Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had this bike for a while, it's an 86 but with bodywork from 88.

In the last couple of years I have overhauled the bike (cleaned carbs, adjusted valve clearance, new head gasket, helicoiled cam taps, new tires, new oil and filters, new brake pads and brake and clutch fluids, fixed poor gas flow from the reserve line, fixed passenger foot pegs, etc.) The bike is tight and does not leak any oil now, the engine runs and sounds amazing and it handles very well for being so old.

Now to the body work:
I don't like the 88' seat cause it's a bit small and low considering the frames are different and the rear cowl is cracked because they don't fit properly as well. I think the front looks good but
I recently hit loose gravel on the road which caused the front wheel to give so the bike tipped over and cracked the lower fairing on the right side :crying: Picture 2 is the current shape of the bike.

What would you do to it?
1) Just replace the broken panel
2) restore to original 86 fairings or 86 limited edition fairings
3) Other suggestions???

Advanced:
4) Would it be worth it to go with SRAD forks, bigger rear wheel/tire, different swing arm etc?

Please give any suggestions

Attachments

·
Uses squid tentacles as a butt-plug
262 Posts
Nice bike man. Personally I like all original. I would restore to original 86 fairings or LE.

·
Lifetime Premium
53 Posts
I've always felt that what makes these bikes special is their place in motorcycling history. The 1st generation GSX-R will always be cool, especially an unmolested example. No matter how dated, heavy, slow, and less agile they are compared to heavily modified or newer machines. When it comes to a 1st generation GSX-R, original trumps modified every time in my opinion. That's not to say we haven't seen creative and skilled enthusiasts here build some amazing machines, but those are usually from the bones of basket cases. I'd go as original as I could with a bike that has the potential of yours, save for period correct suspension or braking modifications.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Depends on what you goal is. Restoration or a 1st gen sleeper.
Regardless keep all the original parts as an OEM 1 st gen is only going to get harder to find and go up in value.

Ive started modding my bike but kept all the original parts, if I ever dare to part with it I will strip the aftermarket shit off and refit the original parts.

Cant wait to refit the 1st gen airbox - not

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Yes the fact that it has an 85 exhaust has been pointed out to me before, I like the looks of the cheese grater and the sound at full blast is really something else! Everyone thinks it's an old dog when they hear it and its rough sound at idle, but then when you rev out the gears they are surprised.

Regarding body work, where can i find parts? It seems difficult to find a matching set to cover the whole bike in the same color. Should i search for body kits and paint myself or What is the best way to go here?

I really like the look of the limited edition tail and seat, but would like the possibility of taking a passenger. Does anyone know if there is something similar for that?

P.S. to make it clear, I don't have the original fairings, I bought the bike like this, someone changed it long time ago.

·
Likes to race old junk.
1,608 Posts
If you get your Red R, you could post in the classifieds...and probably find what you're looking for.
E-bay is another option, lots of oiler parts for sale there.
It will likely take a long time to piece together a nice matching set, so you're probably looking at new paint and decals once you gather up all of the missing bits.
A seat cowl would give you the solo seat look, and the ability to carry a passenger once you take it off.
Air Tech makes all of the parts in fiberglass, if you want to go that route.
GSXR 750 86-87 GSXR750 fairing, fairings, tail, seat, front fender, rear hugger, upper, lower, bellypan, fuel tank, undertail, slabside, rearsets, yoshimura, dragbike

·
Premium Member
570 Posts
I like the original look. Please don't squid it out with a swing arm and big rear tire. Keep the forks that you have, they are fine and what improvement would you really get.
It looks like you need a new rear fairing section so if you could get a solo seat version that would be awesome.

·
Premium Member
4,423 Posts
i'm assuming you do not live in the USA, because of the 85 exhaust and because you have not filled in any info about your location.

i like the original "style" first gen fairings on first gens. i'd keep it mostly stock, but if you want better handling, you might want to change to a complete 88-89 or 90-95 750 front end with 17 inch wheels. will make a gigantic improvement in handling...and is kind of period correct.

otherwise, airtech in southern california has good and reasonably priced fiberglass fairings for the first gens. check them out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
10 Participants
86gixxxer
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing