Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done some reading on the forums, but would to hear what everyone uses personally. Going to do an oil change tomorrow. Lots of people are talking about Rotella T4 and T6, what does everyone think about that stuff?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey hey now.. Lol. I did mention my research, I just wanted to get a count of who uses what and weigh my options. Savages... Lol.

·
Ex-Lady Supermod
16,100 Posts
True but we also have a whole forum just for "oil and lubrication" but as said, ask 10 people and you will get 10 answers. As long as what you use fits the guide lines in your owners manual, you are good. Most important thing is to change your oil at regular intervals.

·
Hand-Eye Coordinator
6,529 Posts
What does your manual say? I bet that it says JASO MA certified oil. Look for the classification on the back, not the brand and fancy letters on the front. Ask ten people and get ten answers? Of course you will, but only the manual knows best.

·
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...
13,418 Posts
I use Rotella T4 15W40 (used to be T3) in both my L3 1000 and K5 600. I read a really good article that said the requirements and demands on engine/gear oil between sport bikes and diesel powered heavy equipment were very similar. I've been using Rotella ever since.

The k9 manual states "Use of SF/SG or SH/SJ in APO with MA in JASO." Rotella T4 15w-40 is JASO MA, MA2, DH-2. Rotella T6 is JASO DH-2.

The big thing is to watch out for "friction modifiers" or "energy conserving". Those additives have a nasty way of building up in the wet clutch.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Did a search on oil on this forum and hoped to get some answers but it looks like not too much useful information here.

Used to run just the standard Mobil 1 5W-50 about 20 years ago and a GSX750F with no problems but things have moved on, in particular with the clutch.

One of the best options I can find in this country appears to be the Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40. Its a full synthetic and sure its not cheap but the bike will not do many miles and its an insurance policy if you thrash it.

Anyone else using this ?

Anyone else using another synthetic that they have been running for years in their bike ?

Have used the Motul products before in two strokes and they are excellent. The Motul 5100 looks like an option but the Motul 300V is really expensive.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I don't think you can go wrong with any boutique oil. Local shop sells Maxima for almost half the cost of Motul. I don't use either but i understand treating your baby to top quality.
Nothing wrong with the Mobil.

·
Premium Member
2,082 Posts
One of the best options I can find in this country appears to be the Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40. Its a full synthetic and sure its not cheap but the bike will not do many miles and its an insurance policy if you thrash it.
This is what I use. No issues.

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,703 Posts
^Ditto. Pep Boys has had it on sale for a while now. A lot cheaper than elsewhere. They also have the M1MC-133 filter on sale, the only one that I'd use beyond the Suzuki filter. But it's hard to find on their web site.

I don't use it but I see Rotella T4 15W40 at Home Depot(!) for a very good price.

·
Registered
326 Posts
It is expensive, maybe even overpriced, but it is good oil.

A real synthetic oil being Ester based, a group V, not something that can be said about other oils which are marketed as being 'full synthetic'.

Being a real group V they require less friction modifiers, great for engines which share oil with a clutch. There are other oils which are great that are not a real group V, or even IV, they use a lot of friction modifiers, this isn't great for a wet clutch.

Is there double the price worth of difference between motul 7100 and 300v, probably not, but I'd definitely prefer 300v if I can be stuffed changing the oil regularly enough.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts