Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What dunlop\'s to get for my 98-750

I found a guy that has taken a set of brand new Dunlop 207's off a 2003 750. They came off the bike right out of the crate when it was delivered to the dealership. I was wondering if the stock Dunlop's on the 03's will work correctly with my 98. The sizes he told me are Front 120/70-17
Rear 180/55-17
I believe the front is alright, but the rear I believe is supposed to be a 190/50-17. I never do track days, so the standard 207R's will do me fine, and I don't need a race tire by any means. So what do you think? Will these ride ok, or should I stick to the OEM size??

[ 01-22-2003, 01:48 PM: Message edited by: slickstergsxr ]

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
Re: What dunlop\'s to get for my 98-750

They should be fine. Almost everybody changes from the 190 to the 180 anyway. You get a little bit faster steering with it too.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Ratman, what would a good price be? He was asking $175 for the set. Does that sound good?

·
Registered
5,107 Posts

Originally posted by Breathsounds:
IM not Ratman but yes that is a good deal.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Damm right you're not!

$175 isn't too bad, but I would try and get him down more than that. Maybe try and talk him down to $150. You can buy the set brand new from Ron Ayers for $191 + shipping. But I'm a cheap bastard.

·
Registered
900 Posts

Yeah go for it. I had to get 208s cause apparently they don't get the 207s in Aust. I've found the 208s to have a wear rate much faster than the 207s so that should suit you if not doing tracks or too much twisties.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Ratman,

you ain't cheap, Man! Your reasonable. I don't think the guy will go to $150. I'll try though. What other brands and models are good to check out for my bike??

·
Registered
81 Posts

I have 207's on my 98 750 and dont like them. I cant wait till they wear out so I can have an excuse to get new ones(cheap bastard to)

just dont stick very well at all. I've slid a little to much to be comfortable riding them. I let the pressure out to like 32 instead of the recommended 36 and they were still pretty slippery.

I don't go to the track either but I would get something better then 207's

·
Registered
16,168 Posts

The 207's will work fine for everyday riding, and yes even track days...I have a friend that uses 207's..cause he's a cheap bastid too..he's also pretty dang fast...If you can get the 207's at a cost that's around 160.00 for the set..buy em..in dry weather, run the front at around 32lbs, and the rear at 34 lbs..If your your commuting, or doing long rides up the tirte pressure to 36 at both ends..

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

If 207's are so bad, why does suzuki put them on as an OEM tire? If no one seems to like them, why do they continue putting them on then? I have considered some Metzlers but don't know what to get. I go on long rides, and lots of twisties when I can get the chance, like the Dragon.

·
Registered
16,168 Posts

Originally posted by slickstergsxr:
If 207's are so bad, why does suzuki put them on as an OEM tire? If no one seems to like them, why do they continue putting them on then? I have considered some Metzlers but don't know what to get. I go on long rides, and lots of twisties when I can get the chance, like the Dragon.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">To be fair to Dunlop..As I said, the 207's will work..The reason that most riders don't like em, is cause the newer tires are a bit better..different carcases, and rubber compounds..Unless your really pushing hard in the twisties..or doing something wrong, like mid turn streering corrections, which alot of riders do, and this causes all the stickest tires to slide..You'll be o.k. with the 207's..If you want a tire that lasts a long time, and has good handeling traits, try the Bridgstone BT010's..they work great, and are reasonably priced..What it all boils down to, si that tires are a riders personal choice, it's best to try as many brands/models as possible till ya find one YOU like...unfortunatly...that search, ain't cheap...

·
Registered
6,907 Posts

Originally posted by slickstergsxr:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Between what you just typed and what you have written on your sigpic... being "all about the twisties" ... it will be worth every penny of yours for what: 40 or 50 bucks, to go get some M-1 tires .... don't be such a miser!!

The Dunlop 207's are really a great tire, but when you're all about the twisties, there are better tires you can get to increase grip for not much more.

[ 01-22-2003, 11:38 PM: Message edited by: migz123 ]

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Ok Migz, where the best place to get the Metzlers, and what size, should I got to the 180 or stick to the 190? Which model of Metzler also?

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

DarkGixxer,

Why would you suggest the 207rr's, I thought they were more of a race compound, versus a longer life street tire. I like the Metzler's a lot.

·
Registered
4,268 Posts

I wouldn't reccomend Metzlers if you are wanting good tire life-they are BADASS tires, but won't last a real long time. I think hammer mentioned the bt 010 bridgestones earlier and he is spot on with that reccomendation. I have a lot of time on those as well and they probably have 85-90% of the grip with probably 30-40% more tire life. They do grip very well, in fact I have done some knee dragging on a set when it wasn't even 50 outside so they are really great tires. They also handle great, and warm up super quick...go for em

-Spooner

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts

I got to say that I love my Michelin Pilots. I won't ever go back to the old Dunlop 207's. I had too many rides where I would feel the tires slide out on me. If you don't want to spend alot more then at least buy the Metzler M1's.

·
Registered
4 Posts

I would agree with gixxerman. I think the pilots dive into the corners better then the 207s. If thats your style.I picked up a rear for about 180 $.

·
Registered
645 Posts

yeah, I can't agree more with Hammer on this one. I've tried giving all I could with the tech on tires thing.. and it is a preference. I have to agree with Hammer again on the Bridgestones. I think that even when they harden from heating and cooling, and over and over of that wear n' tear... that the BT's or Battlax's are just the best choice for maintaining grip. I wore my last set out entirely and they had decent grip until they had to be replaced. I'm on D207's now and am not complaining, but do notice more confidence was there when I had my Bridgestones. So I say cheers for them! I'd go for the gusto' personally.... I'm thinking of going back to them, but trying the BT012SS's. But in a 180/55 again still.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Well I guess Bridgestones or the Battalax's might be the way to go. Where are the best places to get tires?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts