to where I was.

I also had a big halt in my progress due to my gas and ass. Check my past posts, one being ass explosion or fart epidemic or soemthing.

I ate some bad food at subway and ate a 6in sub one day, or small amounts of food everyday due to my feeling sick afterwards.

I lost alot of muscle mass. So now I am eating like there is no tomorrow. I took off 2wks of no lifting and eating like a mouse. I could eat 2 breakfast jacks the whole day with a ramen noodles or something.

I am coming back though dude.

Anyhow, you ask about combine. Here, check the link. its hard, its real, and you have to max yourself out to be the best.

This is why I was doing the 225 max out...

·
Registered
114 Posts
Good to hear your back in the swing of things. Wedding isn't until August, but thanks for the congrats

So that combine is for the NFL? You'll have to pardon my moderate amount of ignorance on some sports. I enjoyed wrestling in high school, and MMA shortly thereafter before if really took off, but I never got into watching or keeping up with the majority of sports. I did however find those Terry Tate "office police" webisodes very amusing.

I didn't see a link on your message, just some pics. I googled it though, and found a blurb about it on the NFL's website. Seems like a serious competition. Did you or are you going to be competing in this? If so, congrats. So you switched up your training regiment for this you were saying? Are you still doing this or are you back to your old routine? If your looking for help on training for this, depending on what they are asking you to do I ould only recommend circuit training. This comprised the majority of my routine when I was wrestling as well as when I was doing MMA. Circuits focus a lot more on your explosive and usable strength over outright power though. IMHO, this is where most athletes need their strength anyhow, provided your not doing a lift comp.

Bad food sucks BTW. Nothing quite like dripping with sweat, not knowing which end to point at the toilet.

·
6,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good to hear your back in the swing of things. Wedding isn't until August, but thanks for the congrats

So that combine is for the NFL? You'll have to pardon my moderate amount of ignorance on some sports. I enjoyed wrestling in high school, and MMA shortly thereafter before if really took off, but I never got into watching or keeping up with the majority of sports. I did however find those Terry Tate "office police" webisodes very amusing.

I didn't see a link on your message, just some pics. I googled it though, and found a blurb about it on the NFL's website. Seems like a serious competition. Did you or are you going to be competing in this? If so, congrats. So you switched up your training regiment for this you were saying? Are you still doing this or are you back to your old routine? If your looking for help on training for this, depending on what they are asking you to do I ould only recommend circuit training. This comprised the majority of my routine when I was wrestling as well as when I was doing MMA. Circuits focus a lot more on your explosive and usable strength over outright power though. IMHO, this is where most athletes need their strength anyhow, provided your not doing a lift comp.

Bad food sucks BTW. Nothing quite like dripping with sweat, not knowing which end to point at the toilet.

dude, it can be alot harder than people think. They do things like take your vertical jump vertical, the obvious 40, the 10, your 225 max, your arm length, hand width, etc. It gets deep dude.

One harsh reality is you can lean up during this as you would in a cutting stage. This will cause you to become weaker and thus sacrfice where you actually need hard strength.

I can still feel my arm tendon. The popping. I noticed that its only when my shoulders are out. So I bench a little closer. The only thing I can attribute to it is that dam heavy ass back pack. Since I have reduced the load things have gotten better.

I used to do 5 set of 12-14 reps of 315 but I am getting back to about 6. I’ll get them. Just have to push and I hope to God that my arm gets better without me evn noticing it. That will be my down fall. And I was doing so well.

We’ll see. I looked up your circuit training and seems very useful. Do you have any specific links of your fav circuit training site that would have various types?

Hey what about drinking? Did you totally just stop and get rid of it during your hard training season? I may have to shut it out for maybe a few months maybe longer.

Thanks dude.

·
Registered
114 Posts
That combine seems like some very tough stuff. So are you competing in it or planning to? How much time do you have to train until competing?

If those shoulders are still popping when they are out I would really give them a break. I understand you need to do the flat bench for the comp, so here's what I would do. Take the day you normally do bench on...Say 3 times per week. Only do your flat bench 1 time per week, and the other 2 start doing the dumbbell presses I mentioned before. This is going to really let that shoulder rest, and take the strain off your workouts. When you do your flatbench barbell, go as hard as you want. Just do DB presses the rest of the week. Repeat.

As for circuits, get ready to drop some weight. With proper diet, the weight you drop should be mostly fat, but a small amount of muscle usually goes with it. Notice I said small amount of muscle, so don't worry. If your worried about not staying strong, take a look at Jason Statham in Men's Health from a few months back. He was using curcuits to lean up while maintaining most of his mass. Granted, we all didn't win the genetic lottery like I believe this guy did, but it shows how they work none the less. Here's the link to that. It's like 4 pages.

http://www.menshealth.com/cda/article.do?site=MensHealth&channel=fitness&category=fitness.tips&conitem=f35335cb1abd4110VgnVCM20000012281eac____

Now my personal recommendations for which circuits to use may not work for you. I think I have a link still to a site I sent a couple of my friends to that really helped them pick their own and go with it. I'll go find it and if you pick out something you like, post it up and I can help you tune it or give you some feedback on it. If you still want mine, I can go dig it out, just let me know. Give me a bit on the circuit link, I'll work on finding it and post it up as soon as I do.

Sounds like your working hard at this. I can really relate to the frustration of not being where you want, but that weight will always be there and you don't want to seriously injure something that may jeopardize your competing. Tell me how long you have to reach your goal, and we'll get you there.

Oh, and as for the beer. Nix it. When I was working my hardest all it did was hold me back. You'll be amazed at how much better you feel after being without it for a week or so. Recovery is easier and you just overall "feel" better. Trust me, I enjoy my beers as well, just not when I'm in serious training.

·
Dead dino destroyer
4,694 Posts
Gotta agree on the narrow grip not aggrivating shoulders. A couple years back, I was working on pecs with a wide grip and my shoulders were ripping apart. Laid off for awile and went to narrow grip when I did and today, I can go wide with no problems....but not real heavy, like 100 lbs max. Not as good as you guys, but I've broken/ torn some stuff in my shoulders over the years, so I'm not that greedy with it.

·
6,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That combine seems like some very tough stuff. So are you competing in it or planning to? How much time do you have to train until competing?

If those shoulders are still popping when they are out I would really give them a break. I understand you need to do the flat bench for the comp, so here's what I would do. Take the day you normally do bench on...Say 3 times per week. Only do your flat bench 1 time per week, and the other 2 start doing the dumbbell presses I mentioned before. This is going to really let that shoulder rest, and take the strain off your workouts. When you do your flatbench barbell, go as hard as you want. Just do DB presses the rest of the week. Repeat.

As for circuits, get ready to drop some weight. With proper diet, the weight you drop should be mostly fat, but a small amount of muscle usually goes with it. Notice I said small amount of muscle, so don't worry. If your worried about not staying strong, take a look at Jason Statham in Men's Health from a few months back. He was using curcuits to lean up while maintaining most of his mass. Granted, we all didn't win the genetic lottery like I believe this guy did, but it shows how they work none the less. Here's the link to that. It's like 4 pages.

http://www.menshealth.com/cda/article.do?site=MensHealth&channel=fitness&category=fitness.tips&conitem=f35335cb1abd4110VgnVCM20000012281eac____

Now my personal recommendations for which circuits to use may not work for you. I think I have a link still to a site I sent a couple of my friends to that really helped them pick their own and go with it. I'll go find it and if you pick out something you like, post it up and I can help you tune it or give you some feedback on it. If you still want mine, I can go dig it out, just let me know. Give me a bit on the circuit link, I'll work on finding it and post it up as soon as I do.

Sounds like your working hard at this. I can really relate to the frustration of not being where you want, but that weight will always be there and you don't want to seriously injure something that may jeopardize your competing. Tell me how long you have to reach your goal, and we'll get you there.

Oh, and as for the beer. Nix it. When I was working my hardest all it did was hold me back. You'll be amazed at how much better you feel after being without it for a week or so. Recovery is easier and you just overall "feel" better. Trust me, I enjoy my beers as well, just not when I'm in serious training.

Damn man. ONE WEEK TO GO. i have been selected and entered in to try out in the NFL Combine. Holy shit. They called me last week!

And now I dont feel as hot as i normally do. sadly. I have one week to fight back and come out ripping apart the competition.

My arm has no pain anymore. The problme is i am studying werid hours and has a few job interviews and paperword to do all last week. training sort of suffered and I am at the one week mark. I have been training doing high reps of 225 but I find that it has made me weaker. I must train today HEAVY. when I go heavy, the 225 feels like a light piece of shit. haha. Now, it feels like a ton of bricks.

I am going to see if i can get up to 350 today and try a few sets or at least feel it again. I def have to do at least 12 reps of 315. Then i can guage myself. I used to do 5 sets of 315 and move on to the other chset exercises. But since hurting my arm and getting sick from the subway food poisoning i have ruined my ability. that starving and no working out for 2wks really took me out.

with one week bro to go. What do you recommend?

I need food for the week, then night before the event, etc. I want to train hard on sprints this week, and train chest what, today ( sat), then mon, then wed and wait until saturday of next week?

I have been squatting, thats been doing good. I am hitting about 600 10X, my speed could use a little more improvement which i will do drills everyday, and sit ups everyday, along with calves.

Man this sucks. I have to adfmitt though, I am getting my strength back VERY quickly. I did 20+ pullups, etc. I went to do bench and only did 315 4x. I didn't drink water that day, nor ate very well. I didnt get any rest the night before either. So I stopped and am wainting til tonight to fight.

as for drinking, none. went dry as of a few days ago. It sucks but fuk it and everythign else. I wake up and run a few mikles every morning after brushing teeth, etc. Then come back to shower.

So what do you think man?

Food and drills, for this coming week, and then for the big day, Saturday of next week, the 17th.

I'll be checking this post everyday so no more lapses as you could help me out here....

thanks bro......

·
Registered
114 Posts
Okay...First things first..

One week is not enough time for you to change anything really dramatically. Where your going to see improvement is just in following a really stringent routine and focusing on basics and getting enough rest so your body can be in top form. Honestly, your diet, stress, and sleep habits are going to almost play a bigger part the week before than your training will. Here are a few things your going to need to keep in mind in order to go out there focused and ready.

-Rest: You must give yourself at least 8 hours, definitely if you hit it hard that day. Preferably on a schedule. The body likes a routine, especially when it comes to rest.

-Water: It's your friend. Get a gallon jug and consume one per day. This keeps off excess water weight, and will help with every other function of your body.

-Food: Meals need to be quality. Try for at least 5 a day, 6-7 if you can manage it. Take your carbs in early, balanced the rest of the day. Food should be the same as we discussed before. High protein, good carbs, lower fat. Cut off food 3 hours prior to bed. (Protein shake exempt from this)

No cheat meals this week! Reward yourself after with some beers and some pizza or whatever you please. The only difference in your meals is going to be the day before and the morning of the competition.

DAY PRIOR TO COMBINE:

You are only as strong tomorrow as what you eat today. So here, your carb consumption needs to change dramatically. The primary fuel sources your muscles use when you train heavy are creatine phosphate (which burns out after about 10-20 seconds) and muscle glycogen (which kicks in heavily after the creatine phosphate has run out, to fuel the remaining reps). So, to be strong set after set, your body requires plenty of carbohydrates, which are stored in muscle as glycogen.

You should shoot for 2-3 g of carbs per pound of bodyweight per day and as many as 4 g per pound the day before a big day. That’s 400-800 g of carbs for a 200-pound guy. Good sources include oatmeal, rice, potatoes, pasta and wholegrain bread. So eat and enjoy. Do not go overboard though...If it feels like too much it probably is. If you need meal ideas, PM me or just reply here, I'll try to keep checking this frequently this week.

MORNING OF COMBINE:

Here is where it's pretty subjective how you want to go. Everyone's body responds best to certain foods, so I'll go with guidelines followed by what I used to eat the morning of a fight or wrestling match.

Morning of you want a moderate amount of it all. A light protein shake made with water, not milk is a good start. The body will need more carbs today than anything so throw a half cup of oatmeal into your protein shake. Yes it tastes like shit, but it doesn't leave you with the bloated feeling a whole cup cooked will. After that it's really up to you. Just remember, CARBS! Now my "morning of" meals were this almost every time:

-Protein Shake: 12 oz H20, 1/2 cup oats, 2 scoops BCAA's, 2 . scoops glutamine, 1 scoop creatine.

-1 piece of whole wheat toast with one brown egg

-Peanut butter and apple slices

May not sound like a lot, but it never gave me the runs and kept me going as long as I needed. Your much larger, so increase quantity as you see fit. Just follow the basic guidelines and don't fill up.

WORKOUT DRILLS:

At this point it would be unwise to change up what you've already been doing. It could shock your body and leave you sore for the combine, or leave you open to injury. So keep doing what you are.

I would do a split workout however, cardio in the morning, rest, weights in afternoon or early evening, rest, repeat. The key here is going to be routine and consistency. This will keep your body healthy and ready to perform. Don't push anything too hard this week no matter how much you want to. Make stretches a part of your after workout routine. And by that I mean streching for like 15 minutes, not for 3 minutes like most guys.

WHEH!! Long post..Keep the questions coming if you got them, I may have missed something in all that.

·
6,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Okay...First things first..

One week is not enough time for you to change anything really dramatically. Where your going to see improvement is just in following a really stringent routine and focusing on basics and getting enough rest so your body can be in top form. Honestly, your diet, stress, and sleep habits are going to almost play a bigger part the week before than your training will. Here are a few things your going to need to keep in mind in order to go out there focused and ready.

-Rest: You must give yourself at least 8 hours, definitely if you hit it hard that day. Preferably on a schedule. The body likes a routine, especially when it comes to rest.

-Water: It's your friend. Get a gallon jug and consume one per day. This keeps off excess water weight, and will help with every other function of your body.

-Food: Meals need to be quality. Try for at least 5 a day, 6-7 if you can manage it. Take your carbs in early, balanced the rest of the day. Food should be the same as we discussed before. High protein, good carbs, lower fat. Cut off food 3 hours prior to bed. (Protein shake exempt from this)

No cheat meals this week! Reward yourself after with some beers and some pizza or whatever you please. The only difference in your meals is going to be the day before and the morning of the competition.

DAY PRIOR TO COMBINE:

You are only as strong tomorrow as what you eat today. So here, your carb consumption needs to change dramatically. The primary fuel sources your muscles use when you train heavy are creatine phosphate (which burns out after about 10-20 seconds) and muscle glycogen (which kicks in heavily after the creatine phosphate has run out, to fuel the remaining reps). So, to be strong set after set, your body requires plenty of carbohydrates, which are stored in muscle as glycogen.

You should shoot for 2-3 g of carbs per pound of bodyweight per day and as many as 4 g per pound the day before a big day. That’s 400-800 g of carbs for a 200-pound guy. Good sources include oatmeal, rice, potatoes, pasta and wholegrain bread. So eat and enjoy. Do not go overboard though...If it feels like too much it probably is. If you need meal ideas, PM me or just reply here, I'll try to keep checking this frequently this week.

MORNING OF COMBINE:

Here is where it's pretty subjective how you want to go. Everyone's body responds best to certain foods, so I'll go with guidelines followed by what I used to eat the morning of a fight or wrestling match.

Morning of you want a moderate amount of it all. A light protein shake made with water, not milk is a good start. The body will need more carbs today than anything so throw a half cup of oatmeal into your protein shake. Yes it tastes like shit, but it doesn't leave you with the bloated feeling a whole cup cooked will. After that it's really up to you. Just remember, CARBS! Now my "morning of" meals were this almost every time:

-Protein Shake: 12 oz H20, 1/2 cup oats, 2 scoops BCAA's, 2 . scoops glutamine, 1 scoop creatine.

-1 piece of whole wheat toast with one brown egg

-Peanut butter and apple slices

May not sound like a lot, but it never gave me the runs and kept me going as long as I needed. Your much larger, so increase quantity as you see fit. Just follow the basic guidelines and don't fill up.

WORKOUT DRILLS:

At this point it would be unwise to change up what you've already been doing. It could shock your body and leave you sore for the combine, or leave you open to injury. So keep doing what you are.

I would do a split workout however, cardio in the morning, rest, weights in afternoon or early evening, rest, repeat. The key here is going to be routine and consistency. This will keep your body healthy and ready to perform. Don't push anything too hard this week no matter how much you want to. Make stretches a part of your after workout routine. And by that I mean streching for like 15 minutes, not for 3 minutes like most guys.

WHEH!! Long post..Keep the questions coming if you got them, I may have missed something in all that.

sweet. I have a shit load of stuff do do right now but will come with more questions later. Right now I have to find out what type of turf so I can determine which pairs of shoes to buy, etc.

I'll keep you updated.....

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
whats up pitbullman.....this the same guy form years ago at stuntlife?figured id say whatup...been some time since i been on the bike forums

·
6,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
nice.

Ok so the plan for the meals is to eat chicken breast and pasta every day with vegies in the evening. Also low fat milk everyday. appx half gallon/day.

Then I went to the gym and on saturday and did pretty good. My strength is just about back now but not out of the woods yet.

As for the weeks i was thinking it may be better to train for the drills as running long distances will do nothing for quick explosive speed....

So i may do a short heavy day tuesday and leave it be until satudrday,Just do 20, 40, and other drills.

what do you think?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
About this Discussion
22 Replies
4 Participants
Above6k
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing