Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 98 gsxr and when i do a wheelie more than a foot of the ground the ram air tubes pop outta place and it seems now when i ride the fairng is tapping against the gauges i tried to tighten all the bolts that seemed like it would help but nothin has changed wat could it be?

·
Banned
6,048 Posts
ive never heard of this prob b4 but im thinkin you need to replace the headcage (or lower front fairing stay - possibly the upper one two) it seems if they are askew(bent or outa shape) things that u describe might happen
if im right, you can find these parts very easily and somewhat affordable on ebay. let me know if you need help hunting them down.

scott

·
Registered
3 Posts
Check the headlight assembly mounts. They are what hold the front fairing in place. If they have cracked or broken, they could cause the problems you are describing.

Or just try pulling the whole front section off, and see if anything looks wrong.

Or try setting your wheelies down softer!

·
Registered
9,334 Posts
I used black duct tape to tape the rubber boots to the ram air intakes....

something with your upper fairing isn't right man... check everything

·
Banned
6,048 Posts
dust tape can stop the problem, yet not solve it. i agree with the ideas of strippin the front end down......see my above post 4 the rest

·
Registered
701 Posts
I had the same problem. There were 2 causes. One was that I didn't have a fairing (mirror) stay. That let the front end bounce like hell. The other was that the fairing bracket (just under the speedo) wasn't bolted to the upper fairing and headlight assembly. So I have discovered that without BOTH of these brackets properly bolted on, my upper would bounce when I sat down my wheelies, allowing my ram air tubes to pop out. I lost one at 120mph one day, because the bouncing allowed the tabs on the tubes to break off. I just made som tabs with acrylic plexi-glass and super glue with baking soda.

So fix those mounts, and you'll be okay,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts