Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought id already put this question in before but now cant find it, so here goes again. Ive got a C reg 1985 Gixxer that was imported from America to England at some stage. Frame no is GR71F-103850 and Engine no is R705-110554. I would really like to know what model the bike is and what is the right manual for it. If any clever person knows thanks very much.

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
The manuals you seek are...

from Cylmer part number M383 "Suzuki GSX-R 750-1100/'86-87 & Katana 600 '88-93" the ISBN is 0-89287-590-9

or from Suzuki part number 99500-37033-03E "Suzuki GSX-R 750 Service Manual"

As you're in the UK the interpretation of the VIN may be different, but if you think it cam from the US it might confirm that belief. Here, and maybe other countries too, the VIL has some info in it.

My VIN for instance, and I'll but a # where a digit should go because I can be paranoid at times, is found imprinted on the head column and on a finished plate a couple of centimeters away on the right side of the bike.

My VIN is...JS1GR75A-0G#######

I don't know of any identification system that is used for the motors.

My motor # is R705-126950

There appears to be no relationship or similarities beween the two numbers.

Back to the country ID I spoke of earlier.

1. Country J: Japan
2. Make S: Suzuki
3. Vehicle Type 1: Motorcycle
4. Safety equipment G:
5. Line R:
6. Price Class 7:
7. Body 5:
8. Engine
9. Check Digits 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,X (Check digit is a single number or letter used to verify VIN accuracy

10. Model Year G:1986 F:1986 H:1987 etc...

11. Production Plant ?

12. Serial Number 000001 to 999999

Other bikes I've owned have had their VIN's begin with...

JH (Honda)
JK (Kawasaki)

The finsished plate on the right side of the bike should also have a date of manufacture stamped into it...mine is 3/86

Hope it clears up your questions.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks very much for your info. Shame it doesnt actually seem to tell me anything about my bikes VIN nomber, but interesting anyway. Im no closer to knowing what model it is but at least have a better idea about the manuals. Thanks.

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Daxzien:
Thanks very much for your info. Shame it doesnt actually seem to tell me anything about my bikes VIN nomber, but interesting anyway. Im no closer to knowing what model it is but at least have a better idea about the manuals. Thanks.
<hr></blockquote>

From what you originally posted, the VIN is GR71F-103850... There is a pattern there, you just need the reference to translate it.

Your motor actually gives a better idea of it's age. Your number of R705-110554 is of the same production series as mine. My motor, installed in the chassis on or around 03/86 is R705-126950 was 16,396 positions behind yours.

Your gixxer is a 1985. I would guess the 3,850th one to be produced.

Maybe you could PM Jeff and he could enlighten you furthur than I am able.

·
Registered
893 Posts
If your bike was imported from the U.S., it must have originally come out of Canada. 1986 was the first year available in the U.S.
Sorry I can't help with your i.d.#'s, but like he said you might want to try Jeff for that info
Good luck

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
is that the complete number, stamped on the right side of the steering neck on the frame? vin's are supposed to be a lot longer than that....

if the bike still has the vin plate (not the stamping on the frame, but rather a separate black metallic sticker that has the date of manufacture, vin, and other misc info on it), it would have the exact model number on it....for example, something like gsx-r750f ('85 canadian), 750g ('86), etc.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the comments. That is all of the vin no. on the headstock. There is no separate plate with any nomber on the frame unfortunately.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts