Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
3,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been doing a little searching on the history behind Yoshimura and not finding too much. Doe's anyone know of a book that covers them in detail? It's pretty sad that the younger riders seem to think of them as just "a pipe company." I hear this all the time. What's even sadder is that they're really kind of right; compared to the company years ago, I think. And if anyone in the Yoshimura computer dept. is reading this; start the revolution by changing your damn website! We want to surf, not enter only under a specific model and year. The worst part is that nothing really comes up anymore for mine.

P.S. I'll pay $20 to anyone that can find me a Yosh upper clamp or right side engine cover for my bike at a fair price. Thanks all.

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts
Yoshimura is alive and well in Japan (and with their non-USA distribution, eg Phoenix in the UK). The sorry excuse found in the USA doesn't even supply the high quality pipes that are available to other companies not locked into the Yosh USA sales area. Also, it is a weird relationship, since the two companies have virtually crap in common. When Yosh USA named one of their pipes the Cyclone, they were shitkicked by Yosh Japan and had to rename it to that 'Zyclone' bullshit.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I had yosh rebuild my engine back in 93. Back then you could pick between three diffrent motor combos and then customize each one. There was nothing better or more expensive. But what they put out was top notch, a completely tuned system that had not more then 2 hp drop anywhere on the scale. I think they would still do a full engine package but the cost keeps most (sane) people to only a jet kit and pipe. Horrible trade off.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Yoshimura Usa can "go hug a Dick"
I don't know anything about Yosh Japan but Yosh Usa is not doing anything for any Gixxers Prior to 96 anymore, if one was really Hard up for a Yosh pipe for an oil cooler, get the Bandit header and bastardize a mid pipe , for my money, I am going to Hindle for my new pipe
-Karl

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Yeah, its too bad that yosh has gotten away from the oil coolers. There are lots of us that would still like to buy their products of they had them.

·
YAAFM Mod
3,016 Posts
Yes it is sad when a company looses its roots. the A/O Gixxer's made them a household name. I have several old catalogs (80,81,85,96-2002) and a friend has a old one that covers mostly SOHC 750 Hondas. You have to pick up the old parts where you can find them. I have Yosh rear sets on both my 88 and my 90, Upper triple clamps for a 93-95 750 that will soon hold my 1000 forks in my 90, Duplex sytems on both, and am trying to track down a Ti system that is supposed to be NIB in Texas, My 88 750 head on the 7-11 has a Yosh stage 3 port job and cams in it, as well as made for Yosh/Suzuki Kit Mag Mikuni RS flatslides. Their parts are top notch if you can find them.
Bones

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
A couple of years ago I was looking for Yosh parts for my RG and they were no fuckin help. They didn't say it but I got the impression they want everyone to buy the current gixxer every year and get all new kit for it...

and there's no need for that.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Yoshimura was a household name before Suzuki ever built a GSXR.

The best history of the company I have ever seen is old Yosh ( as in Pops) catalogs.

There is a reason companies like Yosh and Vance & Hines evolve into "pipe" companies. It is called profit. When you can sell someone $30 worth of tubing for $600, it is hard to get too excited about cams and pistons.

You have to personally love the hard parts to sell them instead of pipes.

Jay

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
Originally posted by Jay:
Yoshimura was a household name before Suzuki ever built a GSXR.

The best history of the company I have ever seen is old Yosh ( as in Pops) catalogs.

There is a reason companies like Yosh and Vance & Hines evolve into "pipe" companies. It is called profit. When you can sell someone $30 worth of tubing for $600, it is hard to get too excited about cams and pistons.

You have to personally love the hard parts to sell them instead of pipes.

Jay
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Oh sure...an answer based in reality.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Like I said yosh can hug a dick.

·
Premium Member
11,910 Posts
Yeah, piss on any company that won't produce parts for a 10-17 year old bike....... it's a damn shame, what is the world coming to?

[ 06-03-2002, 02:28 PM: Message edited by: jeffw ]

G

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by jeffw:
Yeah, piss on any company that won't produce parts or a 10-17 year old bike....... it's a damn shame, what is the world coming to?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Sorry but I ain't got enough piss to go around to them all!

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Hmmm, sarcasm from JeffW,
hey JeffW the 1000 forum is over there->

-Karl

·
Premium Member
11,910 Posts
So lets see... people are looking for "kit" parts that were used for racing and can't find them.

What you may not know is who makes these parts.....it's not Yoshimura. Kit parts are made by Suzuki Japan for the bikes that they currently race. That means if they are not racing that bike any more, then they do not make the "kit" parts for it.

So end in the end it's Yoshimura's fault for not stocking 10-15 year old kit parts that not even Suzuki Japan makes any more????? I think not.

You really need to know whow things work before you start blasting someone.

Take a look at the current Yosh catalog, yes they make more than just exhausts....but in the end (in real life) a single company can't be all to everyone....and to stay in business a company must make money.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Come on Jeff, stop picking on us old and slow guys Still living in the past! (Speaking only for myself)

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
I never wanted "kit" parts I think that yosh's customer service sucks. Yes they have to make money, but it is a shame that everyone is expected to be on the latest and greatest machinery. 'sides Jeffw is all gung ho 'cause he has some yosh japan kit parts for his super duper carbon 1k

well Jeff we all cant be as cool as you

-Karl

1 - 16 of 16 Posts