Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking into getting my bike ready to take on a couple track days. Just need to know what all i have to do in order to get it ready. Also, once I get my bike "track ready" is it irreversable, or will i be able to ride it on the street again?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Tape up all lights - prevents debris from being scattered across the track in a crash.

Unplug all lights - nobody wants to see your taillight on the track, plus the heat from the lights will gum up your tape.

Remove mirrors, lis. plate, etc (basically anything that can get damaged during a get-off).

Check with your track to make sure - rules can very from track to track.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
The last thing that Jrod mentioned is the most important.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I don't wanna screw with that stuff, nor do I wish to go dropping cash fixing my Gixxer if I have a get-off, so I'm buying a dedicated track bike.
I'm looking at a couple of earlier GSXR 600s right now, an '01 and a '97. Any comments on which one would make a better track bike?

·
Registered
16,168 Posts
The newer gen gixxers are better handeling...and have a tad more power...while the 97 is a fun bike...I'd try to get a 01 or newer...Oh, and the 97 600 has carbs...where as the 01 has fuel injection...

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
The best thing to do is what I did. I took my 03 R1 on a trackday and at the end of the day it came out with no problems or crashes but I realized it was stupid to be risking the nice pretty bike so I searched the nesba forums and wera forums and found alot of bikes in the price range of $2000 with some help from a friend. So I bought a 97' GSX-R 600 ready to roll for $1750. Full track plastics and all the goodies that you would do for a trackbike. I'll probably ride this for this year and then over the winter pick up something newer but got this because it's cheap and I'm going to end up going down sometime so might as well do it on a lesser expensive bike. Just buy a cheap used trackbike.

·
Registered
964 Posts
The newer gen gixxers are better handeling...and have a tad more power...while the 97 is a fun bike...I'd try to get a 01 or newer...Oh, and the 97 600 has carbs...where as the 01 has fuel injection...
ppfffttttt.....Hammer
'97 Gixxer 600 fo life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
415 Posts
Well I ended up winning the auction for the '01. Fuel injection was a big part of the reason I went with the '01--I hate carbs.

·
Registered
16,168 Posts
ppfffttttt.....Hammer
Sorry bro, I'll be picking up a 02 Gix 600....

How's things..?

·
Banned
15,031 Posts
take off the liscense plate too

just incase there is some fine print on your motorcycle policy - about extreme operations and what not.

·
Registered
964 Posts
ppfffttttt.....Hammer

How's things..?
Going great on my end. Nice, Hammer finally back on a bike. Thats a good thing.
When you picken her up? Dare I ask if this will be a track only bike?
I'm going to try to hit a trackdaZ event sometime in June or July. Maybe I'll see ya out there.

·
Registered
16,168 Posts
ppfffttttt.....Hammer

How's things..?
I'm going to try to hit a trackdaZ event sometime in June or July. Maybe I'll see ya out there.
Yup, track day Wepon Only...

Picken her up this Sunday...

I'll be lookin to get out on the track the first of June, or sooner, need to get a couple things first, hopefully I'll see ya out there...

·
Registered
964 Posts
ppfffttttt.....Hammer

How's things..?
Yup, track day Wepon Only...

Picken her up this Sunday...

I'll be lookin to get out on the track the first of June, or sooner, need to get a couple things first, hopefully I'll see ya out there...
Sweet, send me a PM to what track day event you're going to. I'll see if I can show up and get a few tips from the ol' man
. Congrats man, I just saw your other post, she's a 'bute

1 - 13 of 13 Posts