Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 93 750 I need a new front wheel due to a wreck. I was told that 96-99 gsxr wheels will bolt right up and someone else told me that 2000 ^ would work on a 96-99. But neither guy could say for sure that both would work on my 93.
So anyway, I'd like to put a 2000 ^ on my bike cause they are lighter so does anyone know if they will fit? Mostly I'm interested in the front wheel right now but if the back will fit to that would be great. I'm assuming I'd need the carrier, sprocket on the back.

·
Registered
47 Posts
As far as I know...you need a PRE-SRAD wheel. The 96+ 750 wheels won't fit. Any GSX-R 1100 from 89+ will fit. Also Bandit 1200, and RF900 will fit.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
ANYthing is possible - but if you want a direct bolt-on replacement, you gotta stay away from the SRAD and newer stuff like Mahly mentioned. The axle-diameters and rotor-size changes and it's a fair bit of work to make spacers/brackets to get one of the newer wheels into the older forks.

·
Has been Texan longer than the cheerleader
26,430 Posts
Just keep in mind that any gsxr 750 wheel above 1996 will loose your speedometer drive.......aside from all the custom modifications you will have to make. Save yourself some time and money and go with one of the following:
88-95 GSXR 750
92-93 GSXR 600
89-98 GSXR 1100

If weight is that important to you go with a 94-95 GSXR 750 wheel set.... they are the straight spoke wheels. Some 92-93 GSXR 600's use the straight spoke wheels too........

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So the speedo is driven off the front wheel? I just assumed it would be off the trans like on a car.

I had another guy tell me that if I press out the bearing on my stock wheel and press it into an 02 wheel then I won't have to mess with the spacers and crap. The brake rotors are suppose to be very slightly wider so that's an easy fix.
Is there anything else I need to be worried about when doing this? Weight isn't a big deal but since I need a new wheel anyway I figured what the hell. Plus I like the looks of the 2000 ^ wheels a lot better.

·
26,430 Posts
What part about" losing your speedo drive" didn't you understand?

Bobbychet
Thanks Bobby......
I've been trying really hard not to bash anyone here...... But..... This thread has me completely baffled. To tackle a project with just a bunch of hearsay is beyond me!
Jeez come on man...... your life is riding on that front wheel.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well it's not like i'm going to do something that's not safe. That's why I was asking if anyone has done it before.
I guess you guys don't do it a lot on bikes but with all my cars you can swap parts from year-year or old body style to newer one. The reason to do that is to get the best parts that make your car faster. A lot of stuff is interchangeable.
I dont' see why it wouldn't be safe to swap wheels anyway. If it fits then it fits, especially if the bearing can be swapped over it should take almost no modifing to mount it.
Oh well, I guess no one here has done it.

·
Registered
7,885 Posts
Red.
alot of people have probably done it but you'll lose the drive cable option.You can get a Sigma bicycle computer and use one of those for your MPH and Odometer.Also you'll have to take into account whether if the rotors rub or not .But no I've never seen anyone incorporate a speedo drive gear assy onto a newer wheel
Bobbychet

·
26,430 Posts
I'm a Mechanical Engineer...... When it comes to modifications I like doing them as much as anyone else.... After all I took a set of Marvic wheels from a first generation GSXR race bike and designed new spacers for them to work on my WaterCooled bike. Sure there are some safe mods to do and some that are not so safe. I'm just saying your research is kinda weak on this particular one.

Lets start off with the front brakes..... not only are the new generation rotors 5mm larger in diameter but the spacing between them is different as well. You said this is an easy fix but I disagree. It would require special caliper adapters be made to compensate for larger diameter rotors and different spacing between the rotors. Can this be done? Sure....

BUT

The Axle is larger in diameter as well..... which will require a bearing change .... and thats even if a bearing exist for the new o.d. / i.d. combination. I do know that for the rear wheel conversion you cannot get the required o.d. / i.d. bearing, it doesn't exist. Fastcat put an SRAD 6"X17" rear wheel on her bike but from what I remember she said it was a pain in the ass.... requireing some machining of the hub and some fabrication of spacers. Fastcat is probably the best fabricator here at GDC and when she says it was a pain in the ass.... I believe her!

If you want a simple near bolt on mod to get the new gen front wheel then convert the whole front end over.... forks, brakes everything. That way you get the radial brake setup and all the new tech goodies. This would require that you have the steering stem machined to fit the steering head of your 93 GSXR and you are good to go. Bad news is that I seriously doubt you will be able to get the new gen rear wheel centered in the chassis and still have the rear sprocket line up with the front..... then you have the whole axle diameter issue to resolve.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
you tell him 317!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you want a simple near bolt on mod to get the new gen front wheel
I know it's not going to be a simple bolt on. That's not a problem. I was going to measure everything before I ride it too, for safety obviously.

Anyway I was mostly seeing if anyone has done this before to save me some hassle of figuring everything out on my own but it's ok. Never mind.

·
26,430 Posts
Well there really is no advantage to installing the 96+ front wheel on these bikes..... thats why you aren't getting any responses.

To save weight people just look for the straight spoke wheels from the 94-95 GSXR 750, they were lighter than the curved spoke wheels and looked like the SRAD wheels to boot. If you ever see the straight spoke wheels from a 94-95 GSXR 750 on Ebay you will notice they sell for considerably more than the curved wheels from the 93 GSXR 750.....

Please fill us in on your success story when it is completed.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I have a SRAD front wheel & oversize Ferodo rotors on my project...yes you will loose your speedo drive & have to make new spacers for wheel & calipers. The bearings aren't a problem but due to zero offset of brake rotors, caliper hangers can be tricky. Someone with good mechanical knowledge & access to a mill will not be intimidated. Why though when you can either buy the correct wheel or newer front end? If you have to do it though,like I did, SPA tachometer has option for speedometer display that is calibreted ,I believe by placement of magnetic weight placed onto wheel.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
what bearings did you use for the front wheel? I was told that you need a 1mm spacer on each side of the wheel, is that what you used?
I'm hoping to get bent wheel off and srad from someone just so I can borrow it to see what is needed to use it. Also the benifit of using a newer wheel is cause they are lighter, 2000 ^ are suppose to be lighter than the srad's. That's the only reason I wanted to do this, and yes I knew about the 94-95 wheels being lighter, I just wanted to try this instead. It looked more appealing.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I don't remember what the part number was, I just took stock 96 bearing bearings to a automotive parts store & told themm I wanted same outside diameter but stock axle inside diameter. I took the stock axle with me obviously. You will have to make a new inside bearing spacer because it to is larger in diameter. You will have to make a spacer to replace speedo drive & machine off a portion of front axle that tightens against bearing. This is because wheel is physically wider due to zero offset brake rotor, brake rotor is flat & not the carrier isn't dished like older models. This is a ton of work & I don't recommend that you do this when if you look hard enough you'll find an old race wheel in magnesium. Better yet look for a PM or RC, there made from spun aluminum & lighter yet! Remember you can use any front wheel from a 88-95 750 & 89-98 1100. They all have same front bearing size & width dimensions....they bolt right in with NO MODIFICATION'S.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So I know you said the 89-98 1100 will bolt right up but do I still loose my speedo? I hate to ask that but someone else on this board said you loose it if you go with a newer wheel.

I thought about just going to a bike salvage yard and seeing if they will let me take some measurements on some of there wheels. If I ever get the time to go out there. anyway...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts