Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The guys at the dealership told me high octane, well I read on one post that regular unleaded goes in the tank. Now my tank is getting low and I don't want to put the wrong fuel in it. What should I use? Sorry for the newb question, I'm new to this motorcycle thing.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Use 87. All higher octane means is that the fuel has a higher resistance to detonation. In other words it is in a sense, harder to combust. Running higher octane in an engine that runs fine on lower octane (such as one designed for it, like yours) will give only one performance benefit - you may experience improved handling and acceleration due to lightness of the wallet.

There are countless ignorant people out there that run the highest octane in all their vehicles because they think more expensive is better, but they're just that - ignorant.

·
Registered
5 Posts
actually the higher octane gases have less additives in them even on cars 83 octane gas is bad for it not because of how it runs but it causes greater carbon build up in the head and exhaust manifold also shortens the life of your catylitic converter. just a lil info for yall. i work on cars for a living so i kinda know a lil bit about it. now if you run 83 octane and lucas F.I. Cleaner with the gas then it would be okay but when you do that you are spending just as much as you would paying for the high octane gas. just when you buy high octane gas you save yourself a little bit of trouble now if you run high octane you can still use lucas F.I. cleaner and if it isn't a new bike or car and has over im going to say 15,000 miles on it then it will help in performance and gas mileage.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Plus, there's more to it than the octane... generally speaking premum pump fuels have a higher calorific value than regular, which means they burn with more energy. The SV, stock, won't benefit much from it, mind, since it's not a very high compression motor.

·
Registered
30 Posts
In my case I have an 05 svs w/ a full yoshi exhaust and a p/c. Does that change what type I should use???

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
maybe if you had a custom fuel/ignition map made for the bike using expresly that specific fuel!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Can the PCIII for the SV adjust the ignition timing? Don't think so, but if it can then you could advance the ignition and benefit more from premium fuels that way... But I think the only way to do that on the SV is to either slot the pickup mount or fit an offset woodruff key.

If you're worried about carbon buildup, you can use the old steam clean trick and spray water from a squirt gun into your intakes from time to time with hte engine running, or use Redex carb treatment or similiar. If you're worried about your catalytic converter... You don'thave one.

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
why not some VP U4

I wasn't sure if the PC was able to adjust ignition on the new Gen. SV's like on the GSXR's and the PCIIIR

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
Sky are you in 4id or 1st Cav??

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
I was over in 2-8 Infantry when I was there (2002).

·
Registered
79 Posts
Plus, there's more to it than the octane... generally speaking premum pump fuels have a higher calorific value than regular, which means they burn with more energy. The SV, stock, won't benefit much from it, mind, since it's not a very high compression motor.
No, the only difference between high octane and standard is
-Resistance to detonation.
-Some stations put a different additive package (detergents) in premium.

High octane will not burn hotter, burn faster, or burn with more energy. It will resist detonation better, is all. If your bike doesn't ping or knock on 87, 93 is wasted money. If you're really worried about the detergents, get a bottle of Red Line fuel treatment ($4 for 10 car treatments/20 bike treatments) and know what you're putting in there instead of guessing that the premium has better additives.
My SV ('01) was labeled as 87 AKI needed, and ran like a champ on 87. Remember that euro octane is often given in RON or MON, instead of AKI, which is the US standard (AKI = (RON+MON)/2).

(Note that the no-ping rule does not apply to modern cars with knock sensors that retard timing. For those, just put in what the manual says - which, IMO, is good advice for any vehicle. They didn't pull those numbers out of their asses. If you haven't done a mod that changes compression, your octane need shouldn't be changing, either.)

·
Registered
100 Posts
No, the only difference between high octane and standard is
-Resistance to detonation.
-Some stations put a different additive package (detergents) in premium.
Maybe with some stations and suppliers. Over here, for example Shell Optimax premium has a higher calorific value than Shell Regular, though, as does the BP equivalent. Feel free to believe otherwise but it's a simple fact.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts