Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today I ordered a power commander V for my new to me 2001 gsxr 750 well long story short mid year suzuki changed plugs so seller wanted me to check what plug i had..

Well I came across this.

Now question can I just cut the plastic clip and solder both ends together?? I’m assuming it got burnt because the dip shit that owned before me had them wires basically touching the motor..

And like title says what is that wire because knock on wood bike runs fine..
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Hand-Eye Coordinator
6,528 Posts
That's the connector between regulator and stator.

Do a site search for your manual and go through the charging system testing procedures. You need to test the R/R, Generator, and battery, even though you say the bike runs fine. If you are good at solder, there no reason you can't just connect new pins and replace the connector. That's assuming none of your parts are forked.

·
Registered
182 Posts
That connector is used for reg/rec and stator. It melts due to the heat/friction from movement of the terminals within the connector. Therefore heat builds and the result is what you got.

When the same thing happened to me on my L3, 1k, the dealer explained to me the above and remedied the situation by installing new connector/terminal pins and THEN THEY SOLDERED THE WIRES ONTO THE TERMINAL PINS. This resulted in no more movement and build up of heat. My L3, 1k had 130,000klms on the clock and the melted connectors only happened once each on both reg/rec and stator connectors because of the soldered pins this fixed it.

NOW, With my new L6,1k I soldered the terminals immediately before I took the bike out, because it is a weakness.

Here is a supplier I use for all my connectors etc in the U.S.

250 Housing Lance Armlock - ET type Connector with Tangless Terminals

If your new to crimping and soldering terminals etc, just youtube it and there is heaps of examples of how to do it.

Pete

1 - 4 of 4 Posts