Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone knows what tire sizes they are currently running on MotoGP bikes. If you do also include how you found out because I've been searching the web and MotoGP tire info is almost impossible to find.

·
Chubby Chaser
57,844 Posts
For the most part all teams now run the 16.5 inch front and rears, occassionaly Honda runs the RC211v with 17s up front and 16.5 in the rear, Suzuki used to run a similar setup on their GSV-R's but has since stopped I think, then again maybe all of the teams incorporate this mixed sizing for different tracks, I'm not sure.

The leading edge tire development is all being done for that rim size (it then trickles down from there to the 17 inchers). As for what size is traditionally used as far as width and aspect ratio, I think that is relative to the riders preference.

From doing a quick search though, this seems to be the preferred tire sizing that most of the MotoGP teams run:

Front - 120/62-16.5”
Rear - 190/67-16.5”

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes I agree they are all running 16.5" rim sizes. They have been experimenting with that for years now but I think it's finally a GP standard. It allows for the tire to stand 1" taller with the same centre line circumference.

As for what I was really after was the width/sidewall ratio. For front and rear. I'm surprised they are only using 190's. As for sidewall ratios, those are some pretty odd numbers.

SPL - where did you find those tire sizes?

·
Premium Member
4,454 Posts
NJRacer is right on the profile's (205)...Ducati, and Yamaha have run 16" rears at certain times (according to Mamola in RRX).

·
Chubby Chaser
57,844 Posts
Barn said:
Yes I agree they are all running 16.5" rim sizes. They have been experimenting with that for years now but I think it's finally a GP standard. It allows for the tire to stand 1" taller with the same centre line circumference.

As for what I was really after was the width/sidewall ratio. For front and rear. I'm surprised they are only using 190's. As for sidewall ratios, those are some pretty odd numbers.

SPL - where did you find those tire sizes?

i found them on "The Google"

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
i held one of rossi's rear tires in 2004 and it was a 195 16.5 (not sure of aspect ratio), as told to me by one of the team technicians. But that can change from track to track and with temperature variation.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
ballistic04_750 said:
Wonder if smaller tread widths will be used next yr in light of the transition down to 800cc machines?
Great question. My guess is that the smaller bike still will put out enough HP to spin up whatever size tire they throw on there, so they'll probably stick with 190-205mm

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.