Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to know if the are 8mm or 7mm for the 89 750.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
I know on the 92 there realy is no such thing as plugwires so to speak. they are part of the coil with special boots on the plug side to keep water and dirt from getting down near the plug. $90 each the last time I priced them.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Originally posted by Pod99966:
I know on the 92 there realy is no such thing as plugwires so to speak. they are part of the coil with special boots on the plug side to keep water and dirt from getting down near the plug. $90 each the last time I priced them.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Pod99966,

Did you sell you oil-ccoled GSXR??? You had one available here recently, yes????

Just curious..

JDB1371

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
if i had to guess, i'd say 7mm......don't quote me on that, though....

pod, suzuki didn't start using integrated coils until the late 90's.....those plug wires on your '92 are still real plug wires (i.e. they carry high voltage from the secondary windings of the coils to the spark plugs). if you don't believe this, pull a plug wire out from the spark plug boot, press the exposed end to your tongue, and start your bike.

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
Originally posted by jeff:
if i had to guess, i'd say 7mm......don't quote me on that, though....

pod, suzuki didn't start using integrated coils until the late 90's.....those plug wires on your '92 are still real plug wires (i.e. they carry high voltage from the secondary windings of the coils to the spark plugs). if you don't believe this, pull a plug wire out from the spark plug boot, press the exposed end to your tongue, and start your bike.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">
Jeff is sounding a little...mmm..."testy?"

The plug wires I used with the Dyna coils were Dyna's DW800 which are 8mm wires. I saw that Mr Gixxer used (they were free to him) the DW600 which are 7mm wires. They are both graphite core wires. Dyna makes a copper core 7mm wire but those will "interfere" with radios & other electronics. (static)

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
the dynas are pretty flexible when it comes to plug wire sizes.....i think the max size you can run with the stock coils, though, are 6 or 7mm....

as for interference, you may or may not be able to run non-suppression wires without throwing off noticeable interference.....it depends on the type of spark plug cap and spark plugs your bike is running. i.e., if your bike is running a resistor spark plug, or it's got suppression in the plug caps (easy enough to check - just run an ohmmeter across the plug cap....if you get a couple of thousand ohms of resistance, it's suppressed), you can probably get away with non-suppressed wires and still not throw out much interference.

i've run completely unsuppressed ignitions before and haven't found them to interfere with the stock ecu.....if you don't care about the radio reception in the car next to you, and don't have any other electronic accessories on your bike that might not appreciate the interference, the point is moot.....

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I saw thoes wires on ebay and I didn't want to bid unless I new for sure they would work. I thought 8mm was wrong, but I try not to think too much anymore, it costs me too much money.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Originally posted by Pod99966:
$90 each the last time I priced them.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Are you saying to replace the spark plug wires it is going to cost me $340? or $90 for the set?

I just yanked two of the wires loose from the boots while trying to get mine started tonight... I think I am in trouble....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts