Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased used '01 GSX-R600 thru Ebay, and the bike will arrive some time next week. It's my first street bike, unfortunetly I found out about this site after i made my purchase. I would've got SV650 instead if I knew earlier. I only have a little experience with dirt bike about 10 yrs ago and I sled on the country side road when I was making turn). I will attend California Super BIke School next month. The reason I'm posting this is I need to know what kind of wrong actions do most new riders make(especially with race-replica type) so I can prepare and avoid if I could.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Re: What R the common types of wrong actions the new riders

1. Not understanding motorcycle physics as related to braking and steering inputs and when they find themselves in a situation, doing the exact opposite of what they need to do. For instance being unaware countersteering and using not using the front brake. Please Google up countersteering or do a site search here.

2. Target fixation. Your bike follows your eyes, so look at your desired route, not the obstacle you're trying to avoid.

3. Too much speed. Any doofus can twist the throttle and go straight. Many riders ride over their heads and lack the skill to stop and steer the bike at the velocity they've attained.

4. Hamfisted control inputs. Too much throttle, too much brake, grabbing a big handful of either in mid corner.

5. Panicing and doing nothing. New riders find themselves in situation where they must stop quickly or corner hard and lack the skills and confidence to make quick decisive control inputs and so they often hesitate or freeze at the controls, and do little to avoid the mishap.

6. Succumbing to peer pressure to ride fast or do silly stuff.

·
Registered
16,168 Posts

Along with the excellent advice above....Rider get to complacient, be observant while riding at ALL times..as cagers tend not to see bikes to well...

Riders need to stay Relaxed at all times, your reactions are slowed down by being Tense. Also the bike will behave better with out a bunch of input from the rider.

The learning process and street savy, takes a long time, and many 1000's of mile to learn, keep your Eyes open.

Keep your bike in excllent workin order...i.e. keeping the chain clean, and lubed, don't let the tires go bald before changing them out.

Buy the best quality Full face helmet, leather jacket, gloves, and boots that you can afford..Do Not Skimp on these items...they could save your life.

And I'll repeat one thing Dangeruss said...don't give in to Peer pressure, don't let anyone talk you into, or pessuring you into doing anything that you don't feel skilled, or comfy doing ..sportbike riders have a bad enough rap already....ride like a responsible person would, and above all...Ride Safe..

·
Registered
961 Posts

When riding on a public road you need to be thinking non stop all the time.
See it like a game of chess. Always think what if....? Always have a plan and an escape path. The skill of riding well is to concentrate all the time while being relaxed at the same time.
Switch your vision to wide screen mode and don't fixate on things. Learn to read the road.
Riding is a very complex skill to learn, that's why we don't want to see newbies on expert bikes. A GSX-R is a killer bike for the inexperienced. Don't become a statistic.

·
Premium Member
2,555 Posts

In the title to this thread, you typed:

What R the common types of wrong actions the new riders do?

You spelled out every word in that sentence except "are". I imagine this was a play on words in terms of GSXR?

Just seemed funny to me...a bit off topic, but eh.

-J

·
Registered
4,880 Posts

agree with above so i'm going to welcome you to GDC club

·
Registered
8,423 Posts

Welcome and remember that the bike has a side stand that HAS to be down to support the bike. (I've seen so many drop because they thought that it was down)

·
Registered
1,334 Posts

welcome to the site. I feel your pain. I made the exact same mistake that you did. Big differnece is I bought a brand new 05 600 with 8 miles on it. I bought it because the research I did was talking with people and the only advice I got was get a 600 cc bike or smaller. So I did what most retards do. I went to the dealership and bought the bike that looked the best to me. I actually almost bought an sv 650. I found it was rather comfortable but didn't like the lack of fairings. I wish I had known that they sold fairings for that bike. I'd be much better off right now. My advice to you is check this site out everyday and just read, read, and then read some more of what these guys have to say. They want you to stay alive as much as you want to. Also, take the MSF course, it's rather helpful. Also, check out the link in my sig. Lots of good articles that will help you. Remember, knowledge is power.

·
Registered
71 Posts

I found it was rather comfortable but didn't like the lack of fairings. I wish I had known that they sold fairings for that bike.
Also, take the MSF course, it's rather helpful.
Remember, knowledge is power.
This was very informative. I have a question also: What are fairings? and to the starter of the topic, the MRC (Motorcycle Rider Course) is a great course from what I hear. I'm due to take it in July. I say listen to these riders, they know some STUFF.

·
Registered
4,361 Posts

I found it was rather comfortable but didn't like the lack of fairings. I wish I had known that they sold fairings for that bike.
Also, take the MSF course, it's rather helpful.
Remember, knowledge is power.
This was very informative. I have a question also: What are fairings? and to the starter of the topic, the MRC (Motorcycle Rider Course) is a great course from what I hear. I'm due to take it in July. I say listen to these riders, they know some STUFF.
Fairings are the plastic bodywork on the bike. Taking the MSF course is a good idea. I didn't take it when I started riding (not sure if it was even around back then) and I just had to learn by trial and error (heavy on the error). The 600's that y'all are getting are putting out around 100HP, back in the early 1980's when I started racing that ia what the factory superbikes were putting out. Be careful and respect the bike.

·
Registered
135 Posts

Take the MSF course it will help you out a lot. Super bike school that is sweet you should also learn alot there too. For the time being take it easy on the bike. Ride within your limits, dont give it to much throttle in first, only use two fingers for the front break dont wrap you whole hand around the leaver. Also, try and stay away from using the back brake. DO NOT ride peoples asses leave atleast 2 seconds between you and the person in front of you. Make sure you always leave yourself an out when things do go bad. Wear your Helmet, Gloves and jacket.

Congradulations on your new bike. Ride safe

·
Registered
1,334 Posts

Also, try and stay away from using the back brake.

why? if you don't use your back break you lose 30% of your braking.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts

I think he means sometimes new people slam that back brake and lock it up in an emergency.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I started with a brand new k4 gixxer 600, it was my 22nd birthday gift, I was kind of scared when i actually got to ride it, but the biggest task for a newbie is getting over that fear and knowing your limits. If you fall of a sv650 it's going to hurt just as much as falling a gixxer. I think gixxer get to much blame for human error's. It's not the bike's fault

1 - 15 of 15 Posts