Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 06 1k used and the grips needed to be replaced badly. I bought the cycle gears special
https://www.cyclegear.com/parts/pro-grip-724-duo-density-road-grips

I cut the old ones off, used hairspray and my airhose and got the grips on, except the throttle side, I wasn't able to completely push it up and sure enough 2 thousand miles later its starting to pull down a lot over my bar ends.

Before I buy the same set again, just wondering if there is something you all use, swear by?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
I've always preferred the OEM grips

·
Both Handsome AND Pretty!
19,104 Posts
I use Scott's Grip Glue, then I also safety wire the grips. When I was a lot younger my best friend that I raced MX with had a hairsprayed grip come loose in a rain race when leaving a jump & he ended up landing with the left bar end spearing through his forearm. Fucked him up really badly. Left me paranoid about grips for life. Here's how I did mine. Put the wire twist so it falls between the space where your palm would end and your fingertips are and smash the end into the grip.

Is there a lip on the throttle tube that's in the way? If there is, just Dremel it off.

Attachments

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yea hairspray trick was from my bmx days, seems to have worked and if I would have ensured the throttle side was completely seated all the way up, I probably wouldn't have this issue, I think I'll switch to the glue too

·
That’s Mister Chalet To You ....
7,744 Posts
If it aint broke, don't fix it. OEM FTW

I remember in the 80s, it was almost EXPECTED for people to rip off the nice OEM grips and throw on those gay foamy Grab-On pieces of shit that I HATED.

·
----------------
1,761 Posts
If it aint broke, don't fix it. OEM FTW

I remember in the 80s, it was almost EXPECTED for people to rip off the nice OEM grips and throw on those gay foamy Grab-On pieces of shit that I HATED.
Yeah those foam grips are the worst, I rented a bike that had them and did not like the feel at all.

·
I know things... A lot of things.
3,148 Posts
Don't you find the OEM grips a bit hard and slippery? I've never used fresh OEM Suzuki grips (and the ones I replaced must have been on there for years), but I have tried the OEM R1 grip, when I got it with the throttle tube. It's certainly usable, but I did find the softer Renthal grips a lot nicer in terms of feel, mostly because their grippy rubber required less squeezing of the grip to prevent slipping. Of course the single-compound soft versions barely last a few months, but the Kevlars are quite durable and about the same in terms of feel. I also like their no-nonsense appearance, devoid of the usual flashy graphic ans patterns and about the only problem I have with them, is that they're a bit too short for our grips.

·
IM THE BRONZE
1,336 Posts
The inner lip on that picture is designed for stock grip, it locks onto that lip and gives the best fit.
Most aftermarket grips are too short and have no locking feature.
I have been riding forever ans I've tried almost every grip, many are too thin as well and will hurt your hands.
For durability and fit, stock is the best IMO.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts