Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I just picked up a 07 Gsxr 750 and as I was washing it I noticed something which seemed kind of out place. It a switch of some sort, maybe like a pressure switch? I assumed it was some sort of DIY theft-prevention device. The little nipple at the top can be pulled up (presumably activating whatever it is?
Anyway, if anyone knows what this is and cares to chime in, would be helpful.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Looks like stock brake switch...Upsidedown?
If your rear brake, lites work then you have a pressure switch.
If not, it's not connected, installed wrong, and missing a spring?

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,561 Posts
Your pic isn't good enough for me to tell for sure but many aftermarket rearsets don't have a provision for a mechanical rear master brake switch and a pressure actuated switch is used instead. Maybe that's what you have. One school of thought is that it isn't as safe since a mechanical switch will turn the brake light on when the lever is moved instead of waiting for pressure to build up. A mechanical switch may also be more reliable.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It does have aftermarket rear sets which was maybe going to be next post. lol, I feel like a fetus on this bike but have been comfortable on other gsxr's in the past. I'm attaching a pic of the bike.

·
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...
13,375 Posts
It does have aftermarket rear sets which was maybe going to be next post. lol, I feel like a fetus on this bike but have been comfortable on other gsxr's in the past. I'm attaching a pic of the bike.
So the tail light is on, and when you step on the rear brake, the brake light comes on? I'm not seeing how that could be true. The banjo bolt is visible and I don't see any wires coming from it.

·
Registered
145 Posts
My 07 600 does not have that switch for the rear brake. But then again it’s got an aftermarket rear set as well. I know when I step on rear brake it does not light up the brake lights, but my front brake switch does when I squeeze them. I searched all over on mine as I know from past bikes I always had a switch of some sort for the brakes when the rear brakes were applied as well as one for the front brakes as well. I was beginning to think that the bike wasn’t supposed to have one for the rear as this is the my first GSX-R. I’ve always had either Kawasaki, Yamaha or Honda’s.
I guess on my 3 day weekend I’ll be tearing into her to see if there is a plug or something missing besides the switch itself.

Dannypage, thank you for posting this!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had my housemate check and he said they were, but then I checked again and they aren't, youre right. Should I try and connect to the front brake switch wiring harness or is that also pressure activated?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My 07 600 does not have that switch for the rear brake. But then again it’s got an aftermarket rear set as well. I know when I step on rear brake it does not light up the brake lights, but my front brake switch does when I squeeze them. I searched all over on mine as I know from past bikes I always had a switch of some sort for the brakes when the rear brakes were applied as well as one for the front brakes as well. I was beginning to think that the bike wasn’t supposed to have one for the rear as this is the my first GSX-R. I’ve always had either Kawasaki, Yamaha or Honda’s.
I guess on my 3 day weekend I’ll be tearing into her to see if there is a plug or something missing besides the switch itself.

Dannypage, thank you for posting this!
Ya, seems like something you definitely would want working. I haven't ridden street in a duration so I don't even remember how front brake heavy I am, but I imagine I would always want that rear brake to activate the brake light. My bike is disassembled presently for a tune-up and I would love to figure something out to make this operable again. I was thinking about splicing into the front brake wiring harness, but I assume that is pressure activated as well. Maybe some others will chime in with advice. I have a welder and was thinking I could possible fab a bracket, but I think the rear-sets are aluminum on mine, but I'll check later. This is all new to me. My last bike was GSX-R 1000 and I can't wait to get back on the horse.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Ya, seems like something you definitely would want working. I haven't ridden street in a duration so I don't even remember how front brake heavy I am, but I imagine I would always want that rear brake to activate the brake light. My bike is disassembled presently for a tune-up and I would love to figure something out to make this operable again. I was thinking about splicing into the front brake wiring harness, but I assume that is pressure activated as well. Maybe some others will chime in with advice. I have a welder and was thinking I could possible fab a bracket, but I think the rear-sets are aluminum on mine, but I'll check later. This is all new to me. My last bike was GSX-R 1000 and I can't wait to get back on the horse.
Yea I hear ya. I'm just glad that at least with the front brake the brake light still lights up. I even have wired in 2 RED LED strips that are stuck to my undertail into the signal wire at the main harness for added visibility (especially at night) for when the brakes are applied. I did find the switch before leaving for work tucked up under and ziptied to the suspension coil. Checking out Vortex racing now and see that they have a special set to connect the switch up with their rearsets. Going to see about purchasing it and getting installed ASAP!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yea I hear ya. I'm just glad that at least with the front brake the brake light still lights up. I even have wired in 2 RED LED strips that are stuck to my undertail into the signal wire at the main harness for added visibility (especially at night) for when the brakes are applied. I did find the switch before leaving for work tucked up under and ziptied to the suspension coil. Checking out Vortex racing now and see that they have a special set to connect the switch up with their rearsets. Going to see about purchasing it and getting installed ASAP!
Let me know what you come up with. I'll probably do the same as you.

·
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...
13,375 Posts
I had my housemate check and he said they were, but then I checked again and they aren't, youre right. Should I try and connect to the front brake switch wiring harness or is that also pressure activated?
No. Most of the aftermarket stuff doesn't have mount for the factory brake swtich. While it's true that the front and rear brake switches are tied together in the harness, you don't want to try and patch them somewhere else. That switch probably is still plugged into the harness. What you need is something like this: https://www.sportbiketrackgear.com/woodcraft-brake-pressure-switch/

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
6 Participants
dannypage
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing