Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much will it cost me and is it worth it?

I know I'm a stupid newbie here.

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
for a daily driven bike it is not worth it. the chain will wear faster and as for price..chain, sprocket front and rear your looking approx 300.00 whats the advantage..its a tad lighter

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Originally posted by Pimpin My Gixxer:
for a daily driven bike it is not worth it. the chain will wear faster and as for price..chain, sprocket front and rear your looking approx 300.00 whats the advantage..its a tad lighter
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">300?? nah.. you can get the hole combo off kneedragger for about 140 with vortek sprokets, did erv II chain. I have it on mine...like pimp said , you dont really need the 520 for street riding..525 is good enough and you'll get alittlte more life..it does make a differnce though, nothing ground breaking , i only went up too in hte rear...I fell the revs alot more on the highway..my bike screams doin 85...
its a good semi cheap mod, go for it.

[ 08-03-2002, 07:32 PM: Message edited by: psycho750R ]

·
Registered
645 Posts
Well, the 520 doesn't necessarily wear that much faster really. It will, but not by much. As for pricing, it's easy. First of all most companies will make sprockets and chains for 530 to 525 to 520. For SRADs, they make all three. You just buy a Chain for 100 to 160, and rear from 30 to 45 bucks and the front for like 21 bucks.

so you add that up and you're under 200 bones.

Definitely go for the high grade chain for stretching purposes. Don't do aluminum sprockets if you want them to last longer on the street. Always lube the chain and keep it clean! This is a must. There is no noticeable difference either in going from 530 to 520. Some racers go for every ounce of weight savings and do this. No biggee though.

[ 08-05-2002, 10:41 AM: Message edited by: 96Gixx7Fitty ]

·
Banned
6,048 Posts
520 is one hour after the 420.......dig it???

seriously, the mass of the chain is a noticeable amount less.....and while you are at it change those sprocks. they should all three be done in unison , always.....

i have an aluminum vortex rear sprock, and dont expect more than 4,000 out of it....jus helps me keep fresh parts on her, i guess

http://ftmbiz.com/autolite/

has em , in all combonations

scott

·
Registered
645 Posts
Honestly, not to start an argument thread... yeah it is noticeably different by hand.. your motor can turn a 530 chain with ease enough. Unless you're a racer, you wont need to worry about whether or not you use a 520 or 530. It's no noticeable diff. on whether or not your bike's faster. I have experienced both, and noticed nothing. You can find parts for both sizes in abundance, so don't let anyone tell you that 520 or 530 parts are more accessible than the other. It's a preference game. The 520 barely lasts much less than a 530 also. Just thought I'd share my thought on that.

Now, if you want good power to weight savings... hook up with Marchesini wheels, or OZ wheels! You're also saving hub weight, and mileage. So don't get me wrong... the 520 is cool, and there's nothing wrong with that at all. I have one done too, and haven't switched back because I got the best components I could get, and feel like...why change back? Ok.. I'm saying too much here... I'll shut up. LOL Just do what you want to do... either way, you're not wrong, and you wont notice 3 or 10hp difference. Ok maybe 1hp! hehe

·
Registered
202 Posts
I beg to differ fellas

I did the 520 kit with the aluminum Vortex sprockets, as well as a +2 timing advancer at the same time and man, it made a hell of a difference in my bike. I went from not outrunning my roommates 01 gsxr600 to pulling him steadily and there was nothing he could do about it. I definently recommend it, especially for the money. It was maybe $140 or so. Get the gold chain however. If I were to do it again, I might not get aluminum sprockets just because everyone here says that they wear out very quickly. Not sure yet, as I've only put 1000 miles on mine since the conversion.
The timing advancer helps too, despite what you may hear. Might not want to go over 2 degrees though, I hear the 4 degree is not the best idea. Just my thoughts

·
Registered
351 Posts
I don't really know alot about chains and such but in my clymer it says 520 is stock for the 96-99.

·
Banned
16,404 Posts
no shit the clymer says 520 is stock...feckers..525 was stock on my 98..see why you should use a factory manual..

·
Registered
645 Posts
I know this sounds odd, but in actuality it was a luck of the draw sort of deal. Some came with 530 like mine, and some came with 520's or 525's. The new Gixxer 750's I've seen at my local Suzook dealer all come with 525's. It's no big deal what you go with, except that I recommend you at least use steel sprockets. It will last a whole lot longer, and with good lubing/cleaning schedules. A 520 chain is not what I'm arguing against. And not that I'm arguing against anything, but rather it's a good weight savings. 750's and above fair well with 530's for street riders. The power transfer is not affected by any real noticable means unless your bike is really low on horsepower. Maybe then. Again, racebikes use them because they are lighter, and they shave every ounce they can. Now, if you do get a 520 chain, make sure it's a high tensile grade. You'll probably spend no less than 150 to 160 bucks for a nice RK gold oring or DID X ring chain that will hold up longer as a 520.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts