Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Off the lot is high mileage. :lmao
Lmao

You always hear about long lasting Toyotas and Hondas (cars) . However the car with the most miles is a 1966 Volvo probably well past 3 million miles by now just with regular maintenance . Things probably been through a few parts but she's still going . There is also a Chevy pick up that hit 1 million miles some time ago . Also just with regular maintenance .

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
687 Posts
Get it.. Harley motors are super easy to rebuild when it needs it.. I'm no gear head n rebuilt a sportster engine with a diagram of the engine and basic tools

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
753 Posts
Good Lord, when will these mileage myths die….

18k mi is NOTHING on ANY modern bike (that includes Harley)! A Sporty motor will run 80-100k without a rebuild if it’s cared for, heck even if their beat on. The tranny’s are even more durable yet. A competent home mechanic can do a total rebuild (pistons, jugs, gaskets, bearings, the whole sha-bang) for less than $1000 easy.

If you like the bike and feel it’s a good price, buy it. Mileage means nothing on a well cared for bike. Contrary to popular belief, any Harley made in the last 25 years will provide more miles of service than any rational rider is ever likely to put on it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good Lord, when will these mileage myths die….

18k mi is NOTHING on ANY modern bike (that includes Harley)! A Sporty motor will run 80-100k without a rebuild if it’s cared for, heck even if their beat on. The tranny’s are even more durable yet. A competent home mechanic can do a total rebuild (pistons, jugs, gaskets, bearings, the whole sha-bang) for less than $1000 easy.

If you like the bike and feel it’s a good price, buy it. Mileage means nothing on a well cared for bike. Contrary to popular belief, any Harley made in the last 25 years will provide more miles of service than any rational rider is ever likely to put on it.
The bike has alot of addons, and the owner has receipts on everything. Judging by the look of the bike and taking it for like an hour test ride, it seems it has really been cared for. I just didnt wanna blow my money on something I'm gonna have to throw like 3 grand into for a rebuild. Thanks for the informative replys

·
Registered
753 Posts
If it's been cared for you have nothing to worry about.
Just be sure to keep back a few bucks for some "improvements". Sportys are awesome bikes but they do leave a lot to be desired in the suspension department. Count on $400 or so for some decent back shocks and some new valving in the front (look up Ricor Intiminators). Some well placed money can make the Sportster into a fantastic machine.

·
Premium Member
463 Posts
I have 78000 kms on my Harley heritage softail.... never rebuilt, runs great, no leaks....

I have a gsxr 750 k8 with 36000 kms rebuilt once already....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts