Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what pressure you guys have your tires at. Does having a lower pressure wear your tires more? I found my tires felt better at around 32 as opposed to the factory recommendation of 36 but I'm just worried about wear. My rear tire's getting a little squared off so I was wondering if this would be a factor. the tire is pretty worn though. its down to the tread bars on the outsides and getting there on the middle.

ps, I'm running D207s

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
34-36psi for the road, commuting and weekend riding. Yes, it'll prolong the life of the tire.

32-34 for the track.

Do a search in the General Forum, there's a post on tire press. in the last week....

KaTz

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Well I run supercorsas in a soft rubber on the street and run them at 30f/31r on the canyons, 36/36 on the hwy.

On the track I run supercorsas super soft front and soft rear... I run them at 29f/30r

John

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
I saw some tires yesterday that had '42 psi' stamped into their sides!

Regardless of a particular tire's recommendation, do you guys still run typically in the mid-30 psi range?

PS- hey resonant, were you @ U of T's downtown campus earlier this week? I saw a '98 Gix 750 and thought...maybe it's resonant?

[ 09-19-2002, 07:50 AM: Message edited by: Brolo ]

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
the number on the side of the tire is normaly the MAX psi at full load... If you have a full load on the tires then you are not on a supersport bike..

John

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Also remember that you should be checking your tire when cold... then when hot... Rule of thumb is that the difference should be about 10%... So if you start at 30psi cold it should be 33PSI hot...

John

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
why would you run different pressures front to rear. I know why you do in a car but I'm kinda new to bikes, would this serve the same purpose? Like in a car, if I wanted to add some oversteer, I would run lower pressure on the rear. How does this work on a bike?

Brolo: that wasn't me at U of T, I've been pretty much working (downtown) till 10 every night lately

·
Registered
645 Posts
yeah, to reinforce opinion here...hehe It's good all around between 33 to 35 psi when cold. It's good compensation for when they're heated up and this way don't get too hard. You want the tires to give in just enough to grip as intended. One other slight difference could be if you're a fat bastard, and need a few extra pounds in them tires! LOL Just kidding. Stick with 33 to 35psi. You can't be wrong then really.

[ 09-20-2002, 03:29 AM: Message edited by: 96Gixx7Fitty ]

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
well the reason I run more air in the rear is that my ride style, I get on the gas HARD out of turns and it tends to over heat tires if I dont put a bit extra air in them...

The main reason for changing PSI on the bikes is to get the tire to warm all the way up without over heating.

John

1 - 12 of 12 Posts