Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering what octane you guys run your bikes at. Owners manual says 87 is fine. What do you use?

·
Registered
886 Posts
i have tried both... 87 and 93...

but since i rag the shit out of my bikes i might as well have the best gas...

·
Registered
8,423 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
i always use the highest octane available, becuase of the compression ratios we run, there is a lot less chance of combustion

·
Registered
11 Posts
I try to find chevron techron 94 oct. But i cant always be near one when i need it, but
I get better gas milage and it seems to have better throttle response.

later

·
Registered
360 Posts
93 octane here... There's a pump for 100 octane near my house, but there's no point in running that high right now

·
Registered
246 Posts
I use the highest available and if i can i try to make it to a chevron.

·
Registered
127 Posts
yes, i meant detonation. good catch

·
Registered
654 Posts
If there is no detonation, there is no reason to switch to anything higher than 87. You are just wasting your money. Higher octane fuels are actually LESS flammable than the lower octane- they won't ignite as easily due to heat or pressure, and wait properly for the spark in higher compression engines. So if your engine isn't igniting fuel prematurely (detonation), then you are wasting money to use higher octane than the manual recommends. I used to use 93 octane. You know what the biggest suprise to me was... when I switched to 87 I actually get 135-140 miles to a tank, before the fuel light comes on. That's better by at least 10-15 miles over the 93 octane.

·
Registered
398 Posts
This is true... The reason lower octane fuels tend to detonate more readily is because it burns slighty faster (I think, ill ask my dad for the full story.. he used to work for shell and teaches thermodynamics) basically. If you use very high octane, it can cause carbon buildup.. but 93 shouldant be a problem. I use 89 at the very least just because these things do rev to 15,5...

·
Registered
48 Posts
87...suzuki knows more than any of us about what to put in the bikes. Never had a problem with 87 and there's been a few days 100+ degree days. premium can't hurt of course for an extra 60 cents a tankful.

·
PM me for Brotection
57,513 Posts
89 because its so damn hot here in FL, so i want the small extra margine of detonation insurance.
My thoughts exactly. For about 30 cents per tank difference, I'll shoot for a happy medium. I don't bother with high test anymore.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Jesus Fucking Christ
Not another damn octane post. This fucking issue seems to pop up every other month on every fucking forum on the internet!

In very high performance or very high compression ratio engines (flash point decreases under pressure) the spark plug and/or valves get so hot that they ignite the lower octane fuels prematurely as the piston is still rising (detonation), shocking the componets of the piston/rod assembly, causing stress cracks in high point loading areas (such as wrist pins) that can eventually lead to failure. High octane fuels have additives that raise the flash point of the fuel to prevent detonation. An unfortunate side effect is that these additives negatively affect fuel performance by slowing down the ignition wave front and robbing a small amount of power.

So, you get the most power out of the lowest octane fuel that doesn't cause detonation (that rattling noise when the engine is under load, also known as "knocking")

Now we can put this issue to bed and re-hash other equally over-hashed subjects like cleaning chains and what suspension settings everybody is using, and of course , help out the squid who can't start his bike because the kill switch is in the off postion.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts