Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im lookin at gettin a torque wrench for the piece of mind aspect when working on my bike.

how much did you pay? from where?
what brand?
whats the TQ range?

id like a 0-100ft lbs but all i can find is 20-100 and that if overtorquin the drain plug and oil filter:cheers

·
Both Handsome AND Pretty!
19,104 Posts
My main is a Snap-on 3/8 goes from 2 1/2 to 80 ft lbs. Cost around $190.00 or so.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i use the one i was born with on everything but engine internal parts or tranny parts.
same here, but i think its a nice think to have for piece of mind at least.

i have a 0-100 inch pounder but that is only like 8ftlbs max i tihnk its 1/4

·
Premium Member
73,384 Posts
i have a few. some are new, some have been passed down. the most important thing about a torque wrench is to keep it calibrated, and when it is being stored, always store it set to the lowest torque setting.

i have a craftsman 3/8" drive 10#-100# which is broken, and they will not warranty it because their "lifetime" warranty doesn't cover torque wrenches.

i have a husky 3/8" drive 20#-100# that works very well for stuff like brake caliper bolts, sprockets, frame sliders, engine mounts, rearsets, etc...

i have a husky 3/8" drive 10#-100# that i use for the oil drain plug, axle pinch bolts, triple clamp bolts, etc...

i have a 1/4" drive 20"#-200"# (forget the brand, think it is craftsman) that i use for oil pan bolts, engine case bolts, and the rest of the small stuff.

·
Premium Member
8,797 Posts
i use the one i was born with on everything but engine internal parts or tranny parts.
+1 but sometimes im forced by ISO to use torque wrenches on certain parts, there i use snap on, at home, i use craftsman

·
Registered
502 Posts
If you had to buy one torque wrench to do it all what wound you guys get?
If you only want to buy one torque wrench then i would say get an electronic one. Snap-on makes a 3/8 techwrench that is rated at 5-100 ft lbs, which will do almost everything on a bike, besides the axle nuts probably. It can also switch to inch lbs and newton meters at the press of a button. It's nice, but be prepared to pay a decent amount for one, probably over $300 if i remember correctly.

·
Not the powers that be, not even close.
23,130 Posts
snapon 1/2" 50-200ftlbs
matco 3/8" 5-75ftlbs
matco 1/4" reads in inch pounds

calibrated yearly :cheers

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I use a Snap-on clicker style 1/2 and 3/8 drive, 1/4 drive is a Snap-on Torqometer (has dial gauge on it). The worst part of all that is that right there is almost $1000 worth of tools. :banghead I am a mechanic so I buy the best cuz I use em' everyday but if I were buying them for home/hobby use I would have no problems with a craftsman or other store brand (husky, rigid, etc.) I think they are fine for occasional use. :cheers

·
Registered
502 Posts
I am a mechanic so I buy the best cuz I use em' everyday but if I were buying them for home/hobby use I would have no problems with a craftsman or other store brand (husky, rigid, etc.) I think they are fine for occasional use. :cheers
I agree with this completely. If you are a just a backyard mechanic, Snap-on, Matco, Mac, etc.. is generally overkill for just about everything (unless u need a special tool). craftsman and husky are actually really great tools, and more than enough for the weekend warrior.

·
Registered
872 Posts
id like a 0-100ft lbs but all i can find is 20-100 and that if overtorquin the drain plug and oil filter:cheers
I wouldn't recommend using just one torque wrench for all the jobs on your bike. You don't want to be using a torque wrench near the extremes of its range.

I have two for carrying out various jobs on my bike. One 3/8 drive 10-100 for mainly tightening the axle nut to its 72 ftlbs.

Then another 4.4-22 ftlbs 1/4 drive for more delicate jobs like fitting spark plugs.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I have a big one that clicks for the wheels, and another that only bends for the smaller stuff.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts