Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What\'s involved with putting new rings and pistons in?

My 96 750 has been a real hassle and I am preparing for the worst. It's compression is low all across the board. I think it needs new pistons and rings but I don't know. I am taking it to sportbike solutions out here in AZ and they are going to tell me what it needs. What does it take to add new pistons and rings? Is it just a matter of installing the parts? Or are some parts going to need recoating? Any advice from anyone who has done this on a SRAD?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Re: What\'s involved with putting new rings and pistons in?

Well theres a little more to it than just putting in the parts. The motor should be cleaned, make sure thier is no metal or dirt in it. then the cylinders should be checked for round ness and make sure they are with in specs. then the cylinders should be honned, so the rings can seat in. thenyou can put in your new pistons and rings. Also you should find out why the motor lost compression in the first place, to lean, lot of miles, over rev, oil not changed, wrecked and lost oil pressure, oil pump failure ect. Well hope that helps, if you have any other questions feel free to ask. jay

·
Registered
534 Posts
Re: What\'s involved with putting new rings and pistons in?

Well. If you are going to spring for pistons and rings you may as well recondition the whole engine while it is apart.
Inspect/replace bearings, replace all gaskets and seals, send the head out for a proper reconditioning, measure up the cylinders and either apply new cross hatch or send out for overbore(you would have to buy over sized pistons), and I would balance the engine as well by weighing each piston and removing material from the heaviest to make them all weigh the same. The crank should be measured up too.

If you just pull apart and replace pistons and rings chances are something else will give out - like valves.

A properly rebuilt engine can be better than a brand new one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts