Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed bit of ticking onto gear lever when accelerating, so undo cover and found badly worn front sprocket so bought full kit new sprockets and chain fitted and and now this sound....clutch wont engage either...tried adjusting 10. Times witht the same result when clutching barrelly does it....any ideas??
See video link 20200601_210455.mp4
20200530_174901.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
832 Posts
Can't be of much help, but I'm sure someone will come along with a better suggestion
Though it's been a while since I last heard it, I thought a vibration in the gearlever meant that the outgoing axle bearing is worn

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
8,222 Posts
Unless you cleaned the sprocket for the pic there's not nearly enough lube on it, which suggests that you haven't been properly lubing it. The sprocket is indeed badly worn - you can see the hooked teeth. It seems strange that there's the usual thrown off lube on the crankcase and some, but not a lot, on the chain; but the sprocket is so clean as to be rusting.

You can see the chain moving around on the buffer as it stretches and releases. Does that sync with the clicking? I'm guessing that it's hitting something. Take the sprocket cover off and try again. It will be unusual but I think it will start with the cover off, in gear, and the kickstand up. Also inspect the buffer for wear. Any chance that you have a 520 chain & sprocket and put the front sprocket on backwards?

·
That’s Mister Moderator To You ....
7,935 Posts
That poor bike. If you rode it into this state of disrepair, I'd bet the tire pressure hasn't been checked since you bought it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
When you install the gear cover, you have to match up the clutch push pin, it sounds like you didn’t do this properly,, thus the reason you don’t have clutch

·
Registered
21 Posts
Surely you should be asking what is causing the chain slap, because that seems to be whats making the noise. Have you checked the alignment of the back wheel? Is there any side to side movement of the back sprocket as it rotates?

·
Registered
Accurate Butt Dyno
309 Posts
Guys, he said he replaced his sprockets and chain, chill out.

First, the clutch, as was stated before you need to line up your clutch push pin to your clutch slave cylinder. Once lined up pump you clutch lever several times, should solve that issue.

Now onto the massive chain slap, and noise. Definitely need to look at rear wheel alignment, something is binding, you cannot ride it like this, make sure there is zero play in your front sprocket, and make sure your back tire is tracking strait.

Hope that helps. Cheers.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Guys, he said he replaced his sprockets and chain, chill out.

First, the clutch, as was stated before you need to line up your clutch push pin to your clutch slave cylinder. Once lined up pump you clutch lever several times, should solve that issue.

Now onto the massive chain slap, and noise. Definitely need to look at rear wheel alignment, something is binding, you cannot ride it like this, make sure there is zero play in your front sprocket, and make sure your back tire is tracking strait.

Hope that helps. Cheers.
Ah most of the ppls just looking to slender someone and forget how they started out...

So the story is the old sprocket extended the chain resulting in vibration, then fiting new chain I left it to long...my adjusters are all the way at the back...so a learning curve here...ordered new master link rivet will try to redo a proper lenght and hopefully its not major issue. As for clutch probably right I need to make sure its flat to the metal as it should. Thanks all for help

·
8,222 Posts
Should be 110 links. A few more is possible but you need to know what you're doing there.

Slender someone eh?

·
Registered
216 Posts
That does NOT, repeat, NOT look like a new front sprocket!!

How did the teeth get bent? And backwards of all things?

Can you research the service manual, and/or better yet, find someone that knows how to do a chain and sprocket replacement?

Last but not least, please be careful riding b/c a thrown chain causes MAJOR damage in almost all cases. To the bike, and/or your left leg.

Stop now, research, get someone who knows what they are doing to help you, and start over.

And again, how did that front sprocket get like that? It's new? ?

It will get better, needs some TLC.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That does NOT, repeat, NOT look like a new front sprocket!!

How did the teeth get bent? And backwards of all things?

Can you research the service manual, and/or better yet, find someone that knows how to do a chain and sprocket replacement?

Last but not least, please be careful riding b/c a thrown chain causes MAJOR damage in almost all cases. To the bike, and/or your left leg.

Stop now, research, get someone who knows what they are doing to help you, and start over.

And again, how did that front sprocket get like that? It's new? ?

It will get better, needs some TLC.
Read thrue my first post...

·
8,222 Posts
^That's not a new sprocket. The teeth are worn, badly, not bent. See 8-43 in the service manual.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Clutch fixed...as you said had it not aligned properly...however...changed all new chain sprockets and the whole lot...but the when bike is on stand and in gear it still clatters...i have chain tensioned really good but it seems its coming from front sprocket...I double checked front sprocket it does not skip teeth when in gear... noticed that once chain runs smoothy no clatter, so it means it is hitting something But I checked all for loose ends...See vide bellow 20200608_202111.mp4

·
Registered
216 Posts
You tensioned it properly, with some slack, to specs, right?
In your video- In my opinion, the chain is now too tight- at that spot anyways. Looked tight as a fiddle string, to me anyways.
You have to turn the wheel some and check other spots on the chain tension also.
Yes, even on new chain and sprockets.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You tensioned it properly, with some slack, to specs, right?
In your video- In my opinion, the chain is now too tight- at that spot anyways. Looked tight as a fiddle string, to me anyways.
You have to turn the wheel some and check other spots on the chain tension also.
Yes, even on new chain and sprockets.
Yes was a bit too tight so made just a small bit more slack, but clatter is there.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts