Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put some new battlax 160's on my gsxr and I was wondering if maybe I made a wrong choice. I still need to put a front tire on and I'm not sure wich types seem to be the best. Also if anyone knows and good places to get tires from, let me know.

Thanks.

·
YAAFM Mod
3,016 Posts
I have 207zr's on my 88 7-11 and on my 90 1100 and have been very happy with them.
Bones

G

·
0 Posts
my vote was based on my limited experience

when i bought my bike it had a 207 on the front and BT56RR on the rear....and so now my pirelli dragon evo's front and back kick ass...

i plan to try em all out.....then you can post up another poll and i'll tell you which on i like best

·
Registered
463 Posts
I like the Michelins (Pilot Sport) best. The harder you ride the stickier they get. When you take it easy they reward you with lasting a long time. I had bad experiences with Bridgestones. Inconsistent quality! You never know what you're getting.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Both of my bikes are heavier than yours, so I dunno how to gauge the results... but since you asked:

...I run the BT-56SS on both, and really like the tire a lot... will probably move to a BT010 on the rear to get a little more life, but absolutely no complaints about the wet or dry grip from the Bridgestones.

Ed

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
tough choice. I have used Bridgestone Battlax and Pirelli Dragons and both are very good. I right now have a Michelin Macadam on the rear, Better milage tire. And Battlax SS on the front. That's on my 92 750.

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
When I switched to 17" wheels last summer I put a BT010 on the front and a MEZ4(170/60) on the rear. (it came with the rear wheel and I'm not going to throw away a practicly new tire...based on the QC data on the casing) I have a BT010 (180/55) for the rear that I will put on when I wear out the MEZ4.

I like the both of them. I'm not super sensative like Aaron Yates might be when it comes to tires.

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts
I made the mistake of running MEZ1r on the front and MEZ1 on the rear. Didn't like the warmup time of the front, also hated how I'd just get some heat into them and run through some mist...grrrrrr. Anyhow, have been a Metzeler guy for years on motorcycles, but a Michelin man when I was riding roadie bicycle. Since I now LOOK like the Michelin man, thought it would be a good time to try out the Pilot Sports.

Excellent tire. Love it. Just one minor pain - I've got a 6" PM Chicane for a rear wheel, so run 190 tires. Well, Michelin's idea of a nominal 190 is 198. Needed to do a little tree pruning!

PS: to all the Bridgestone users or queries. It seems like most of my buds are moving over to BT56ss and waiting for the 012s etc. They do a fair bit of both trackday work and canyon stuff and can't afford the nutzy prices. Lots of good stories from them.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
John, no argument there... the B12 is pretty hard on rear tires, and so I've gone through a couple of BT-56SS on it.

They seem to warm up fast, lotsa bite even when overheated, and great manners when wet... the full-radius front profile leans in well without that "falling in" feeling (I hated D207's for just that reason) and doesn't squirm around too badly on bumps.

I've also got 'em on the 1100w; same deal.

Ed

1 - 11 of 11 Posts