Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I replaced the stock springs with Race Tech .95's this winter. For some reason, I thought I'd put in heavier oil while I was in there. I put in 12.5 (a mix of 10 and 15wt.) to a level of 120mm I believe.

Should I go back to 5wt? The forks seem a little harsh now, and skip over bumps on some roads. Haven't tried it on the track yet...but will next Thursday at Road America.

Any advice?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,847 Posts
could be a variety of things.

stiffer springs might work well at the track, but not so well on the street. That's pretty much the compromise you deal with. When I'm on the highways, I just deal with the fact that my suspension isn't as compliant at low loads as it could be. But on the track, it's tits.

As far as oil level goes - 120's probably in the ballpark, but when you get on the track, use a zip tie or o-ring to see how far you're getting down on those forks in really hard, rough braking situations, and adjust accordingly.

I wouldn't go over 10wt oil, I don't see where there's anything to be gained by doing so - but I doubt your 'mix' would make a very big difference over stock (which is 10wt). It might have made some diff, but not nearly as much as your spring change. Try backing out the compression a bit, or better yet, next time you service your forks, go back to 10wt.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice! I have a zip tie on one fork leg, and on the street it gets to about 5/8" from the axle mount. The streets are rough around here, though...so I'm more worried about the damping action at the track. I also want to shim the rear shock this weekend, so I'm sure that will throw everything else off!

I thought the stock fork oil was 5wt...thanks for settin' me straight!

·
Registered
557 Posts
I'm getting RT springs and gold valve put in today at the shop. RT Digital valving thing said to use 5wt and oil level to 90mm.
This is for a 02-1000.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts