Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Yeah, Bevan is correct. Of course, that doesn't mean that the guy sellin' the stuff on ebay didn't pull them off of a 750...

I'm hoping to score the rearsets and the rear shock that dude has listed.

FWIW I'm doing a wheel-swap for the front on my `89 1100 and as soon as that's finished (this weekend barring a big "oops") I'll be lookin to sell that along with the front brakes.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I'm hoping to score the rearsets and the rear shock that dude has listed.

FWIW I'm doing a wheel-swap for the front on my `89 1100 and as soon as that's finished (this weekend barring a big "oops") I'll be lookin to sell that along with the front brakes.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Fascat: What are you swapping onto your front end?
I seem to be about 2 steps behind you in mods and am very curious.

I'll be swapping my rear out this weekend as well.
Finally got my Fox shock for the rear to go w/ my 5.5 wheel.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Originally posted by bevan:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"> I'm hoping to score the rearsets and the rear shock that dude has listed.

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Fascat: What are you swapping onto your front end?
I seem to be about 2 steps behind you in mods and am very curious.

I'll be swapping my rear out this weekend as well.
Finally got my Fox shock for the rear to go w/ my 5.5 wheel.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Well, right after I posted that first reply, the UPS dood knocks at my door with my new brake stuff... here we are a few hours later and here's what I have:

I used the brake calipers, stainless lines, and master cylinder from a 2K gix600 ...it was a direct-swap except there are only two lines instead of the three w/splitter that I had before. The pads in the 600 calipers seem to be a little shorter than the originals, but that's no biggie because as soon as the machine shop gets done with my spacers I'll be putting the 2K front wheel and rotors on as well. (I hadda have spacers made for the 20mm axle in the 25mm bearings). ...ANYway, I just snapped pics for eBay and I'll list the brake calipers when I list the front wheel and rotors (prolly Saturday).

The brake swap was really a piece-of-cake, but I'd worry about pad to rotor engagement if I was gonna leave the new ones on the old rotors for any length of time. The toughest part of it all was finding a place to mount the new res...

...as you can see, that turned out to be a piece of cake too. I'm a happy camper! The calipers and master from the 2K are noticeably lighter, and with the stainless lines I can do stoppies with two fingers now.

I also have the 5.5" wheel in the back of mine ...that was a pretty easy update too. That and some other stuff about my bike is all at my website at http://home.attbi.com/~msbhavior

·
3,476 Posts
Hey Fastcat. If I bought your rim (it is a 3.5x17 right), what else would I need to put it on my 88/1100? Will my rotors and speedo drive fit? Thanks....

·
Registered
211 Posts
Very cool setup you did there!
My next swap will be braided lines, but later down the road...
Post some follow up pics once you get the 2k wheel on!

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Originally posted by Ragnar:
Hey Fastcat. If I bought your rim (it is a 3.5x17 right), what else would I need to put it on my 88/1100? Will my rotors and speedo drive fit? Thanks....
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yes, the front is white and 3.5" wide by 17" dia. (120x70x17 tire is not included, but rotors are) Well, I've never done a swap with the first gen, and I *know* someone else around here has... but from what I can tell from looking at bikebandit and robbynitroz wheel chart
The axle diameter for your `88 is 20mm which is the same as my `89 so the bearings will work just fine (my wheel has 45,000 miles on these bearings so you may wanna get new ones anyway). As for the speedo drive, I really don't think your old one will fit. The `88 part# is 54600-27a03 and the `89 part# is 54600-17c01. The good news though is that I have my speedo drive, cable, and speedo available if you want those too... I just put a sigma BC1200 on mine (the 2K wheel has no provision for speedo-drive at all). So... the short version is that it looks like it will work if you get spacers (mine are going with the wheel) and the speedo-drive (I can be talked out of mine) I have no idea if the `89 speedo drive will work properly on the `88 speedo, so I dunno what to tell ya there except that I can be persuaded to part with all of it. There *is* a nick in my front wheel from an errant manhole cover about 15,000 miles ago. It doesn't affect balance and it doesn't leak, I'll garuntee that. it *does* look ugly. The powdercoat on the wheel isn't perfect either, but I don't expect to get more than $150 + shipping from eBay for the whole thing including the rotors... it's all in usable shape - I just did four laps at Pacific Raceways this past sunday with the old stuff on it. e-me ([email protected]) if ya wanna make a deal - I have a digital cam and can take all the pics you want.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Originally posted by bevan:
Very cool setup you did there!
My next swap will be braided lines, but later down the road...
Post some follow up pics once you get the 2k wheel on!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I will, I will. There's supposed to be some sorta group-ride going on tomorrow, so it may be the weekend before I finish with my 2K wheel. Do yourself a favor with the braided lines thing... do *not* buy the goodridge stuff... I have a guy locally who can make the stuff cheaper and it's nicer than the goodridge lines I just paid $90 for. The goodridge stuff uses cadium-plated banjo-fittings that are swaged on. The guy at Williams' oil filter(local industrial supply) uses stainless fittings that are mechanically attached with aeroquip fittings. I got the local dood to make up a clutch line for me today and I'm stripping off the goodridge stuff tomorrow and having him make me replacements for that too. Just check around and find a place that does hydraulic lines for forklifts and stuff and have them make your stainless lines, they will look a lot better and prolly be less expensive as well.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Originally posted by Ragnar:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">the 88 is the best year for front wheel swaps.
it already has a 20mm axle. all you need is the wheel, but you might have to get your rotors bolt pattern redrilled. other than that, bolt on.
You could also get rotors from a newer bike(88-95 750 or 89-98 1100 are all the same).

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
OK, I promised an update, so here it is. First of all, it's complete... I now have a wheel, rotors, calipers, and master-cyl from a 2001 600 gix on my `89 1100. It was *not* as easy as I thought it was going to be. I *knew* that the axle sizes were different, so I had spacers made up and all ready to go when I realized that the shoulder on the `89 axle was gonna be too long to center the wheel. A trip to the machine-shop later and I got that all sorted out... I have sketches/dimensions, so anyone doing a similar swap, ask and I'll be happy to give ya the nitty-gritty. So, I got all that done, it's clear sailing from here, right? Wrong...

I kinda half-assed measured the rotors when I got the wheel, and I *thought* I came up with 310mm on the rotor diameter... it's more like 315 truth be known. What this meant was that I hadda either fab up brackets to mount the calipers with (machine shop is closed by now and I wanna ride tomorrow) or figure something else out. Here's what I did (don't flame me, it's my bike, I'll file any parts I want to, so there, nyah)

I haven't decided what the permanent-fix will be for this, but for tomorrow it's gonna ride (a short jaunt tonight showed no problems). As you can see below, I have *just enough* clearance on the rotor-to caliper:

I *may* sketch out some radial-mounts and incorporate those into the spacers that I hadda use to get the 25mm bearings to work on the 20mm axle... I haven't quite figured that out yet... I'll have something cooking come Monday morning.

So, there it is. A stoppie in the parking lot, a shower, and a ride to the oceanfront and back home and no problems (it works great BTW). I'm gonna go list all my stuff on eBay as soon as I'm done posting this. If anyone has any bright ideas (other than buying 2001 600 gix forks) I'd be ahppy to hear it... otherwise, stay tuned for pics of my radial-mount spacers next week.

[ 10-19-2002, 12:49 AM: Message edited by: FastCat ]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts