Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
I would NOT recomend doing the airbox mod on the 600 srad bikes...its not worth the half a horse power for all the trouble you will go threw to get your carbs tuned to except the new mod..its a nightmare!!! avoid doing it or you will be regretting paying a good dyno tech to tune your bike.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
I 2nd that

Our bikes are very sensitive to changes to the airbox and\or air filter. A few Suzi mechanics have told me how it's a bitch to setup the carbs with modded airbox or K&N.

Nevertheless, my bike has a K&N and the results are great above 6000rpm, smooth continuous torque. But below that, it's a bit bumpy

KaTz

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
<h1>HOLD UP....</h1>

I have a 96 750 CARBED, with full yosh exhaust and I decided to do the air box mod AND add a Uni-Filter.
Once I completed the air box mod it hesitated some and then When I added the Filter....It Really jerked around. I figured out(with help from gix.com)
That I needed to rejet for the increased air so I did....WOW...What a huge difference it made!

You say 1/2 hp????....I say, I got at least 5hp gain in the mid range and top end sounds like a jet screamin down the road! This mod Really helped me out with the wheelies too, more power right where I needed it!

It works!!! You just have to rejet. I got lucky with my first rejet and it worked perfect. You might have to screw around with the sizes a couple times but I say DO IT and You'll be happy!!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
if i had the money to have a mechanic or money test jets i would do it but im a broke 19 year old barley able to afford a bike i would try it but very little money and 2 out of 3 no dont do it is good for me but thanks anyways guys ill stick to mods that dont require little money any other mods i can do for not much muney.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Originally posted by outcold:
<h1>HOLD UP....</h1>

I have a 96 750 CARBED, with full yosh exhaust and I decided to do the air box mod AND add a Uni-Filter.
Once I completed the air box mod it hesitated some and then When I added the Filter....It Really jerked around. I figured out(with help from gix.com)
That I needed to rejet for the increased air so I did....WOW...What a huge difference it made!

You say 1/2 hp????....I say, I got at least 5hp gain in the mid range and top end sounds like a jet screamin down the road! This mod Really helped me out with the wheelies too, more power right where I needed it!

It works!!! You just have to rejet. I got lucky with my first rejet and it worked perfect. You might have to screw around with the sizes a couple times but I say DO IT and You'll be happy!!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Bullshit. Who the hell uses a dirt bike filter on a sport bike?

Post the dyno charts or go home.

To make this mod work, it would take revised air bleeds, needles, and a shit load of dyno work. Nobody makes a kit.

Tried it, threw a shitload of mainjet at it, and never did find much power. Low end cratered, throttle respose cratered, squid mod. Going to try it again after a FI conversion.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I don't come in here to bullshit........

UNI makes filters for All Motorcycles, dirtbike boy!
I got mine from Dennis Kirk, page 389, part #30-1609, price $27.99.
If you don't believe me that's fine, But I speak the truth! I think the problem is that you don't want to admit that you don't know as much as you think you do........Good luck with your FI!

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Note: The airbox mod in the library is for the 750, not the 600.

When i first got my bike, i was interested to carry out the mod, but from the advice on this board, it's best not to.

NOt much from to gain, and plenty to loose

I cannot say if it's good or bad for the 750, i leave that for the 750 SRAD riders

KaTz

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
because it works on a 750 does not mean it will work on a 600 you have diffrent displacement,But saying that it will not wrk and saying its bullshit is not true even though you spend some $$ and did not wrk for you does not mean it will not work for everyone. If you do not cut the whole as wide as most have then it can be done. I am not doing it even though I have one in my garage right now. Maybe later though

·
Registered
645 Posts
it's all a risk when you modify anything that was designed by the factory. I say this. Find another airbox that someone is selling. Hog that one out, and then attempt to tune. If all else fails, just retune back to the way it was, and put the stock one back in. That's all there is to it.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Yeah...I don't know about the 600's But it did work on mine. When I cut out the air box and then drove it around, I had a slight hesitation around 10,500-11,500rpm's. Wasn't really that bad, BUT, when I added the UNI foam filter........It went Wacko! From about 7000-13,000rpm's it sputtered and kicked.

After I changed the main jets, it was Perfect!!
Now it's a runnin sum bitch. Thanks for the support guys, I'm not a bullshitter

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
Originally posted by gixxer6:
if i had the money to have a mechanic or money test jets i would do it but im a broke 19 year old barley able to afford a bike i would try it but very little money and 2 out of 3 no dont do it is good for me but thanks anyways guys ill stick to mods that dont require little money any other mods i can do for not much muney.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">If it hasn't been done yet, then go buy a 15th tooth front sprocket and install that. It'll cost you about $13-$20 and give you a ton more torque.

·
Registered
788 Posts
It was a real improvement on my 96 750 also, 145/142.5 main jets was the key (stock was around 122.5 or so?). I went up a size or 2 on the pilots, left the FactoryPro needle on position 3. Can't say about the 600, but its not hard to try, get a second airbox and learn to yank the carbs, get a synchronizer, and go way up on the main jets. A dyno run ($50 most places) is also very helpful when you get close.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i need a new chain and sprocket so that sounds like a good mod for me. i read my post reply and i can't spell hehehe thanks everyone

·
Registered
645 Posts
yeah, a 15T front sprocket's fine... I used one for awhile, but it just changes your whole gear ratio on the outside of the gearbox. Just makes it all shorter. That, and throws off the speedo, so you're going slower than what it says... so I'd make sure if you do that, you get a yellowbox to correct it. Otherwise, no torque difference too much. HP is the only answer.. torque will follow that by so much. See here's the difference I've found. I went back to my 16 T front and just have one up in the rear still. I'm just as fast as a friend of mine who runs a 15T front, and same rear as me. We both are just as fast, but he barely... and I mean barely get's the best of me for maybe a couple secs. Most of the time it's even. I get the advantage because I get more wind out per gear. Then I leave him behind because he runs out quicker.

[ 01-26-2003, 09:52 AM: Message edited by: 96Gixx7Fitty ]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts