Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
I'm runnin' redline 10w40. works great!
I have run mobil 1 10w40, honda hp4 10w40, spectro 10w40, golden spectro 10w40 and they all work good. I would stick to 10w40 unless your bike runs hot or your driving around in the summer in stop and go traffic.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm guessing you guys run thicker oil for more protection? Do you notice any difference in how the engine runs with the thicker oil?

·
Registered
0 Posts
if the bike has always run synthetic go with mobil 1 15-50(some good shit). if the bike was raised on dino juice, so to speak, and has a good bit of mileage, stick with a good sg rated mineral oil.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I run Motul 5100.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've always used Golden Spectro Semi-Synth with great results. Of course, if you change every 1500mi like I do, nearly any oil should work just fine. In my past experiences, full Synth's have given way to clutch slippage.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Synth oils are probably the best thing you can feed one of these oil-cooled engines... they're very stable over a wide range of temps and typically don't lose properties as quickly as the dino-base oils do.

The only "downside" to them is that they lubricate so well that some wet-clutch bikes can't handle them well- my Bandit1200, for instance... I'd definitely be running a synth oil (and probably will once I upgrade to a lockup clutch) but the clutch pack doesn't have enough torque capacity to hold the engine when synth is in the sump.

So yeah, there are cases where synth oils aren't a good choice- but it's more due to shortcomings of the bike than of the oil.

Ed

1 - 12 of 12 Posts