Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I bought a new bike a few weeks ago. 2009 gsxr 1000 with 3k miles on it and has a full two bros system. At idle, there's this weird ticking noise and it seems out of place. Please have a look and let me know what you think.

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
9,144 Posts
I gather that it's on the left side, which tends to rule out the timing chain. Can you tell if it's from high or low in the engine? Low would point at the rotor (possibly contacting the stator) or the water pump. High would suggest the valve train (maybe something hitting the CMPS). K9 has an unusual method of providing oil to the crankshaft via the rotor cover but I don't see how that could be a source of noise.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I gather that it's on the left side, which tends to rule out the timing chain. Can you tell if it's from high or low in the engine? Low would point at the rotor (possibly contacting the stator) or the water pump. High would suggest the valve train (maybe something hitting the CMPS). K9 has an unusual method of providing oil to the crankshaft via the rotor cover but I don't see how that could be a source of noise.
I'm not sure what side specifically. If I had to pick, I'd say it is coming from the lower right side. Is this something that should definelty get fixed asap or is it normal for a k9 ? Can't imagine a bike with 3k miles is already having issues, not trying to sound ignorant here lol.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually I just went and looked, it's the upper part of the engine. Right side of the bike. Seems to start happening a minute or so after starting the bike.

·
Registered
GSX-R 1000 2014 L4 in the Netherlands
76 Posts
Maybe buy an engine stethoscope to listen, they are cheap and can pinpoint any noise.
It is almost scary how much engine sound is heared when using them.
Good luck, With that milage any wear item should be fine but there are a few like you mention: Waterpump, clutch, chain adjuster,

Maybe compression test to see if valves not sticking or some difference or just a high rev trip and see if it goes away but easy to mention that when not my bike.

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
9,144 Posts
Upper right reeks of the cam chain/adjuster, though K9 has a new design adjuster that looks superior to what was used earlier. The adjuster is pressurized by engine oil. See the service manual.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts